PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat horse meat?

Jinx
07-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Given the opportunity, would you eat some horse?

Shauna
07-23-2018, 04:46 PM
Given the horse meat scandal a few years ago, I probably already have

Vermachtnis
07-23-2018, 05:10 PM
Given the horse meat scandal a few years ago, I probably already have

Yea same here. Of course I'd eat it on purpose too if given the choice.

Psychotic
07-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Damn right I would, horse is pretty vanilla. I'd eat any meat. Crocodile? Yes. Hedgehog? Damn straight. Human? Too smurfing right, get in my belly tasty homo sapiens.

Freya
07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Grew up on a horse ranch. Couldn't do it. Known and been around far too many to consider eating them.

maybee
07-24-2018, 02:53 AM
I don't even like eating cows......

Damn right I would, horse is pretty vanilla. I'd eat any meat. Crocodile? Yes. Hedgehog? Damn straight. Human? Too smurfing right, get in my belly tasty homo sapiens.

Hedgehog? How dare!

Bubba
07-24-2018, 07:09 AM
Me and my friend Chris actually had a horsemeat steak at a restaurant when we went to Brussels. I normally have my steaks medium-rare but the waiter said they could only cook it medium or above. I’m not sure why that was the case.

Anyway, it was nice enough. I’d still opt for the classic cow steak given the choice. I remember it came with this green vegetable mash which looked disgusting but tasted bloody phenomenal.

Old Manus
07-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Given the opportunity
Well we've had plenty of that over here

Wolf Kanno
07-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Loony BoB
07-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I don't view horses as any different on the meat-meter than cows. But I don't know if I like horse meat or not, so if I don't, then I'd not eat it again.

Mr. Carnelian
07-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Would I eat a horse? Of course! With some sauce.

Cell
08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
I don't like horses anyway so it wouldn't be an issue.

Biggy_Wambo
08-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Of course, the finest would be the mane. BBQ mane is a delicacy where I'm from. It's also used to hang other meats from the rafters.

Leeza
08-12-2018, 03:58 AM
Absolutely not. I went from vegetarian to vegan since my time here so horses are definitely not on my menu. Vegan banana cake is though. Just baked some and it is very yummy. :) :cat:

Iceglow
08-16-2018, 01:01 PM
I've already had Horse meat before, and not just because I live in the UK and the horse meat scandal.

It's fairly plain compared to Venison but it's pretty good. Lean and tender.

Bubba, horse, like venison needs to be well cooked. When consuming rare steak the meat is primarily actually raw. However, eating Venison, Horse, Pork or Chicken will likely leave you with food poisoning and worms at best.

Chemical
08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
I have eaten: lamb, cow, chicken, fish, pig, octopus, cuddle fish, any number of molluscs, kangaroo, crocodile, bear, moose, cobra, cockroach, cricket, ants, witchetty grub, tarantula, squirrel, elk, shark (gummy), goat, ox, rabbit, quail, duck, goose....

I haven't knowingly eaten horse but based on my history of animal consumption it might be rather discriminatory of me not to given the opportunity or invitation.

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/2066822/file-4072216290-jpg/blog-files/infographic-horsemeat-660.jpg?t=1467764905776&width=660&height=2640

Vasher
09-10-2018, 03:39 PM
I love sea food, “sushi” is amazing, so I’ll opt for the seahorse handroll.

Pops, bro, and I stopped in TJ (Tijuana) for a bit after our last fishing trip out of Mexico (awhile ago, before the cartel stuff got too crazy). While eating the nastiest tacos ever, I pointed out that the droves of stray dogs/cats had “suddenly” vanished.

Legitimately the worst tacos ever.

Lord Golbez
09-14-2018, 04:42 PM
No, but I also don't eat cow meat, or pig meat, or chicken meat, or fish meat ....

Lord Golbez
09-14-2018, 05:06 PM
That's a ridiculous distinction and also wrong. Arguably, there's even such a thing as vegetable meat.

Lord Golbez
09-14-2018, 06:02 PM
You're meat.

Lord Golbez
09-14-2018, 07:08 PM
seeing as i am not a fish, you are correct

I really thought you were a fish. It was the only thing that would explain your irrational position. :p

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the slapfight but bloody hell. Meat is the flesh of an animal that is eaten as food. A fish is an animal while a vegetable isn't. Fish is meat. Vegetable is not meat. End.

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 05:33 PM
That doesn't change the fact that you're outnumbered on this one. Both me and the sassy rando agree.

Shauna
09-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Jinx will fight this as hard as BoB fights soup being a drink

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 07:11 PM
At least Loony BoB had his inane arguments about soup. All you've done on your hill is say "It's not meat tho". What else have you got on this fish scenario? Surprise me.

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 07:36 PM
What about delicious shark meat?

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
it's not meat!

btw sharks are fish?No! But they come from the fucking sea. Are you saying sharks don't have meat too?

Lord Golbez
09-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Yes. Sharks are fish. It's whales that aren't fish.

Vermachtnis
09-15-2018, 10:04 PM
If fish aren't meat, then what are they?

Psychotic
09-15-2018, 10:07 PM
My question mark was not me not understanding that sharks aren't fish, I smurfing know that. It's me questioning Psy how sharks can be meat when fish aren't meat.What about swordfish and tuna steaks? Also sharks are fish, but are they meat?

Chibi Youkai
09-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Sure. Almost ordered it once at a restaurant in Japan, but the waitress told me that I wouldn't like it, and only later said it was because it was horse. Apparently they didn't want to serve it to the Americans.

Bri
09-16-2018, 03:51 AM
I'll give it a try

Psychotic
09-16-2018, 07:13 AM
If I eat a mermaid is that meat or is it fish?

Rez09
09-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Which half are you eating?

Psychotic
09-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Which half are you eating?But does it really matter if it's all just meat?

Which half are you eating?

:smug:Steady.

Spuuky
09-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Horses don't have meat. If you ask me what their flesh is, it's horses. Definitely not meat.

TouristOperator
09-17-2018, 03:21 AM
It would depend on whether it was a horse with no name

Psychotic
09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Hey is an octopus meat or fish?

Vermachtnis
09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Octopus=Mollusk=Snail=Escargot=Meat

Chibi Youkai
09-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Animal = meat. Fish are animals.

On a random note @Verm, lawl. It cracks me up that you made that your signature.

Vasher
09-18-2018, 08:35 AM
It would depend on whether it was a horse with no name

But in the dessert you can’t remember your name. So, is it that the horse didn’t have a name, or was it forgotten?

The dessert turns to sea and you let that horse run free ‘cause there’s so much freakin’ fish meat available... and possibly some seahorse.

Shauna
09-18-2018, 06:42 PM
nah

Neigh*

Shauna
09-18-2018, 06:48 PM
I can just close the forum now I guess

Psychotic
09-18-2018, 07:23 PM
On the subject of horse meat, is seahorse flesh consumed for nourishment meat or fish?

Spuuky
09-18-2018, 10:38 PM
Does it matter that it's consumed for nourishment? Is it classified differently if it's consumed for pleasure?

Psychotic
09-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Let's have Jinx answer the nourishment question first and then move onto pleasure.

Bubba
09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Also, Hippopotamus translates as ‘River Horse’ in Greek. We should include them in the discussion.

Lord Golbez
09-20-2018, 06:29 PM
You don't eat hippps. Hungry, hungry hippos eat you.

Vermachtnis
09-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Yea, good luck eating a hippo.

https://i.imgur.com/lAgoied.gif

Spuuky
09-21-2018, 12:53 AM
I mean, there are (bad) definitions of meat for which fish are excluded. But those definitions also exclude chicken and turkey.

TouristOperator
09-21-2018, 05:00 AM
I wonder if you should eat horse meat if you are horse from screaming about whether fish are meat

Jiro
09-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Given the right circumstances, I can see myself eating horse meat. But it is not something I would likely seek out. Many domesticated or pseudo-domesticated animals as food still causes that strange adverse response for me. I know it is effectively an irrational thought but I am content with certain aspects of irrationality, such as this one. But when you gotta eat or die, Phar Lap is going on the BBQ.

Sorceress Claire
03-29-2019, 04:01 AM
I could never eat horse meat. Horses are fully capable of thougts, sentience, and emotions. Any animal that is capable of love is off the menu for me. Not only that humans have used horses for millenia for work and battle and transportation. I find it apprehensible that one could justify eating what should be considered a companion animal. Where would we be as a species today without the aide of horses for trade tranport among other things. It definitely would have slowed us down as a developing civilization. Same with cows I don't eat them either all they do is eat grass all day they hurt no one and nothing and don't deserve to die. I can't eat pig either or basically most any animal for moral reasons. Humans don't need meat to survive. The only thing meat has that plants don't is vitamin B12 and there is a perfectly fine synthetic B12 called cyanocobalamin. If not that then one can get B12 from milk. So long as the milk comes from a humane no kill farm with well treated cows then there is no moral issue in that regard. Besides cows are known to produce too much milk; more than it's offspring is able to consume, so it's not really stealing from it's young either. In the amino acid department brown rice, whole grains, beans, nuts, soy, veggies, fruits, all those combined posses a perfect amino acid completeness score all one would need is a cyanocobalamin.

Enjoying meat when you biologically don't need it is basically like enjoying the pain and suffering of an innocent lifeform.. unacceptable.

Scruffington
03-29-2019, 04:51 AM
I could never eat horse meat. Horses are fully capable of thougts, sentience, and emotions. Any animal that is capable of love is off the menu for me.

It's interesting to see other people's environmental ethics, especially when it comes to eating meat.

So the hard limit for you is if the animal is capable of love. What about other species of animals that aren't capable of love? How do you even define love, and why is that the basis for whether or not you can eat the other species?

The rest of your post implies that you're vegetarian or vegan, but your wording really confused me. It almost sounds like you would support the consumption of life forms including fish because they aren't capable of love.

Sorceress Claire
03-29-2019, 05:32 AM
I define love as the emotional capacity to care for and show affection to others. Mother cows are known to be very attentive, protective, nurturing, and even affectionate with their young. Cows have even been known to mourn the death of another cow. Elephants also mourn their dead loved ones years after the fact... visiting the place where they died years later. Many complex mammals showcase human levels of love and care for their loved ones. That's what I define as love. Fish, sharks, shrimp etc on the other hand don't seem to posses any capacity for love. There is a species of shark that even cannibalizes it's siblings. As far as we know all mammals possess a neocortex where sentience and emotional capacity is possible some mammals have a larger neocortex than others.. fish as we know it don't possess one. Whales have a neocortex that is about 78-92% the volume as a humans. Meaning they are very smart and very emotional social beings. They have even been know to save the lives of humans they have no connection too... whales and dolphins are amazing and precious. I'm very much disgusted with and loathe whalers and whale meat eaters with almost every fiber of my being.

So to answer your question I do eat fish, shellfish, shrimp etc on rare occasion but no other meat. I do want to try lobster and crab though as I never got to.

Yes I'm aware that my points may appear contradictory. However it's only because I wasn't posing my point right at first but I'll leave that error in my OP alone. I'll clarify here though... I find the consumption of meat bad if it involves the death of a sentient, emotional, complex thinking animal.. but not so in regards to very simple creatures like fish and insects. It's exceptionally wrong to eat the meat of animals that have served humans and worked for us for millenia like dogs and horses. I'd NEVER visit the immoral nations that eat poor dogs ugh.. screw South Korea, Vietnam, China and Nigeria:down:

Christmas
05-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Only those that is a virgin no more. A dignity of a horse must be respected.

Tersron
02-08-2024, 11:08 AM
No, I wouldn't eat horse meat. Instead, if you're looking for a delicious alternative, I highly recommend trying out an easy honey lemon chicken recipe (https://30minutesmeals.com/crispy-honey-lemon-chicken/). It's a flavorful dish that satisfies your cravings without the need for unconventional meats. Plus, it's simple to prepare and bursting with sweet and tangy flavors that everyone will enjoy!