PDA

View Full Version : Favorites: Old or New?

Karifean
10-27-2018, 06:49 PM
We probably all have those favorite games we grew up with that we have endless nostalgia for. But what about newer, fresher experiences? Do they stand up to the games you played decades ago, or is your games list dominated by games of ye olde good times?

This is about when you PLAYED the games, not when they released. If you only played Final Fantasy VI last year and found it to be the greatest game ever, that's still very different from having grown up with the game and still having it stand the test of time.

Also I don't mean just your literal #1 favorite game, just generally games you would add to your list of favorites.

Spuuky
10-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Some of each? A lot of the old games are still great, some new games are also great.

Lord Golbez
10-27-2018, 07:19 PM
I'd say the timeless quality would be more apparent for someone who first played FF6 this year and still found it to be the greatest game. An old game "standing the test of time" for someone who played it long ago often just means looking through nostalgia tinted glasses.

Anyway. I would say it's a pretty decent mix. The truly exceptional games from old tend to remain in high spots, but other games I just like a lot tend to get pushed out by newer stuff. My favorites list is still largely dominated by PSX era despite that neither being the beginning of my gaming (which started with Atari and went through NES and SNES) nor all that recent. A few games from SNES era still cling to my top 10 or close but tend to get pushed down by newer games like Persona 5.

Psychotic
10-27-2018, 07:31 PM
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time a while ago. It... was just bad. I'm sorry. I really wish I'd played it when I was younger because without the nostalgia factor it was atrocious.

I think newer games tend to be objectively much better and more user friendly than older games, but the power of having played something at the time when it was cutting edge was something else. I find it really hard to compare them.

Lord Golbez
10-27-2018, 07:43 PM
I also hate Ocarina of Time. I played it during, I think, the PS3 era though before I had a PS3. I always wonder if I would have liked it had I played it at the time of release, but I'm pretty skeptical. The world just feels so bland and empty.

Galuf
10-27-2018, 09:46 PM
I got into FF like... 4 years ago. maybe 5.
I would say i have no nostalgia for the olden FF's but they definately are some fo the funnest games i have played.

I would rant about how games nowadays are made with no soul but im not sure this is the thread.
I will say though, theres a clear difference between games made 10 years ago and now. Nowadays its less content for more money. back then it was more content for the same price.
Not that all modern games are like this ofcourse, i havent played much but games like darksouls and stuff are genuinely greatly crafted games.
So... i'm not really too sure if i have a favourite time period. I loved playing games back in the day like Halo and pokemon and stuff, but they dont have the same impact on me as they used to. And newer games i have played are more fresh so i feel like i like them more, either way i'd say theres going to be bias either way. Be it Nostalgia or recency bias.

Spuuky
10-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Ocarina of Time is a bad example because it's actually not a good game.

Lord Golbez
10-28-2018, 04:17 AM

I'm starting to come around on you.

Wolf Kanno
11-26-2018, 06:19 AM
I've had a few games recently jump into my Top 100 lists. I still find MGSV to be a fantastic game and despite being out for a few years I still pop it in to do some FOB multiplayer or screw around with the mission objectives. I came late to the Soulsborne franchise but DS1 and Bloodborne hit my list instantly. Persona 5 almost overthrew Persons 3 as my favorite entry when I finished it, but nostalgia kicked in and saved P3's standing. Though that could change with a new playthrough of 5. Xenoblade Chronicles was an instant favorite as was Nier: Automata and Catherine.

I feel older games that you grew up with tend to build a foundation into what you want in a game, which is why its hard to overcome them with newer experiences because your technically for something similar to what you grew up with. I noticed this as I started playing more classic gaming and despite playing some titles decades after their release, it has not been difficult for me to absolutely enjoy them or at least be very contrarian to their faults. A bigger issue I have with modern gaming is that I'm not terribly fond of certain gaming trends that newer titles mold themselves into. I don't feel new games are worse than older games, they simply appeal to a different audience whereas the trends I love are often antiquated or out of fashion. A series like Dark Souls appeals to me because the game worlds are set up like a Metroidvania style I love and the cheap deaths and glowing sense of small victories bring me back to my arcade roots. I never got into the competitive multiplayer scene so games like Fortnite or Overwatch really hold little appeal to me.

Slothy
11-28-2018, 09:58 PM
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time a while ago. It... was just bad. I'm sorry. I really wish I'd played it when I was younger because without the nostalgia factor it was atrocious.

Yeah it wasn't really any better at the time if I'm being honest. I beat it once I think. Tried playing it again once. Didn't even make it past the Deku tree before wondering what the fuck I was doing wasting my time on it.

maybee
11-29-2018, 05:47 AM

Navi and that Water Temple can go and die in a hole.

Wolf Kanno
11-29-2018, 05:56 AM
I generally agree that Ocarina of Time is a game whose reputation is largely based more on nostalgia than objective reality. It's hardly a train wreck but far from being the perfect masterpiece a generation claims it to be, let alone the best Zelda title.

With that said, I feel Majora's Mask has held up better but that might be due to its radical game design making it stand out more. I still don't feel like the N64 aged as well as people say it has.

karen_the_witch
01-15-2019, 12:19 PM
I don't return to games I've played once. I mean, games with plot. Why so? I am afraid that knowledge of all key moments will make the game being not so interesting and spoil my first opinion.
So should I choose new? Actually no. I still like old things I've played before. Sometimes they even seem to be better then new one.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-16-2019, 05:50 AM
This is a very well put together video describing the story and subtext of Ocarina of Time, and how it may be the saddest Zelda game.

If you can't be bothered with the whole thing, I highly recommend from the 20 minute mark onwards to the end. Representing the stark transition from childhood to adulthood and how it changes not only the environment to a more bleak atmosphere.

I can't do it justice so if you have 10 or so minutes give the last 13 a shot.

GyUcwsjyd8Q

Loony BoB
01-16-2019, 07:50 AM
Having played the N64 Goldeneye 007 (I'd played it at release too) and Ocarina of Time (first time playing it) within the last couple of years, I'd say Ocarina of Time wasn't completely bad and the main issues I had were that I felt stressed because I was playing it on Twitch stream and felt obligated to hurry up a lot when I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing at times. Some things literally made zero sense to me. But there was a lot of enjoyable stuff in it too (I rarely play a game and not enjoy it though, so perhaps I'm not one to be a critic).

007, though. Wow. From one of my favourite games in my youth, it was atrocious. Literally terrible. How the hell did we enjoy that? Replaying that game dramatically lowered my opinion of it. I'm glad I enjoyed it so much way back whenever, but it is not good anymore, not even close.

I think for the most part innovation isn't nearly as good as it was back then, so we see a lot less "new" stuff these days that captures our imagination. But the games are, on a gameplay level, astoundingly better. Few games stand the test of time extremely well, but there are some - Final Fantasy games are quite replayable for me, although mostly from FFV onwards. Outside of FF, Civ games held up very well, Age of Empires II is still absolutely excellent and I play it with friends to this day, Left 4 Dead is still awesome, Freelancer is everything I hope that Star Citizen will match.

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2019, 06:17 AM
I've been playing Romancing SaGa 2 a lot lately; his being a remaster of an older 16-bit title that doesn't really change a whole lot from the original and frankly, I've actually been really surprised by how well this game holds up. Assuming you can get past the quirky game design, which might be a love it or hate it experience depending on the person. it's been a really great game so far and I'm almost willing to say it probably cracked my Top 100.

For a game I loved when I was younger that I have a hard time coming back to, I would likely say Xenosaga Episode 3. Granted, it's hardly a bad game and is still pretty fun, but I remember loving everything about this game when it originally came out, but a decade later and my own thoughts changing on the series, I walked away from a replay a few years ago feeling really underwhelmed by it. That's why I do find it important to replay some older games because while a few will always remain comfort food for you, others can change for you over time.

The Captain
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Three that spring to mind are Xenoblade, Persona 5 and The Witcher 3, especially with the DLC. Those games, while I was playing them just stood out as so well made and I could not put them down. Even now, having finished them, I almost have an itch to start again which to me is the mark of a game that'll stand the test of time in my pantheon.

Take care all.

botnslave
02-21-2019, 06:28 AM
Wow alot of hate for oot in this thread. I played it at the time and while it was a GIGANTIC hype train I feel alot of it was deserved.
It didn't feel hollow or empty necessarily at the time, and really pioneered the modern concept of "open world" imo. The controls were pretty good. It looked amazing, and the story and game mechanics worked well I thought.
It's thought it was pretty unanimously heralded as a landmark title for gaming as a whole.
Each their own tho.

On topic: I get fairly entrenched in the "oldie but a goodie" gaming habits. I haven't tried a ton on new games that would permanently dethrone any of my old faves but there are some good ones. Red dead 2 is excellent, persona 5, boom beach as a mobile example. But I doubt any would be on my list if asked in another 5 yrs