PDA

View Full Version : Avengers: Endgame - Unmarked Spoilers in this thread!

charliepanayi
12-07-2018, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

charliepanayi
04-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Bumping as it's out this week!

Bubba
04-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Hope anyone heading to watch it enjoys it!

So is this the last one?

charliepanayi
04-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Hope anyone heading to watch it enjoys it!

So is this the last one?

:lol:

I suspect there'll be more...

Loony BoB
04-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Saw it last night. Man, fuck that cheeseburger bit, I almost cried and I've never cried at cinema. Best laughs were Hulk smashing and Cap's "I know..." bit. I'll probably get stick for this but for both my partner and I the worst bit was the immersion breaking woman power scene, it really wasn't necessary, and if they want to give women more relevance how about giving them more screen time instead? Maybe give Black Widow even quarter as much mourning as you give Iron Man?

But overall I liked it. Had the right mix of humour and seriousness at the right times, and had feels.

charliepanayi
04-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Hawkeye: I must sacrifice myself!
Black Widow: No, it has to be me. For you see, you have more Oscar nominations
*she dies*
Banner: Looks like I'm safe then!

Much better than Infinity War (not difficult admittedly), some really great moments. A great film? Ehhhhh probably not. Hovering between 6 and 7 out of 10 for me.

Fox
04-27-2019, 12:11 AM
Saw it last night. Man, smurf that cheeseburger bit, I almost cried and I've never cried at cinema. Best laughs were Hulk smashing and Cap's "I know..." bit. I'll probably get stick for this but for both my partner and I the worst bit was the immersion breaking woman power scene, it really wasn't necessary, and if they want to give women more relevance how about giving them more screen time instead? Maybe give Black Widow even quarter as much mourning as you give Iron Man?

But overall I liked it. Had the right mix of humour and seriousness at the right times, and had feels.

You know, I thought the woman power bit would have been really cool if the character they were backing up wasn't Carol smurfing Danvers, the one who is so ridiculously OP she had to be the other side of the galaxy for most of the movie so she couldn't just insta-win every encounter. Seeing she had just one-hit KO'd the alien flying mega-fortress about 10 seconds ago, all the characters they brought in to protect her kinda ended up looking rather puny and irrelevant.

Cool shot, but swing and a miss on that one.

Overall - I liked it but wasn't blown away by it. I prefer Infinity War, but this was still a mostly extremely good movie.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-27-2019, 05:41 AM
During the female team up I was distracted by wondering how convenient it was that all of them happened to be standing in the same spot of this huge and expansive battlefield. But it was awesome, and I immediately classified it under the "Rule of Cool".

Was reading an interesting article on how the potential Black Widow movie could make Natasha's death retroactively emotional, but it just doesn't work as it is presently.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/26/18516683/avengers-endgame-spoilers-black-widow-movie-standalone-marvel-mcu

The moment is underserved both by the way her scrap with Hawkeye is framed as a “fun” moment pretty much up until the jump and the degree to which Black Widow as a character hasn’t been given the proper room to breathe despite being in over 7 movies.

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but some reviews are overselling it. I think people are in their honeymoon phase right now and super hyped over the idea of getting a climax to a 20+ movie journey, but when the dust settles I think it'll sit pretty at a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Aulayna
04-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Overall I really enjoyed Endgame. It's funny as that "all female" moment, as soon as it happened I said to my friend "this is going to be all over the internet" - and 'lo behold.

I must admit though, as much as I liked Captain Marvel's own movie - her presence in Endgame felt largely redundant, she was too OP for the situation and it felt like the writers really didn't know what to do with her.

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2019, 08:14 PM
About the ladies suddenly being all in shot I thought, "well, this is gratuitous, but not in the way it used to be. I'll take it."

Mr. Carnelian
04-30-2019, 06:50 PM
Overall - I liked it but wasn't blown away by it.

Same. I'm not sure whether I'd give it a 7/10, or an 8/10, I go back and forth.

Shauna
05-02-2019, 08:58 PM
The last few minutes of the film is all I really needed in life so...

I guess that's it for me then.

Cell
05-02-2019, 09:24 PM
I was supposed to see this on Friday with some folk from work, but it's fallen through again.

-sigh-

Sephex
05-04-2019, 03:02 AM
It was good. Like most in this thread I wasn't blown away by it, but I also have no real gripes with it. I thought it was a respectful way to usher out the old and hint at the new. I don't think the next Marvel arc will be as successful as this one, but at the same time I don't see these movies going anywhere anytime soon.

It's funny to think how much I didn't think it would work back in the day. I remember hearing about the plans for the MCU back when Iron Man was the only film out. Besides enjoying seeing Samuel L. Jackson, I rolled my eyes at that post credit bit in Iron Man. Even when I saw early photos of the first Avengers movie I thought that while crossover stuff may work in comics, doing something like that would be too goofy and bloated to have so many different character with different tones being in one spot. Now looking back the original Avengers movie is so quaint.

I got a Mortal Kombat Trilogy vibe watching the movie's climax. I mean this in a spiritual sense. Back in the original games like most people around my age I really got into the MK series. When Mortal Kombat Trilogy dropped the concept of the game alone along with seeing all the versions of all characters in one spot amazed me. It pushed the spectacle so far past the point of absurdity there was order in the chaos. That same vibe I got. I'm sitting there watching this remembering this all started with a disgraced alcoholic actor punching The Dude himself, Jeff Bridges with a damn bald cap on. And here I am watching this...madness unfold and going, "Yeah, I understand this."

There were many other things I enjoyed about the film. To sum up everything, from a big picture sense the movie was satisfying, but nothing truly outstanding. However, there were plenty of really cool moments that were pulled off gracefully sprinkled throughout the film. Also, the pacing was well done. It both felt and didn't feel it's length.

Freya
05-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Okay saw it.

I feel... hmmm. I feel the first like half was longer then necessary.

Fat thor was the best part

Also how did cap put the soul stone back? Cause the soul was already taken. So him taking that one back had no point, it was useless. You're just stuck with that one

I'm interested in seeing how old gamora melds with the guardians as well.

Fox
05-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Also how did cap put the soul stone back? Cause the soul was already taken. So him taking that one back had no point, it was useless. You're just stuck with that one

He just gave it to Red Skull and let him deal with it! Oh to by a fly on the wall for that one

WarZidane
05-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Yep, Cap reuniting with Red Skull is something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Anyway, personally I thought it was great. A lot of the complaints I'm seeing (not here, elsewhere) are people just not grasping the explanations they give in the movie or being unable to assume a few things (I'm glad they don't feel the need to go into exposition for every little thing. Why are peter parker's classmates still in high school, you ask? duh, they were also snapped)

Fox
05-04-2019, 11:27 AM
I also liked how slow it was to get into The Business, as it were. It really took it's time letting it sink in that half of everyone is dead and what that does to the world and those that are left.

For me the second act was the weak one, firstly because I'm generally not big on Time Travel gimmicks, with a few exceptions. The way they did it was pretty OK all things considered, but some of the 'interacting with our past selves' comedy felt a bit out of place given the situation.

Especially Hawkeye and Black Widow fighting each other over who would get to nobly kill themselves. Firstly most of the scene was weirdly 'funny' as they argued and fought over who would get to die. But also I thought the whole point of the soul stone scene in Infinity War was that you had to sacrifice someone you loved, not just 'someone you love has to die here'. So Thanos throwing Gamora off showed his resolve to do what he believed was necessary. Clint and Natasha on the other hand, have no problem with *self*-sacrifice, but were completely unwilling to sacrifice someone else and do 'whatever it takes'.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-04-2019, 01:46 PM
I feel... hmmm. I feel the first like half was longer then necessary.

Yeah.

I can't articulate it, but I felt like it simultaneously buckled under its own weight but also could have been shorter. I guess for me the parts that dragged really smurfing dragged and the parts that were good moved from scene to scene to scene pretty quickly. The first part was "Cool everyone's spent a long time being sad, next?" and the second part was like "wait, I wasn't done watching that yet".

Jessweeee♪
05-04-2019, 11:02 PM

Better question is, how did he get the ether back into Jane?

Mr. Carnelian
05-04-2019, 11:13 PM

Space magic? :shrug:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-05-2019, 02:14 AM

Sounds hot.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2019, 05:57 AM
Finally watched this tonight. Glad I waited until the hype was starting to die down and my two big movie fan co-workers have so many issues with it that I didn't exactly jump into this movie with high expectations. With that said, I actually really enjoyed it, and felt it was a better film than Infinity War. Of anything, I was impressed the film was slower and less action packed than Infinity War, which sometimes felt like a loose plot connecting all those CGI fight scenes. There's some good character moments here, and several fun nods to not only the entriety of the MCU but the greater Marvel comic universe itself. I couldn't have been the only person to chuckle when Cap said "Hail Hydra" in the elevator. Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.

Raistlin
05-14-2019, 03:05 AM
Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.

That was my initial thought, but a friend of mine pointed out that Cap could have lived out his life in that alternate timeline and then transported himself back in his old age. Which at least makes a little bit of sense, or at least is plausibly consistent with the movie's loose, pseudo-explanation of time travel.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2019, 05:19 AM
Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.

That was my initial thought, but a friend of mine pointed out that Cap could have lived out his life in that alternate timeline and then transported himself back in his old age. Which at least makes a little bit of sense, or at least is plausibly consistent with the movie's loose, pseudo-explanation of time travel.

Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down. I may just need to re-watch the scene where they discuss the time travel to see if I missed something. I keep getting hanged up on the Sorcerer Supreme's explanation with Hulk.

Cell
05-14-2019, 12:58 PM
It took too long to get going, had a bad ass middle and first part of the final third then came to a screeching halt with the Tony Stark love in, which will the story needed it felt like it became too much and went on for too long.

Fat Thor is my spirit animal.

I'd say a 7 is fair for this. With some tighter editing it could easily have been an 8.

Also no Michael Pena. :(

Raistlin
05-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down.

Hence only a "little bit of sense." I thought the movie tried to present Rogers as having lived out his life in their world, which I would agree makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

WarZidane
05-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down.

Hence only a "little bit of sense." I thought the movie tried to present Rogers as having lived out his life in their world, which I would agree makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Apparently the writers and directors have different views on it, the writers see it as him living out his life in the main timeline (which requires you to just accept that it's a predestination paradox, Cap was always Peggy's husband who is never actually named).
Meanwhile the directors see it as an alternate timeline (which requires you to accept that apparently you don't need to return to the place/time you came from)

I'm fine with either one, to be honest. With both scenarios you can either just handwave it away because it's a nice conclusion for Cap, or you can start poking holes in it. :p

Scotty_ffgamer
05-14-2019, 09:08 PM
I personally like to think he went and had his dance, and then just found that bench and just sat there for however many years until everyone noticed him.

Mercen-X
05-17-2019, 12:13 AM
You know, I thought the woman power bit would have been really cool if the character they were backing up wasn't Carol smurfing Danvers.

Cool shot, but swing and a miss on that one.Hand to God, this woman power bit would have been greatly improved if they had assembled immediately before the arrival of Danvers. When the girls say they'll back her up, pretty much the only reason Danvers doesn't just shrug and say "no that's okay I got this" is because Captain Marvel is now established as just being into that whole woman power thing. She obvs didn't want to step on anyone's toes by implying she didn't need their help, which she didn't. Instead, she let them play in the sandbox beside knowing full-well their attempts to help would look pretty meaningless in the grander scope. It's like when Superman shows up the rest of the Justice League. Well, you know the six-member lot... 'cause it's just even worse when he appears to outclass the 1000+ membership Justice League. Which in Marvel's case, if Nova, Quasar, and Warlock don't make their MCU appearance soon, Danvers pretty much outranks every character to date and then some. I wonder if anyone from the Eternals will show up just to put Danvers down a peg.

Vasher
06-06-2019, 04:11 PM
But also I thought the whole point of the soul stone scene in Infinity War was that you had to sacrifice someone you loved, not just 'someone you love has to die here'. So Thanos throwing Gamora off showed his resolve to do what he believed was necessary. Clint and Natasha on the other hand, have no problem with *self*-sacrifice, but were completely unwilling to sacrifice someone else and do 'whatever it takes'.

In “Infinity War” Red Skull says “lose”, not “sacrifice”. So, if just considering that, Thanos should not have received the Soul Stone. If one is so quick to toss someone off of a cliff in order to attain power, how much did they really love them?

“Intentions”. Both Hawkeye’s and Widow’s are “Noble”, each wants to prevent the others death. Is Thanos’ “Intent” any less “Noble”? In his eyes, no, it is not, he firmly believes that his inevitable “Snap” is for the greater good. Gamora made Quill promise to kill her to prevent Thanos from learning what she knew (the location of the Soul Stone), and though he loved her deeply, he tried to follow through (Thanos used “Reality” to change the blast into bubbles). So, if it’s “for the greater good”, you get a “Love Pass” when killing (I guess).

Regarding Cap returning the Soul Stone, Red Skull had also mentioned that the Stone had its own will/consciousness, which is why it was “hidden” in the first place (and how Skull came to be cursed as it’s eternal “curator”). The Stone heavily valued a singled loved soul, so half of life in the universe would be pretty significant (assuming most are “loved”). It’s power misused/abused, it would yearn for “home”/. Cap could have just called it an Uber, Skull would accept it with open arms (looked like a lonely/desolate place).

The “Infinity Gaunet” comics were released when I was a kid and my buddies and I would race our bikes to the comic book store to get the latest issue, amazing to see it on screen (for the most part). I loved these films. Eager to see what the MCU has for us over the next decade. I wonder if “Black Widow” and “Gaurdians 3” will spin-off/tie in to the next generation of films. Also, I’m hoping GotG3 turns out to be “Asgardians of the Galaxy”. That would be fun.

Bubba
07-21-2019, 12:11 PM
I thought this was the last one...:stare: