PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate in games you love

Karifean
03-14-2019, 11:19 AM
They say emotional attachment is an intensity first and a direction second, so what surprise is it that the games we love the most also have a tendency to get the most to us when they do a misstep somewhere. No game is perfect so it's absolutely normal and natural that you have things you hate even in - or rather especially in - your favorite games ever. Obviously this doesn't make them bad games. At times it can even make us feel foolish, being so affected by flaws whether they are significant ones or not, but at the end of the day doesn't it show just how much we care about these games as a whole?

Talk about some things you hate about your favorite games!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Talk about some things you hate about your favorite games!

Other players.

Lord Golbez
03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
The Tower of Babel in Xenogears. Nuff said.

BoF3/4 - Enough with the damn mandatory minigames! No I do not want to pull ropes on the beach! Let me skip this garbage!

Fynn
03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Holy trout, Kingdom Hearts, can you slow the smurf down please? I thought we were over this when you made all the HD collections available on one platform, but now it turns out insanely important plot details have been relegated to a mobile game with horrendous pacing that is currently still on-going, meaning it requires you to be constantly on top of what's happening there as long as you want to keep up with the narrative going forward???

nomura

why

Also this:
9iRlsYwRtJ4

WarZidane
03-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Ar Tonelico 3's ridiculous fanservice, if only because it makes people think that's the only thing it has going for it (therefore never going near it), when really that's one of the worst parts of the game.

Yakuza games' harder difficulties, which ruin the flow of combat. The entire combo system is made useless by the fact enemies just block and counter every third hit on hard and above, so you end up having to just jab them twice and run away.

There are a few others but "hate" would really be too strong of a word for those.

maybee
03-15-2019, 12:46 AM
Dungeons and puzzles. i not 2 smoart.

Rez09
03-15-2019, 02:07 AM
FFVI - The Maduin flashback

While I appreciate the scene from a narrative point of view, it drags the game's pace down considerably and is the thing I least look forward to in my playthroughs.

Romancing SaGa 3 - rare drop hunting

The game has a generally excellent pace when you know what you are doing and how to do it, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to control for random drops, and it is beyond possible to have some fairly important equipment -- notably the dragon armor -- locked behind something silly in the Workshop that you either have to sacrifice Nora or grind to clear out, and that grind can easily take over six hours for a single drop.

Dungeon Defenders -- the Insane Glitterhelm to Insane Mistymire gap

Can also be seen as the Insane to Nightmare gap, or the 300 to 1000 stat gap -- the problem is roughly the same no matter what you call it. Progress up to this point is fairly straight forward as you progress from stage to stage and grind out better gear, but at this point that model falls apart and you have to either cheese your way into nightmare stats via the Endless Spires bug or grind the crap out of bonus maps and hope to slowly drag yourself up. Things are fine again once you break that hump, but until then, uuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhh.

Civilization V: Vox Populi / Civilization VI -- absolutely idiotically aggressive AI

I, uh, play with people fairly often. I build armies. Big armies. With current era tech. And yet the AI still randomly attacks me like I'm not going to just march over to their cities and murder everything they love. And they do it constantly. Every game. This doesn't make their AI smart, devs; they aren't setting me back, just making my turns take twice as long. That's it. It is infuriating.

Star Ocean 4 -- wasting the UP3 story space

I swear to God, NO ONE can do this right, not Star Trek, and certainly not Star Ocean. The origin story of the UP3 has the room to be one of the most mature and insightful video games stories ever told, with a focus on the emerging hows and whys of the morality and responsibility developed civilizations owe towards less developed ones. Instead we got a story about boogeymen. Grats, T-A, solid day's work.

Wolf Kanno
03-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics - My big issue with it is that the Lion's War is far more interesting than Lucavi/Zodiac Stone story. From a gameplay standpoint, I feel Tactics suffers both from a slow pacing issue (though I would extend that to all of the FFTactics titles) in terms of gaining abilities, and further more, so much of Tactics' abilities feel like filler as opposed to being useful. I mean is there a good reason to ever go after the Aim skills, most of the Dragoon Jump skills, or the tier four elemental spells? There is too much fat, and not enough reason to use any of it either.

Suikoden I and II - For a series that sports a massive cast of characters, it always bothers me that so much of the plot requires a handful of party members to always be on your team. I mean I love Gremio, Viktor, Flik, and Nanami but is it too much to ask for me to be able to really play around with team dynamics in this one? Even the final dungeon runs, you're only allowed to choose half your final team.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I kind of wish the boss battles were more memorable. Granted, the "memorable boss deal" sort of begins here, but I can easily see how many fans feel the more interesting bosses started in the 3D entries. I still like all of them, but they considering the real challenge of getting through their dungeons is, it's a bit of a let down that many of these bosses feel like a formality and in some cases, are hardly as threatening as the creatures guarding them.

Mega Man 2 - I agree with Inafune that Metal Man should have been a more difficult boss. I love Metal Man, but holy hell is he the biggest wimp in this entry. I feel MM2 would be more challenging if Metal Man didn't basically hand you over the best weapon in the series without so much as a protest.

Persona 3 - I wish more thought and time had been put into The Answer, I feel like it had the potential to be a really interesting epilogue but certain story issues combined with being reduced to a pure dungeon crawler did it no favors. For the main game, I wish the pacing in the early game was a bit better. It's hard convincing people to play this entry when it's got one of the more drawn out openings. I also wish that you couldn't date everyone, or at least get into trouble for doing so like in P5. Granted, FES adds a fun scene that hints to this shenanigans, but it would have been better if the game properly implemented it in.

Xenogears - I do wish the combat system and exploration aspect were better refined. The on foot combat suffers from imbalance as you'll steamroll over every random encounter onto to get your face smashed in by some of the games more grueling boss battles. The Gear combat would work better if there wasn't so many ways to exploit accessories to break battles in half, and I love the platforming but the controls are wonky and the silly possibility of getting into a battle while in mid jump makes places like the Tower of Babel a chore. From a story angle, I simply wish Rico's story was properly finished and that Billy's plot wasn't rushed so badly.

Final Fantasy VI - Game is too damn easy. The core challenge can be broken by simply grinding a few extra levels and never letting the Figaro Bros. out of your team. I also love Cyan, but his Bushido ability is poorly implemented and he honestly got screwed over the most in terms of gameplay building. I also wish we got a fight against Gestahl and I feel the Magitek concept should have been used more throughout the game.

MGS3 - The medical mechanic is cute but laughably bad in it's implementation. Probably would have just dropped it. I also wish the Cobra Unit had more personality and presence like FOXHOUND did in MGS1.

Chrono Trigger - Kind of wish the writers were on the same page about the time travel mechanics because lord are there a few problems here. I wish Triple Techs were more useful and less bragging rights rewards.

Lord Golbez
03-15-2019, 03:59 AM
True. Hard to think of any triple tech that beats a solid double tech/ single tech combo such as Luminaire and Antipode 3.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-17-2019, 11:47 PM
I really don't like how some RPG's like Tales of Vesperia will have "secret missions" during boss battles.

Like, knock your enemy off the boat to get an extra item, or strike a giant's leg with a specific attack at a specific second to get an extra item. Counter attack at a specific time for extra money, etc.

If I have to retry to the point it makes me want to pull my hair out, I'm just gonna take the loss, step back, and remember why i'm playing in the first place.

Pretty much anything that has a "time trial" aspect to it I hate. If I have to retry something more than twice, I'll likely just move on. Not only do I have other games I could be playing, I have other hobbies, too. Hard pass.