PDA

View Full Version : Is it true SE is considering to remake this game after FF7R?

8ther
04-23-2019, 11:21 PM
I was watching video by The Night Sky Prince on the cancelled PS2 remakes of FFVII, VIII, and IX, at the 3:38 mark of the video, he mention that "there are talks for a remake of VIII after FF7R"

https://youtu.be/M4hs7IEAsWs?t=220

Is there any truth to this?

Vermachtnis
04-24-2019, 12:49 AM
Please look forward to it in 2028.

Shiva95
04-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I would like a remake of FFVIII, but I really think they should remake FFVI first.

Loony BoB
04-24-2019, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't expect FFVIII remake until considerable time has passed. I think it has help up pretty well compared to VII graphics-wise (I mean, it's obviously nothing on today's stuff but still) and I don't think it has even half of the demand that VII has, so justifying it would be tricky for SE. I think VI is more likely, with VIII maybe in about ten years, and not to the scale of VII's remake. Maybe an HD version a la FFX.

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2019, 09:30 PM
I feel it would happen, not like SE hasn't hinted they've wanted to do remakes for most of the FFs that haven't so far. It may really come down to how the VII Remake works out, but I imagine it won't get a remake on that scale unless the engine they're using for VIIR is designed to be easy to work with and repurposed for it. As BoB said, I'm not sure if it will happen after VIIR anyway as Nomura mentioned in a past interview when asked about future FF remakes after VIIR that he is a bit disappointed V and VI were skipped over, so maybe after them. Course, this all comes down to how the VII remake works out for SE. While I'm pretty confident in it's eventual success, whether that translates to cost-efficiency on the developer side may change how they do remakes of future installments.

Lord Golbez
04-25-2019, 01:58 AM
I don't think it's true. The FF7 remake has been an idea that's been floated around for almost as long as the games been out at this point. It's always been an idea that Square expressed interest in. There's no parallel to that for FF8 or any other game in the series. FF8 seems almost forgotten, given that it hasn't seen releases corresponding to recent ones for FF7 and FF9. Even if it isn't, it's not likely we'll be looking at a remake on the scale of FF7, which is taking forever.

Vermachtnis
04-25-2019, 02:05 AM
The funny thing is, I got a call [a couple years ago] from Square, because they wanted to rerelease the PC version, and they asked me if I knew where the gold master was,

They apparently lost the code for VIII.
Source (https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/14/isnt-ps4-xbox-switch-port-final-fantasy-8-preservation-may-answer/)

Lord Golbez
04-25-2019, 02:54 AM
How do you lose the code for something that was available on PS3 for download?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-25-2019, 08:30 AM

That's generous lol

Rez09
04-26-2019, 01:42 AM

I suspect the release version is different than the development version. I hear the same thing happened to Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 remake was a ground-up rebuild.

Wolf Kanno
04-26-2019, 03:45 AM

I suspect the release version is different than the development version. I hear the same thing happened to Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 remake was a ground-up rebuild.

Yeah it was, the models for Sora and Riku were taken from the tutorial segment from Dream Drop Distance.

Lord Golbez
04-26-2019, 05:11 PM
So then, they do still have code for a version of the game, right?

maybee
04-26-2019, 08:24 PM
To be honest I don't think that SE cares much about FFVIII anymore, unless it includes Rinoa or Squall. I would love for SE to prove me wrong though.

Lord Golbez
04-26-2019, 09:38 PM
Good news. FFVIII does include Rinoa AND Squall.

maybee
04-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Good news. FFVIII does include Rinoa AND Squall.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/04a1753bdc9ba3c21b7edb0997ad5c62/tenor.gif?itemid=7443414

tony123
04-27-2019, 04:38 PM

2028???? Bah. More like 2050. THen it will get delayed until 2060. Seriously though I wouldn't take anything seriously a youtuber says that hasn't already been officially confirmed by Square. For all we know the 'talks' that they are referring to is just forum chatter that they found on Reddit. In fact more times than not in the youtube culture these days their supposed 'sources' often don't come from anything more reliable than reddit threads they looked at.

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2019, 08:23 PM

Well I'm just a layman idk anything about game development but my basic understanding is having a finished build is not the same thing as having all of the many individual assets used to make the game, and most of the original data being gone makes it difficult to do a "remaster" as we saw with other titles. So anything with FFVIII would have to be a port as we saw with PSN/Steam or something completely remade from the ground up. And idk if there's enough love out there for FFVIII when compared to other FF titles to convince them a remake would be worth while :(

Example
05-02-2019, 02:30 PM
I doubt it, seeing how 8 is the only FF from that era that Square didn't bother porting to PS4/Xbox One/Switch, we're more likely to get a FF9 remake instead. Not to mention Square has been dead silent about the FF7 remake and its release seems less and less certain with each passing year.

Cell
05-02-2019, 09:26 PM
I'd probably still buy it, but I just never cared for FFVIII that much. Found the main cast more annoying than interesting and Irvine/Ward/Laguna were far better protagonists.

Fujin is mad underrated, though. She's great.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2019, 07:20 PM
To kind of turn this thread into a slightly different direction. If SE was going to do a remake of the game, what would you like to see in it?

Vermachtnis
05-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Drawing would probably be better in real time. You just hold the button and drain them.

maybee
05-12-2019, 03:50 AM
I think I've already said this before ? idk, my memory is poor; but something like the FFXII battle system could work well with a remade FFVIII. Just program somebody to draw all the magic you want, while you gunblade the monster.

Mr Gashtacular
05-15-2019, 04:40 PM
To kind of turn this thread into a slightly different direction. If SE was going to do a remake of the game, what would you like to see in it? I wanna be able to ride Zells T-Board a spin-off game where its Tony Hawk Pro Skater but its T-Board i wanna kickflip off the Garden

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2019, 01:45 AM
To kind of turn this thread into a slightly different direction. If SE was going to do a remake of the game, what would you like to see in it? I wanna be able to ride Zells T-Board a spin-off game where its Tony Hawk Pro Skater but its T-Board i wanna kickflip off the Garden

Just, Zell in general. How come he can punch dolphins at things? All this and more should be answered in the remake. OH what if the dolphins are a GF in Zell's brain?

Vermachtnis
05-17-2019, 06:50 AM

Just, Zell in general. How come he can punch dolphins at things? All this and more should be answered in the remake. OH what if the dolphins are a GF in Zell's brain?

My idiot brain immediate went to Zell's GF being the hotdog girl and was confused.

maybee
05-18-2019, 05:41 AM

Tifa could punch dolphins at things as well....

Wait a moment....

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/7/75/Ff8-zell.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop/width/320/height/320?cb=20100603174414

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/4/42/Cloud_Menu_Young.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop/width/240/height/240?cb=20130202111634

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/0/0a/Tifa_Portrait.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20130203034455

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOOI17IPib54DGkUH4vJj8OS9hWEuWCXNCMoabi0ZwaVvgFF0v

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-18-2019, 04:34 PM

The game over screen would be Garden staff taking your T-Board away because it's not permitted on the school grounds.