PDA

View Full Version : Famitsu's Reader's choice of the Top 20 Games of the Heisei Era.

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Did you know Japan's emperor is going to abdicate the throne at the end of the month and with it ends the Heisei era (1989 - 2019)? Japanese imperial court traditions aside, Famitsu took this opportunity to have readers of all ages vote on the greatest games within the Hesei Era and here's the top 20:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. NieR: Automata
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Okami
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Final Fantasy X
8. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow
9. Dragon Quest V
10. Xenogears
11. Vainglory
12. Suikoden II
13. Mother 2 (Earthbound)
14. Splatoon 2
15. Tactics Ogre
16. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Monster Hunter Freedom Unite)
17. Kingdom Hearts
17. (tie) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
19. Final Fantasy XV
20. Final Fantasy XI
20. (tie) Pokémon Diamond & Pearl

What are your thoughts? Do you think you could tell people your top 20 favorite games released between 1989 to this month?

Thanks to Siliconera (https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/24/here-are-the-top-20-games-of-the-heisei-era-as-voted-by-famitsu-readers/) for the news. Also, can someone please fix the title. ^^;

Fynn
04-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Not really surprised with the list, though this is the first I’ve heard of Vainglory. And Pokémon Diamond and Pearl? Seriously? There’s at least three generations that are way better, and they didn’t even choose the game that fixed that generation’s most glaring issues. Oh, Japan.

Karifean
04-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Not many surprises except for Vainglory as Fynn pointed out, which appears to be a 2014 MOBA that I guess never made it big over here? *shrug* More sad at the omissions but not surprised either.

(It's Heisei era btw)

Fynn
04-24-2019, 10:43 AM
(It's Heisei era btw)

weeb

Psychotic
04-24-2019, 12:24 PM
What was their highest rated western game?

Fynn
04-24-2019, 01:05 PM
I don’t think they listed anything below the top 20. Though I do distinctly remember how Famitsu once held a top 20 or 30 RPGs list once and the only Western game on that was The Witcher 3.

WarZidane
04-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Not surprising apart from a few titles, though I disagree with most of them :p

Vermachtnis
04-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Chrono Trigger being number 1 is no surprise. I am surprised Breath of the Wild is so high though and Splatoon 2. I haven't played Splatoon 2 though, absolutely adored the first game though. And I like all the Final Fantasy representation. And it's been awhile, but Diamond and Pearl? It was my least favorite gen. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G/Freedom Unite didn't have Nibelsnarf so I disagree there.

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2019, 07:00 PM
What was their highest rated western game?

Vainglory actually. It's a MOBA game developed by Super Evil MegaCorp which is comprised of former Blizzard employees based in California.

Fun facts, CT had the highest amount of votes from 30 year olds, Breath of the Wild from 40 year olds, and Neir Automata from teens to 20 year olds.

Lord Golbez
04-24-2019, 07:02 PM
A number of good choices here. Some notable bad ones (Ocarina) and some stuff Indefinitely would have includedthat isn't there. CT would make my top 20 list but this list sort of exemplifies why even though I like CT a lot, I still consider it one of the most overrated games. Not as overrated as Ocarina though, which is actually bad and not simply too high on the list.

maybee
04-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Never heard of Vainglory ?!

edit : Shocked that there's no Mario, he is only big in the west ??

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2019, 09:53 PM
I think Vainglory, FFXV and FFXI were the biggest surprises for me. I also wasn't expecting CT to be number one, totally expected it on the list, but I assumed either Pokemon, Monster Hunter, or Zelda OoT would have been in the top spot.