PDA

View Full Version : The After Years: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Wolf Kanno
05-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Let's lay it all on the table. I know some of have played The After Years, what were your favorite parts, which parts could have been better, and which parts were just unacceptable?

Fynn
05-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Golbez was bae. Mysterious Girl battle music was great. Planet eater take was weird but ok.ack of challenge dungeons in iOS version was terrible because these were actually fun. A bit too many characters, but the added joint techniques are nice. Final dungeon length is absolutely unacceptable though. Also the story copying scenes from the original almost verbatim was a bit much

maybee
05-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Good : learning about Kain's atonement and redemption was cool, and how he helped Cecil's son throughout the game. Also seeing Edward become more badass. Golbez is a hottie.

Bad : Copy and paste dungeons and atmosphere, storyline felt like a copy and paste as well. It's annoying when sequels shout " REMEMBER THIS PART " ??? In your face.

Shiva95
05-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Some of the tales are so great. I particularly enjoy Kain's, Edge's and Rydia's ones. I also like to see Palom and Porom being older and playing more important roles in the game.
I don't like the repetitive dungeons though.

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2019, 06:07 AM
The Good - Moon Phase and Unite attacks were neat ideas that work really well for the gameplay side of things, especially with the ramped difficulty. Many of the new characters are fun. I also enjoyed Kain and Ceodore's relationship and seeing Yang as a father or the twins as teenagers.

The Bad - The whole scenario wallows too much in nostalgia to be interesting.

The Ugly - Some of the dungeons are just not fun or creative enough, which is a shame coming from a sequel to a game that tried to be more novel with their dungeon design. I also kind of dislike the Creator and the story implications he brings to the FFIV mythos.