PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Freya
07-03-2019, 08:30 PM
I just finished Crazy Rich Asians, it was alright. Movie as better.

Anyone read anything interesting lately? Any Recommendations?

Fynn
07-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Nice Big American Baby by Judy Budnitz. It's a short story collection. Wife said it reminded her of my stories, so I gave it a shot. While I can't really see a smilarities, since she's evidently a much better writer, I really enjoyed them. There's some magical realism in there, some cool feminist themes, and quite a lot of tension of all kinds, actually. None of them are straight-up horror, but some of them have left me all :O

Scotty_ffgamer
07-04-2019, 04:41 AM
Reading through A Song of Ice and Fire, and I’m almost done with the second book. I’m enjoying it a good amount.

I was on a Stephen King kick for a little bit. I read Carrie, The Shining, The Stand, It, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Misery, On Writing, Night Shift, and Salem’s Lot. I really enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would despite some issues I had. I was especially surprised by the ones I hadn’t heard of before (The Dead Zone, Firestarter, and The Long Walk).

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2019, 06:21 AM
This might be cheating but Amazing, Fantastic, Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir.

It's a graphic novel about the life of Stan Lee.

I also checked out, but didn't quite finish. William Shakespeare's Get Thee Back to the Future! which is a parody book where someone wrote the entire plot of Back to the Future in Shakespeare's style.

SeasideArms
07-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. It was recommended to me as a Dark Souls-esque story and I felt like it delivered.

There's some magical realism in there, some cool feminist themes, and quite a lot of tension of all kinds, actually.

That reminds me. I still gotta pick up Bret Easton Ellis' White. Great writer.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-05-2019, 02:29 AM
Tearing my way through the Animorphs series. I can't get enough. :grover:

Pretty sure I'm going to fly through my Goodreads goal of 25 books for the year. I'm almost there.

Cell
07-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Uh, recently books that I've read that have been decent have been:

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene
Blood Rose by Nicholas Eames
The Little Drummer Girl by John Le Carre
Crash by JG Ballard

SeasideArms
07-06-2019, 08:03 AM
Crash by JG Ballard

Would you recommend it to somebody who loved the movie?