PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Breath of the Wild

Ayen
07-30-2019, 01:47 AM
Same question as the FFXV thread. What do people think of this game? Is it worth getting a Nintendo Switch for?

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2019, 02:05 AM
I thought it was an incredibly relaxing game for the most part, and I really enjoyed exploring the open world. I don’t know if any one game is ever worth a system, but it definitely helped me think the Switch was worth it.

Fynn
07-30-2019, 05:23 AM
I mean, it’s only the best, most profound Zelda experience I’ve ever had :monster:

WarZidane
07-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Pretty good game, not what I want from Zelda, sad it's going to have a massive influence on the franchise in the foreseeable future.

Only you can decide if it's worth getting a Switch for. Some people would say one game isn't worth getting a console for, but I got my Switch just for Xenoblade 2 and didn't regret the purchase. :p

Ayen
07-30-2019, 12:04 PM
My cousin said the experience reminded him of the original Zelda with how open it was. Sounds like he was spot on. Do you ever get the green tunic in the game?

Fynn
07-30-2019, 12:13 PM
If you clear all the basic 108 shrines, yes. It’s actually the version from A Link to the Past.

Fox
07-30-2019, 09:11 PM
I have a similar opinion on Breath of the Wild as I do for FFXV, in the sense that it's absolutely not the direction I wanted the series and if this is a sign of things to come, I'm concerned.

Having said that Breath of the Wild is at least well designed for what it is. If you really want to experience a bland, repetitive open world where the early game is needlessly frustrating thanks to low weapon durability, low stats, weather which makes you freeze or fall off rocks you are trying to climb, and a general lack of structure or narrative purpose outside of collecting the same dull resource from dozens of visually identical mini-dungeons, this is the one to get.

Fynn
07-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Don’t listen to Fox. The core idea you need to get into your head quickly is that you just don’t get attached to weapons - you adapt to the situation and just use whatever you have at hand. Go as blind as you can, try to survive, and you’ll do good.

Plus later you’ll get the Master Sword. It doesn’t break, though it does have to recharge after a while. Still, at least you always have that to fall back on later on.

Fox
07-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it makes finding good weapons in dungeons SUPER rewarding because they break after 10 hits. It's the best.

Ayen
07-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Hell, I once went into battle with a broken sword in Dark Souls. I don't fear the broken weapons man.

Fynn
07-30-2019, 09:32 PM
See? Ayen isn’t deathly afraid of a little inconvenience and silent protagonists

Fox
07-30-2019, 09:43 PM
See? Ayen isn’t deathly afraid of a little inconvenience and silent protagonists

Hey, I think it's great that you can have lower standards for your games, you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Ayen
07-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Hey, I think it's great that you can have lower standards for your games, you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Fox, you're one word away from being a biased conservative news branch on TV.

Fynn
07-30-2019, 09:48 PM
That’s nothing. You should come to Discord.

Fox
07-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Hell, I once went into battle with a broken sword in Dark Souls. I don't fear the broken weapons man.

Btw weapons in Zelda a) break much faster than in Dark Souls and b) cannot be repaired like they can in Dark Souls.

If that sounds like a great time to you, I am 99% sure you'll be in the "i love this game" camp.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-31-2019, 12:20 AM
I feel like the further you go in the game, the weapon durability becomes less of a problem. It was pretty quick before it stopped being a problem to me.

I thought it was a very pretty game, and it was relaxing. I enjoyed cooking even, which I didn’t think I would. That being said, I don’t want this to be the direction all future Zelda games to be in. I like the more narrative driven versions and the more old school top down versions of Zelda too.

WarZidane
08-01-2019, 10:35 PM
The thing about the durability system is that it adds nothing of value to the game. I had no actual trouble with it because I quickly realized there's no incentive to fighting anything out in the world, so I just ignored every enemy because why break your weapon on some trash enemy that drops a wooden club and gives you nothing else?

It just turns into you hoarding weapons until you actually *have* to fight something, at which point you break 3 weapons and move on, back to hoarding. It's not interesting and actually takes away from some of the fun because you just run straight from point A to point B without any combat in the overworld.

Lord Golbez
08-02-2019, 05:13 PM
I agree. The durability system adds nothing desirable, but weapons are plentiful enough that it doesn't take away much either.

Fynn
08-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Idk, I felt the fact that the game forced you to work around combat more often than not was actually pretty brilliant but what the hell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as I’m concerned, the combat is the least interesting part of this game anyway.

Slothy
08-02-2019, 06:26 PM
I only played a bit of breath of the wild but I agree the combat is the least interesting part of the game. I don't think it had to be though and I don't think it was particularly good that it is so weak given how many monsters are filling the world.

Lord Golbez
08-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Idk, I felt the fact that the game forced you to work around combat more often than not was actually pretty brilliant but what the hell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as I’m concerned, the combat is the least interesting part of this game anyway.

I don't feel like the game actually did force you to avoid combat that much, because it was generally easy to sock some more important weapons away and just use the ones you pick up along the way. It's not like it's a stealth game, except that one part, which was annoying.

I do agree that combat is one of the least interesting aspects of the game though.

Fynn
08-02-2019, 07:24 PM
I meant in the sense that Wooz mentioned - you are pretty much expected to avoid a lot of the battles, unless you get all the Korok poops and beef your inventory up. And that's perfectly find - I've completely neglected that sidequest and had a super small inventory and exploring the world involved a lot of resource management and picking your battles, and that was honestly one of the most refreshing experiences I've had