PDA

View Full Version : If you could time travel...

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2019, 05:04 PM
...but you can only go either to the past or the future and still make it safely back to your time frame, which direction would you go?

Slothy
09-21-2019, 05:54 PM
I want to go to space more than I want to live on earth so clearly I only have one option.

Fynn
09-21-2019, 06:38 PM
No. Because I don't wanna catch whatever bug we're no longer immune to or one that doesn't exist yet

Slothy
09-21-2019, 06:46 PM
I'm assuming that nothing related to the time travel itself would kill us clearly. Or at the very least that disease is no longer a problem and they can cure anything when I get there.

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2019, 07:19 PM
I like to believe that problems are like a Mad Libs page. They never actually go away, the details simply change.

Lord Golbez
09-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Past. The future could be an unmitigated disaster. The past isn't all rosy either, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect. I suppose the mystery of the future holds some appeal but not enough to risk traveling to an unlivable hellscape. Heck, I'd rather avoid traveling to the future even at my current pace. :p

WarZidane
09-22-2019, 02:30 AM
Definitely the future. If it's great, then..well, great! If it's not, the post said we can make it back safely so I'd do just that. :p

Bubba
09-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Definitely the past.

I'd go back a couple of thousand years, claim I am a god and start my own religion. I would then travel back to today and confirm my second coming and no-one will believe me.

Freya
09-25-2019, 01:15 AM
Future.

I am a woman, they would murder me a lot in the past merely for wearing pants.

ham
09-25-2019, 08:53 AM
I would go to the future to see how far we have come if at all.

I really enjoyed a Futurama episode about them barrelling into the future until it went full circle.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Past, easily, and meet Amelia Airheart.

krissy
08-05-2020, 02:01 AM
i would time travel to the point where the bots aren't so obvious

Bubba
08-05-2020, 11:33 AM
i would time travel to the point where the bots aren't so obvious

Wolf Kanno confirmed as a bot.

krissy
08-05-2020, 03:44 PM
i really wouldn't look this silly if the MODERATION and ADMINISTRATION team here weren't doing such a THOROUGH JOB

Psychotic
08-05-2020, 04:57 PM
yeah thanks moderation team you're all doing a great job at banning bots

just as good of a job as they're doing with making me feel valued and important and pretty

(I'm on a 38 ban streak going back to July 1st)

krissy
08-05-2020, 05:03 PM
psychotic more like pretty-hot-ic rigteh

Shauna
08-07-2020, 07:56 PM
yeah thanks moderation team you're all doing a great job at banning bots

just as good of a job as they're doing with making me feel valued and important and pretty

(I'm on a 38 ban streak going back to July 1st)

you're welcome buddy i work hard for my title

Raistlin
08-11-2020, 02:50 AM
psychotic more like pretty-hot-ic rigteh

Can someone give me staff powers again so I can ban krissy for this

Iceglow
08-11-2020, 06:49 AM
It depends, are we discussing Time Travel in the sense that we cannot change anything because it is our past and we know what happens, or can we step on a butterfly in the past and the next thing is Germany wins WW2, Abolition never took place and the present is a fucking mess?

Because if it can't be changed then you'd want to go to the future even though going back in time to observe events would be "fun" it would not provide you any immediate advantages. As if you went to the future you could simply look up what companies and stocks to invest in and because it is "written" on return to the present (which btw is also guaranteed safely because you stipulate you return home safely in the question) you would have already invested in these stocks in the future since it could not be changed which means you can massively profit from it. Cue becoming very rich. Anyone who says money can't buy happiness clearly has not been truly poor. It may not buy the happiness of love and affection, but it is more comfortable to be lonely in a mansion than lonely in a rented single room in a flat.

If it can be changed then you have a difficult choice because the direction of travel can have interesting and amazing results on the present. Also going forwards would no longer guarantee you would be successful as your mere presence in the future could change the outcomes of the stock market etc that said going backwards could be just as disastrous though, admittedly you could go back and have some real fun doing shit that you always wanted to do - like Killing Hitler, or kicking the shit out of the kids who bullied you in school, or steering events to lead past you to the missed opportunities you had. Some of these options would undoubtedly improve your current day situation and by going back to the past you can always attempt to undo some of the bad effects.

Iceglow
08-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Did I win the site poll with that answer or what? No one has anything more to add?

Rocket Edge
08-26-2020, 12:11 AM
As awesome as going to the past would be to witness a Spinosaurus leering at me, I'd have to say the future. Maybe we somehow survive nuclear annihilation, pandemics, and armageddon, and evolve to fly in millions of years. Also, interstellar travel.

Christmas
04-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Past. There are just too many regrets and mistakes I wanna fix. But then again, there is a high chance I will make new ones but this is a risk I am willing to take. :bigsmile:

Vincent, Thunder God
02-21-2023, 04:50 PM
Did I win the site poll with that answer or what? No one has anything more to add?

What if both Hitler and JFK had been saved? THAT would have led to disaster!

Discuss!

Quindiana Jones
02-29-2024, 02:38 AM
Holy shit, when did VTG get banned lol