PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on Final Fantasy 2020 Census Results

Wolf Kanno
03-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Time to get this show started.

We'll start off with the least interesting questions, and I'll update this thread periodically throughout the day.

We had about 14 entries in total, which considering the state of the forum, is not a bad turn out in my opinion. The majority of the people who answered the survey were in their 30s.

In terms of First Final Fantasy:

Third place (tie with 2 votes)
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII

Second Place (3 votes)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

First Place (5 votes)
Final Fantasy VII

Last "New" Final Fantasy Game

Third Place (tie with 1 vote)
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy Dissidia NT

Second Place (tie with 2 votes)
Final fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Final Fantasy XIII-2

First Place (7 Votes)
Final Fantasy XV

Are you excited for the Remake?
Yes: 9 votes
No: 3 votes
???: 2 Votes

Fynn
03-19-2020, 09:12 PM
You're kidding me. Two more people started with Mystic Quest?!

Karifean
03-19-2020, 09:23 PM
Tfw I have no idea where my vote on "last 'new' final fantasy" was counted >.< whoops

Wolf Kanno
03-19-2020, 09:37 PM
There was way more overlap than you would think. ;)

WarZidane
03-19-2020, 09:41 PM

Indeed, I too started with Mystic Quest. Technically not that surprising really since it was the first FF game to reach Europe :p

Slothy
03-20-2020, 12:40 AM

Yup. I did do that LP thread years back too. Twas fun.

Lord Golbez
03-20-2020, 03:05 AM
I wasn't reading carefully and thought for a bit that Mystic Quest got the second place vote for favorite FF. I was about to have a conniption.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2020, 03:42 AM
Now to continue.

Do you have Hope for FFXVI?

Yes: 9 votes
No: 4 votes
???: 2 votes

Apparently SE can breathe a little easier cause as jaded as this forum can be, a lot people still have a lot of faith the next installment is going to be super special awesome.

Most Difficult Final Fantasy
Honestly, these were all good choices in my opinion.

Third Place with 1 Vote
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XI

Second Place with 2 votes
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy Tactics*

First Place with 3 Votes
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV

*Pre-T.G. Cid for one person

Easiest Final Fantasy

None of the entries that made it on this list really surprised me.

Third Place with 1 vote
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics*

Second Place with 2 Votes
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XV

First Place with 3 Votes
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII

*Post T.G. Cid for the same person from above.

Which FF should get a remake next?

This question got some interesting answers and while I was fairly pleased which entry won since it was my own choice, some of the other answers were intriguing none the less.

Third place with One Vote:

Final Fantasy VIII

The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII (like all of it)

The Final Fantasy VII Remake

Second Place with Two Votes:

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Tactics

First place with Eight Votes:

AiCM6CnnqcA

Final Fantasy VI

Okay, next post will be a little more substantial and I'm tackling the big four.

WarZidane
03-20-2020, 06:57 PM
Well, at least one other person voted for an FF9 remake :p

It's actually not something I'd have voted before, instead I'd have been like "It's great enough as it is, just leave it be, remake an entry I like less instead", but after seeing how FF7 remake turned out (well, partially), seeing a 9 remake with the same immense effort would be amazing. It'll never happen, of course.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Well, at least one other person voted for an FF9 remake :p

It's actually not something I'd have voted before, instead I'd have been like "It's great enough as it is, just leave it be, remake an entry I like less instead", but after seeing how FF7 remake turned out (well, partially), seeing a 9 remake with the same immense effort would be amazing. It'll never happen, of course.

Honestly, if the VII R does well enough for SE. I can see them doing a remake series for some of the more popular entries.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2020, 08:16 PM
Now onto the next entry.

Favorite Minigames

Runner Ups (1 Vote)
Sphere Break
Fishing (FFXV)
Chocobo Breeding (VII)
Frog Catching
Butterfly Catching

Fourth Place (2 Votes)
Chocobo Racing (VII)

Third Place (3 Votes)
Blitzball

Second Place (6 Votes)
Chocobo Hot n' Cold

First Place (7 Votes)
Triple Triad

Favorite Locations In Final Fantasy

The fact I got such a wide range of places just goes to show how good Final Fantasy is with making locations. Even though the following are the runner ups, many of them are pretty fantastic places in their own right.

The Runner Ups (1 Vote)

IV
Tower of Babel
Mysidia (IV)

VI
Zozo
Floating Continent

VII
Gold Saucer
Icicle Inn

VIII
Winhill
Esthar City
Ultimecia's Castle

IX
Burmecia
Treno
Cleyra
Memoria
Lindblum
Chocobo Forest

X
Mi'hen Highroad
Besaid

XI
Windhurst

XII
Henne Mines
Rabanastre
The Pharos
Bhujerba

XIII
Gapra Whitewoods

XIV
Kugane

X-2
Via Infinito

Third Place (2 Votes)

Altissia, The City on the Water (Final Fantasy XV)

Or as I like to call it, Fantasy Venice. I'm not surprised this location made it here as it got the most PR all the way back when this game was still called Versus XIII, and unlike Insomnia, you actually get to really explore this location. With its gorgeous vistas, plenty of fishing, and the biggest story moments, Altissia is a really memorable locations. Especially for players who got their first taste of Jedi Yoda Tonberries or VI fans losing their trout at the Chadarnook Quest. It also has a pretty unique theme too:
sjEtVkhF39U

Balamb Garden (Final Fantasy VIII)

It's interesting how Square placed a lot of emphasis on the starting locations in the PS1 era. While Alexandria in IX never reached the same heights as Midgar, Balamb Garden is one of the most iconic locations in FFVIII. Helped by the fact its one of your first vehicles. Balamb Garden is a place most VIII fans will spend most of their time in, especially if they go after sidequests like the CC Card Club or explore Zell's relationship with the girl at the Library. The theme song is very peaceful and actually uses musical stylings reminiscent of Japanese school bells.
1eU0tRBHnE0

Vector (Final Fantasy VI)

I'm actually surprised this made it this far. I didn't imagine anyone else would vote for it besides me. Vector to me is an interesting contrast from all the previous locations in VI, taking the steampunk aesthetics of Figaro Castle and Narshe and pushing it into dystopian extremes. This is also the moment the gloves come off in the game proper as we learn the truth about Magitek Research, can get some insight into Kefka's origins, fight some insane enemies that are going to punish you if you haven't been properly learning magic, and we finally get to see the face of the enemy we had only heard about for so long. The main theme of the place is also great and imposing.
WPEWTSJqUmI

Second Place (3 Votes)

Cosmo Canyon (Final Fantasy VII)

This one caught me a little by surprise. I figured someone would vote for it, but I didn't imagine it would get as far as it did. Personal feelings aside, it makes sense Cosmo Canyon would make it on this list as there are few locations within FF itself that are similar, and it works as a stark contrast to Midgar. Helped by the fact it has some great music attached to it and is the hometown of everyones fan favorite dog boy Nanaki. Personally, I love finally getting to hear Lifestream and The Great Warrior when I come here.

1T3srk8Dkuo

Macalania Woods (Final Fantasy X)

Okay, of all the entries, this one surprised me the most. I could see Cosmo Canyon cause it has great music and a lot of people have a soft spot for Red XIII, but I wasn't expecting this place to rank as high as it did. In terms of atmosphere, it is a very distinct place, so I'll give it that with the great use of blues and pyreflies. Its home to the Butterfly Catching sidequest if that's your thing, and this is also the lcoation to get the Celestial Mirror for Ultimate Weapons. Course I imagien this place stays in most people's minds for the iconic "love scene" between Tidus and Yuna. It's theme song is both calming and haunting at the same time.

y9E8IIBAd_U

First Place (5 Votes)

Midgar (Final Fantasy VII)

To no ones surprise, Midgar easily cinched this category and who can blame anyone? Its the most iconic location in the series at this point. Based off of the original plans for Disney's Epcot Center, Midgar is a dystopian corporate city with a not so subtle social commentary in its design. You spend roughly the first ten hours of the game exploring this collassal city, and the Remake is going to ectend that into the 30+ range. Its not a surprise that so many of VII's most monumental moments are all here in this place. While the city has several themes, I feel the theme that introduced everyone in 1997 to this city is the most iconic as it displays the cities grandeur.

S8NGDsnv34M

WarZidane
03-20-2020, 09:08 PM
I figured Triple Triad would win minigames, but I didn't think it'd be that close. Nice to see all that appreciation for Chocobo Hot 'n Cold.

Wolf Kanno
03-20-2020, 09:51 PM
I figured Triple Triad would win minigames, but I didn't think it'd be that close. Nice to see all that appreciation for Chocobo Hot 'n Cold.

If the minigame contest I ran last year taught me anything, its that TT and CHaC are the two most overwhelmingly popular minigames among the forum. I am not going to argue because even though I voted for TT, CHaC is my next favorite.

Karifean
03-20-2020, 11:25 PM
We did have our own Triple Triad function inside these very forums >.<

Lord Golbez
03-21-2020, 12:18 AM
I'm glad that some I considered, but ultimately didn't choose, like Esthar and Icicle Inn, got into the runner ups. Zozo shocked me as I seriously would have considered putting it on a least favorite locations vote.

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2020, 12:35 AM
Even though I didn't vote for it, Zozo is actually one of my fave locations in VI. Maybe next Census I'll do least favorite and see.

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2020, 05:54 AM
Next round, and its a musical number!

Favorite Final Fantasy Composition.

I totally should have limited this down to three entries. We had 51 distinct tracks, but thankfully some clear winners emerged from this crowded field.

Runner Ups (1 Vote)

Final Fantasy IV
Prologue/ The Main Theme of Final Fantasy
Welcome to our Town!
Prelude

I was a little disappointed that IV didn't get as much love. :onnanoko:

Final Fantasy V
Dear Friends

I'm even more disappointed with V's showing. :(

Final Fantasy VI
Celes Theme
Decisive Battle
Grand Finale
Forever Rachael
Locke's Theme
Cyan's Theme

To no one's surprise, VI had the most tracks nominated overall. Hint hint... :shifty: I'm sure a few people are rolling their eyes now, BoB and Karifean... :colbert:

Final Fantasy VII
The Great Warrior
One Winged Angel (AC Version)
Those Chosen by the Planet
On Our Way
J-E-N-O-V-A
Those Who Fight On!

I was mainly surprised that some of these tracks didn't get more noms. I really thought most of the battle themes would get a second vote, and considering how well Cosmo Canyon did for locations, I was expecting The Great Warrior to do better. Of anything, with the VII hype going on, I was expecting this game to get more love. It ranked third overall.

Final Fantasy VIII
Roses and Wine
Compression of Time
Breezy
Balamb Garden
The Promise
The Stage is Set
The Extreme
The Castle

If I was Vivi22 and doing these announcements, I'd probably make a snappy comment about how a lot of you have terrible taste in music as VIII had the second highest amounts of noms overall. Granted, a good chunk of these noms came from like three people. I actually like a lot of these tracks, though I was really surprised that an obvious fan favorite (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd9krEsr-k) didn't even rank. Looks like the VIII fans are becoming hipsters.

Final Fantasy IX
Melodies of Life
Freya's Theme
Over the Hills
Rose of May
Ukulele de Chocobo

This was another one that surprised me. Considering how much love this game gets in this forum, I was expecting a few more tracks from this.

Final Fantasy X
To Zanarkand
Via Purifico

Not my favorite score, but some solid choices none the less. I'm just grateful Thousand Words didn't make it here.

Final Fantasy XI
Ronfaure
Selbina

I honestly wasn't expecting something from XI, but I'm always happy to see some of the lesser loved entries get some love.

Final Fantasy XII
The Beginning of the End

XII has an underappreciated score, so happy to see it got at least one nom.

Final Fantasy XIII
Blinded by Light

Despite my animosity for this game, if there was a track to single out, this would be it. Surprised more by who voted for it honestly.

Final Fantasy XIV
Prelude ~ Discoveries (XIV)
Shadowbringers
Answers
Dragonsong

Wasn't surprised by XIV getting love since I knew a lot of the active forum plays it.

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Crazy Chocobo

I would be surprised if I didn't know who voted for it.

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning's Return
Meeting You

Was a little more surprised to see this one actually.

Fourth Place (2 Votes)

3jho-peCAKs

Man with the Machine Gun

The theme song for everyone's favorite doofus journalist. Most people would agree that the highlight of the Laguna sequences is getting to hear this awesome battle theme. I personally love it more than Don't be Afraid. This was the highest ranking FFVIII Track.

ltoc0XD5waI
Aria di Mezzo Carattere

One of the most iconic tracks from Final Fantasy VI. How many of us were caught flat footed when the lyric option appeared on screen? Glad to see the song rose above the riff raff, but a little disappointed it didn't get any higher than fourth place.

dghlAQDQneU

Battle on the Big Bridge

At least you people didn't completely disappoint me on the FFV front by neglecting this awesome track. Associated now with the most spectacular joke villains in the series. It has the distinction of being one of the most well beloved battle themes that isn't a final boss theme.

6UARM4q7hHU

Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII

I'm happy this track made it at least this far. This is probably my second favorite map theme in the series and it really embodies the feel of the game if you ask me. I still get chills leaving Midgar and hearing this theme start to play as you enter the world map for the first time. Sad it couldn't get any higher though...

NnvZ6Dqv7Ws
Searching for Friends

What may come as a shock for some is that I'm indifferent to this track despite being attached to my fave entry in the series. It's a good track, don't get me wrong, but I actually liked Dark World better. I do appreciate its uplifting change to the World of Ruined though.

JbXVNKtmWnc

Dancing Mad

I'd be shocked that this wasn't higher on the list if it wasn't for the fact that final boss themes just didn't do well overall in this census. A real shame too since this track really does showcase Uematsu's skills. So much so that he was actually sweating bullets when it came to composing One Winged Angel cause he really wasn't sure he could top this track.

Third Place (3 Votes)

miuNmfcBfu8
A Fleeting Dream

This is that moment where my dissenting opinion about this entry has me scratching my head, but hey some people love this track enough so that it got to have its very own tier. I do like the uplifting rise in the track though.

Second Place (4 Votes)

KKAoSY5bhSw

You're Not Alone

There's the IX love I was talking about. In the early tallies this was neck and neck with the top tier but just lost out at the very end. Easily one of the coolest tracks during an iconic moment in IX. While IX didn't get that many noms, at least it had one with a strong finish.

EoFF's Favorite Tracks (5 Votes)

fIqKWLkm2-g

Aerith's Theme

Easily one of the most iconic character themes from VII and the one associated with the biggest moment in the game. This is a gorgeous piece and no surprise for me that it reached number one. Everyone knows their going to ball their eyes out when the remake gets to this moment.

a6t_uyg_pF8

Terra's Theme

The actual most iconic theme from VI and the most beloved character theme from the game. I remember someone mentioning how this track was OCRemix's VGM equivalent to Freebird. Seriosuly, there are like a bajillion remixes of this song. Funny enough, I consider Awakenign to really be Terra's theme.

Fynn
03-21-2020, 07:16 AM
I’ve expressed my love for Blinded by Light numerous times, though!

Karifean
03-21-2020, 07:22 AM
Well Terra is relatively high up for me, just not high enough to make it into my absolute top list. It's not about just being good but being better than the competition in the end, which is a pretty darn powerful one. Seriously, FF VIII's score is totally deserving of the love it gets.

Besides that, glad to see A Fleeting Dream edging out a couple more votes. You're Not Alone is less surprising but hey, not gonna complain.

Fynn
03-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Seriously, FF VIII's score is totally deserving of the love it gets.

No :stare:

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2020, 10:03 AM
I’ve expressed my love for Blinded by Light numerous times, though!

Yes, but I didn't think you thought of it as "Top Five" material. In fact, for someone who argues with with me about the greatness of IX's score, I'm surprised I nominated more tracks from it than you did. :p

As for VIII's score, I think the only other thing that surprised me besides the absence of some of its more popular tracks, was the fact Roses and Wine was nominated, cause I honestly feel its one of the most underrated tracks from the game. With that said, I'm still in agreement with Fynn that its not Uematu's best work with the series. I really can't understand the appeal of Balamb Garden's theme for instance. It's clever that Nobuo is using a similar tone for a Japanese High School bell, but the track is so elevator music overall. The kind of track begging to be zoned out.

Fynn
03-21-2020, 11:09 AM
As I’ve said on multiple occasions, I hate making top music lists because it constantly fluctuates and greatly depends on my mood. Despite the fact that FF music has always meant a lot to me, I’ve never sat down to come up with a list because it’d be obsolete the next day, if not earlier. The five I gave you are the five I came up with then, which I cant even remember without checking my Mognet. Chances are today you’d get a completely different list, likely one with something from IX in it ;)

Scotty_ffgamer
03-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Balamb Garden’s theme honestly is just a nostalgic destresser for me. I can recognize it isn’t that special of a piece, but it does tend to make me feel at ease because it’s such a familiar tune for a game that has a lot of memories behind it for me.

Honestly, this was the hardest question for me. I couldn’t even tell you for sure which ones I for sure voted for (though I did vote Roses and Wine!) the problem is that i wasn’t in a place where I could look up songs when I was doing the list; so, some songs that I could hear in my head that I really liked weren’t nominated simply because I couldn’t think of the name. There are also just too many tracks from too many games that no matter what I put, I felt bad for not including stuff from other games. They basically all have standout tracks to me that feel deserving of this list. Also, doing this list has just made me really want to play some Theatrhythm: Curtain Call.

Fynn
03-21-2020, 04:17 PM
Well then, let’s have a duel! I can fire up my copy any time ;) Did we ever exchange friend codes?

Slothy
03-21-2020, 07:38 PM
If I was Vivi22 and doing these announcements

Vivi22 is dead.

Long live the Sloth!

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2020, 08:08 PM
Let's move onto characters.

Runner Ups (I vote)

Final Fantasy II
Minwu
I'm happy that at least one NES era FF got some love for this contest, and Minwu does deserve it.

Final Fantasy IV
Cid
Kain
I was a disappointed by IV's showing in this census, a little surprised too that fan favorites like Rydia and Cecil didn't even place.

Final Fantasy V
Galuf
Gilgamesh
Not surprised FFV had a weak showing since its always had a stigma against it for its plot and cast. Still, these were some great choices.

Final Fantasy VI
Edgar
I think the bigger surprise for me was VI's weak showing. It only had the second highest amount of noms from its entry.

Final Fantasy VII
Sephiroth
Tifa
I was also surprised VII didn't do better considering the current hype train for it. I figured the recent demo would have had people voting this entry up. It had the third highest amount of noms.

Final Fantasy IX
Zidane
Garnet
Kuja
Steiner
Freya
The IX love continues to be very strong on this forum. No complaints from me.

Final Fantasy X
Seymour
Rikku
Tidus
X had a better showing than I first thought it would. I think the lack of Yuna was the only thing that really surprised me.

Final Fantasy XI
Shantatto
Happy to see XI got some love, and hey, its a character I even know.

Final Fantasy XIV
Zenos
For an MMO, XIV did better than I expected overall for this competition. Again, not surprised considering how many active members play it but still happy to see it get love.

Final Fantasy XV
Ignis
Noctis
Prompto
You know, considering the kickback this game got from the forum, I'm surprised this game got some noms. While no one made it pass the first round, at least most of the boy band has fans on this forum.

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Caius
Only two non-mainline entries made it on this list, and this is the first one. I can't really say much about Caius since I never played XIII-2, but most people say he's the best part of it.

Fifth Place (2 Votes)

Final Fantasy VI
Kefka
Locke
Celes
Most of these choices don't surprise me, though special note goes to Kefka for being one of two of the highest voted villain of this census.

Final Fantasy IX
Quina
Quina has always had a place on this forum despite the fact they are such a divisive character for many. I'm glad my Blue Mage eating machine made it far.

Final Fantasy XII
Lady Ashe
I feel the most surprising thing about XII's performance is that while it didn't get as many character noms, they did get a lot of votes to rise in the ranks. Ashe is probably my favorite leading female character in the series so seeing her here makes me happy.

Final Fantasy XIII
Lightning
I will never understand the love this character gets. Perhaps because I dipped out of the XIII trilogy and lost a lot of her characterization, but at least its nice to see her and Ashe helping break stereotypes within the franchise.

Final Fantasy XIV
Emet-Selch
I have not played XIV so I don't really have much to say here except that this guy is the other high ranking villain on this Census. Go play Shadowbringers people.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Ramza
The highest ranking non-mainline character on this list. Ramza has the distinction of being my favorite main character in the franchise. Glad to see him get love.

Fourth Place (3 Votes)

Final Fantasy VII
Aerith
Cloud
Not surprised these two made it so far, I almost feel like they got the same amount of votes because most of the people on this forum support the CloudxAerith paring so here they are alone together in this category. :love:

Final Fantasy VIII
Laguna
Ah yeah, my favorite underdog from VIII. I always feel a bit bad for Laguna and his friends cause they always seem to get downplayed or forgotten in story discussions of the game. Laguna added a lot of levity to VIII and I appreciate that.

Final Fantasy X
Auron
If there was to be a high voted character from FFX for me, Auron is a good choice. He had a good backstory and he's a snazzy dresser. Someday I wish SE would give up on making FFX sequels and instead just give us our damn prequel starring Auron and Jecht.

Third Place (4 Votes)

Final Fantasy VI
Terra
Terra has had a real surge in popularity in the last decade or so. I'm guessing its because of Dissidia, but I am not complaining that she's the highest ranked character from VI. Great theme and a powerful story arc.

Final Fantasy XII
Balthier
I find it amusing that for a game that gets a lot of flak for its characters, Balthier ranked in third place. As I said, XII didn't get many noms for characters but the ones who did got a lot of love. Who can blame them for not loving this leading man?

Second Place (5 Votes)

Final Fantasy VIII
Squall
While VIII also gets a lot of flak for its cast of characters, like XII, the ones who did got a lot of love and I can't blame them for Squall. He's honestly one of the best written characters within the mainline series. So I'm happy he ranked second overall.

First Place (8 Votes)

Final Fantasy IX
Vivi
No surprise here. Most of the forum has a soft spot for IX and Vivi is unequivocally the most beloved character from this game. Who can blame us, he out woobied Terra of all people. I appreciate the fact that in a series filled with summoners and super soldiers, it's the iconic Black Mage that people still gravitate to.

Karifean
03-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Few surprises on this one I suppose, though I did expect FFVI and the main four of VII to score better.

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Yeah IX got the most character noms overall, though it was interesting that only one of them made it past the runner up phase. VI had fewer than I thought it would, as I figured it would have been the entry that had the most noms due to the large cast. Suprised Sabin and Shadow didn't get noms. VII was also a surprise for me as I really expected more of the cast to show up. Specifically Yuffie, Vincent, Red XIII, and some of the Turks. I was more surprised by Sephy and Tifa's weak performance.

The character poll was really more about underdog entries like VIII and XII who had one or two really strong characters get high ranks. This is all especially interesting when we get to the final question which I'll post later today.

Bubba
03-21-2020, 11:22 PM
Selbina from FFXI is an absolute banger. Everyone give your ears some love and stick it on.

Galuf
03-22-2020, 12:22 AM
Surprised only 1 FFV track in this, it has the best OST! But you all made it up by voting Galuf in the list :p I'd have voted if i was around to know aboot it :lol:

The best song from XIV is actually Moebius(Orchestral Version) Unfortunately it only plays at the very end of Alexander Ultimate so many may not have heard it so here you GO! JeKbCcq9gT8
All the songs in that fight are great really but that one is the best!

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2020, 12:52 AM
Surprised only 1 FFV track in this, it has the best OST! But you all made it up by voting Galuf in the list :p I'd have voted if i was around to know aboot it :lol:

Hey there were two tracks from FFV on this list. I nominated Dear Friends :kaocheer:

pDRjToh5eoo

Galuf
03-22-2020, 12:54 AM

Hey there were two tracks from FFV on this list. I nominated Dear Friends :kaocheer:

pDRjToh5eoo

Oh yeah Clash was there too. I'd have voted the 3rd world theme Decisive battle and Neo exdeath i love those lol! Also
Dear friends is good too. Snes had awesome ending themes for all 3 games.

Freya
03-22-2020, 01:31 AM
THIS IS A TRAVESTY.

CRAZY CHOCOBO DESERVED BETTER :mad2:

Lord Golbez
03-22-2020, 03:39 AM
The rankings are pretty good for the most part, but I'm a bit disappointed with Laguna's performance, because he"s my all time favorite FF character.

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2020, 05:12 AM
Finally, let's get the big one out of the way. Last question:

EoFF's Favorite Final Fantasy game

Honorable mentions:

Neither Final Fantasy II or III got a nom sadly, but that doesn't mean we can't give the only two numbered entries not to make this list some love.I guess there are all the other spin-offs and sequels, but smurf them.

Runner Ups (1 Vote)
Final Fantasy
I'm really happy that at least the original got some love. The first game that started it all may have a few wrinkles by this time, but its still fairly solid over 30 years later.

Final Fantasy XIII
I'm only half surprised this got a nom. Not my favorite, but I'll chock this up to Motomu Toriyama being a secret member of our forum.

Final Fantasy XV
Another one I'm sure some of you are surprised got a nom, but I personally feel like XV is going to be one of those entries that people are going to come around to eventually.

Final Fantasy X-2
Whoops, almost forgot this one. It may be a game I can't play without wincing, but for some people this game is the pinnacle of gameplay within the series and was awesome for its girl power themes and for being genuinely fun.

Tactics Advance
I'm really happy to see this game give a nom. A very underrated entry within the franchise. I wish SE would pay a bit more attention to the Ivalice titles again.

Eighth Place (2 Votes)

Final Fantasy XI
While my own history with XI was short lived, I'm happy this game gave so many people joy in their lives and likely helped them find our forum. Still bummed I never unlocked the BLU class.

Final Fantasy Tactics
The most well loved spin-off from Final Fantasy. Though I wish it had done better, I'm happy it at least made it to the event. One of the better written Final Fantasy titles if you ask me.

Seventh Place (3 Votes)
Final Fantasy XIV

The only numbered entry I've never played. I feel this entry has been doing a lot to generate goodwill between SE and FF Fans. Now if I could just get my one FF friend to shut up about Shaodwbringers for five minutes...

Sixth Place (4 Votes)

Final Fantasy V
The underdog of the 16 bit main entries. I am happy to see this game got some love this competition. Maybe if we're all lucky, Kitase may get his wish and see this game get a remake next. Reminds me that I should get back to that Let's Play...

Final Fantasy VIII

One of the black sheeps of the franchise, I was really impressed with how it did overall in this census. Glad to see it finally get a bit more love. Fun fact, this is the entry I'm actually the most excited to get to in my retrospective series. Uncovered a bunch of info about this game I hope to share in the future.

Fifth Place (6 Votes)

Final Fantasy IV
Most people on this forum know I love Final Fantasy IV, so I was really happy to see it get this far. I always feel like IV is one of those entries fans like, but not necessarily love. So getting as many votes as it did make me happy. While IV didn't do as well as I had hoped for the census, I'm still glad it gets love.

Final Fantasy XII
Well this is a serious turnaround. Ten years ago, I don't think this game would have ranked as high on this forum. So I'm happy to see its starting to see some vindication. I personally consider the last truly great Final Fantasy game, and maybe the love its getting in this census will inspire some people to check out the Zodiac Ages. No? Well it was worth a shot.

Fourth Place (7 Votes)
Final Fantasy VII
I feel this was the biggest upset of the census. I really was expecting VII to sweep most categories in one way or another. Still, it did an admirable job, and I'm sure if I do this again next year after the Remake comes out, perhaps VII will dominate like I imagined. Here's hoping the Remake may send some poor lost souls to the forums to tell us again why this is considered to be the best entry in the franchise.

Third Place (9 Votes)
Final Fantasy X
Though hardly my favorite, it was treat to see this entry climb back up again. X]s popularity on this forum always seems to ebb and flow like the sea within the game. So its always interesting to see if someone is going to come into a thread singing its praises or if its just me and Fynn badmouthing it.

Second Place (10 Votes)
Final Fantasy IX
This was the other major upset in this census. I was sure IX was going to win this, and for a while there it was neck and neck with number one and FFX. IX is one of those entries I scold myself about cause I really should play it more often. Since I'll have more free time after this post, maybe I should start a new playthrough...

First Place (13 Votes)
Final fantasy VI
Not goign to hear any complaints from me concerning VI's ranking, its my personal favorite and it seems like most of the active forum are pretty chill with it as well even if it may not be their personal favorite. Which is the big thing to take away from this census in general is that even if your favorite isn't shared with everyone here, at least the census allows it a chance to be recognized and shared with the rest of us.

Census is done/ I'd like to thank everyone who participated, I can't do this without you. Literally. now I'm going to do something more constructive with my time, and play Final Fantasy Type-0 some more. :wcanoe:

Karifean
03-22-2020, 10:37 AM
Thank you very much for hosting this WK, it was great having something like this once more~

Actually started having a talk about FFX just yesterday, but the conversation and discussion around the game seems to be feeling like a chore to peeps at this point. Maybe I'll make a couple blog posts or something at some point though.

Glad to see my own favorite entry that high up of course =P although looking back over my votes, I did vote for FFX-2 as well and it got omitted from the runners up? Ah well, not about to make a drama about it.

Galuf
03-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Thank you very much for hosting this WK, it was great having something like this once more~

Actually started having a talk about FFX just yesterday, but the conversation and discussion around the game seems to be feeling like a chore to peeps at this point. Maybe I'll make a couple blog posts or something at some point though.

Glad to see my own favorite entry that high up of course =P although looking back over my votes, I did vote for FFX-2 as well and it got omitted from the runners up? Ah well, not about to make a drama about it.

Ain't a chore to me, i love talking about FF and yesterday was no different. Also WK just hates X-2 more than even XIII :shifty:

Lord Golbez
03-22-2020, 04:50 PM
No surprise there, but I consider FFVI to be easily the most overrated FF.

Fynn
03-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Great to see VI so high and yes, it’s super satisfying to see FFXII quite so vindicated. Great job once again, Wolf!

Freya
03-22-2020, 07:19 PM
Yay for VI! IX almost made it. so close my friendos

Galuf
03-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Yay for VI! IX almost made it. so close my friendos
The guy behind Freya in your signature is me whenever anything IX loses anything.

Bubba
03-23-2020, 11:16 AM
It was great to have the census back again, WK. Awesome job :-)