PDA

View Full Version : Pop vs Soda vs Fizzy Drink

Aulayna
04-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Well heathens, which one is it?

Slothy
04-11-2020, 05:30 PM
It's pop. Anyone choosing any other option is a nazi.

Mr Gashtacular
04-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Anyone who calls it soda probably voted trump.

im a "pop" guy myself, but i have a respect for "fizzy drink" as well. its wrong, but it's not "soda" wrong.

Spuuky
04-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Actually Trump voters would call it "coke."

In reality I use the specific name of the specific product I am referencing, but if I have to use a generic term for some reason I call it fizzy drink because that's what my wife calls it and I thought it was cute so I adopted it.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Soda pop is a fizzy drink.

Question: Is the answer being a regional difference really a thing? I hear it mythologized that "well, people from the midwest call it so and so" but I hear all the answers used interchangeably, everywhere.

Freya
04-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Soda usually. But i've used Pop before too. And Coke. Never fizzy drink.

Shauna
04-11-2020, 10:02 PM
It's all juice.

Spuuky
04-11-2020, 11:46 PM
Question: Is the answer being a regional difference really a thing? I hear it mythologized that "well, people from the midwest call it so and so" but I hear all the answers used interchangeably, everywhere.I hear different accents everywhere interchangeably, too. Because people travel and even move to different places.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-12-2020, 01:18 AM
It looks like there is a discernible difference. In retrospect I'm not sure why I questioned it, as regional differences are a thing. Down to and including carbonated beverages.

http://popvssoda.com/

Here's a map that changes as more "soda vs pop" surveys get entered.

The more you know. :grover:

It seems fair to say that fizzy drink has the unquestionably lowest use of the three.

Psychotic
04-12-2020, 06:37 AM
It seems fair to say that fizzy drink has the unquestionably lowest use of the three.Oh, it’s questionable: Why does that map only show the USA? :p

In the UK I think most people would refer to the drink as a brand name or type, but if pushed to label the group fizzy drink would be the clear winner. I remember my grandad calling it pop, and I have heard nobody use the term soda.

Mr Gashtacular
04-12-2020, 10:47 AM
It seems fair to say that fizzy drink has the unquestionably lowest use of the three.Oh, it’s questionable: Why does that map only show the USA? :p

In the UK I think most people would refer to the drink as a brand name or type, but if pushed to label the group fizzy drink would be the clear winner. I remember my grandad calling it pop, and I have heard nobody use the term soda.

scottish ppl call everything coke

they be like "yea i want coke" and u give them a coke and theyre like "uhm no the orange one". they wanted fanta all along!!

i know this is true because i spoke to one scottish person once

Shauna
04-12-2020, 12:19 PM

they be like "yea i want coke" and u give them a coke and theyre like "uhm no the orange one". they wanted fanta all along!!

i know this is true because i spoke to one scottish person once

no we call everything juice

get it right chump

Psychotic
04-12-2020, 12:21 PM

i know this is true because i spoke to one scottish person oncewe voted brexit so we wouldn't have to take this nonsense from them anymore

Loony BoB
04-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Soft drink is what I grew up calling it. Fizzy drink works too, though. If talking online, I often say soda because everyone knows what it means. Pop seems silly.

Mr Gashtacular
04-12-2020, 06:32 PM
pop is what dads call it imo

"PIPPITY BOP, MAKE MINE A POP!!!" - ur dad ordering at tgi fridays

Mr Gashtacular
04-12-2020, 06:34 PM
bingo bango

make mine a tango

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-12-2020, 10:26 PM
bingo bango

make mine a tango

Fresh out. You'll have to order a different pop.

Mr Gashtacular
04-13-2020, 09:07 AM
yea??

well fuck you and your piece of shit store

how dare you embarrass me in front of my children this way

we're leaving. watch out for your yelp review, asshole. in fact, get the manager

Aulayna
04-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Yeah I realised I forgot to include some other options like:

Soft Drink

Mineral

escobert
04-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Soda.

Iceglow
04-16-2020, 11:24 AM
Soft Drink is the most commonly used term in restaurant menus. However if I was pushed to use anything but the actual name (except coke/pepsi which is often said in the context of "Could I get a Coke Zero/Pepsi Max? Whichever one you serve here") I would be using Fizzy Drink.

(the) pterodactyl king
04-24-2020, 11:05 AM
I normally call it as Cold drink but soda is good too. I never called it Pop, my friends call it fizz drink though.

Hoju
04-26-2020, 06:43 AM
I call it pop.