PDA

View Full Version : Aeris vs Aerith: The Great Debate

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-11-2020, 06:51 PM
What is your preference?

First of all, they're both right.

It's Aerith, yeah. But if you grew up playing PS1, whether or not it's incorrectly translated is irrelevant. You're used to it, and it was officially localized as Aeris.

This one isn't even that a big deal. Imagine being called "Butz" lmao.

I left off the third poll option, "I just use whatever is said in that specific game", which I think is the choice most people would be okay with.

Fun Fact: In a more recent FF7 playthrough a few years back, I changed her name to Aerith. You can still notice in sentences where it's supposed to be Aeris when they signify the double S apostrophe indicating possession.

Aulayna
04-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Aerith always sounded better to me than Aeris. I think I switched to Aerith as soon as I learned about that name.

Psychotic
04-11-2020, 07:17 PM
I used to be pro-Aeris but over the years I changed. I think Aerith looks and sounds nicer.

Lord Golbez
04-11-2020, 09:50 PM
I prefer Aeris. I know that may just be a consequence of originally seeing the name as Aeris and not knowing it was supposed to be Aerith, but I have another reason. Although Aerith provides the nice thematic anagram, when it comes to names an aesthetic response matters a bit more to me. Aerith gives the impression of a kid with a lisp mispronouncing a name. Aeris is the more aesthetically pleasing sound.

Loony BoB
04-12-2020, 01:39 AM
Aeris looks and sounds nicer to me, Aerith just feels lispy. I don't mind either, but I think knowing that the name was Aeris in the first game just makes the th part afterwards feel odd.

Despite that, I like the character better in all the things in which she's called Aerith, so in one way I do like Aerith better than Aeris. :p

Shiva95
04-12-2020, 12:58 PM
I prefer Aerith. That's the correction translation and I just think it sounds better.

Mr Gashtacular
04-12-2020, 06:33 PM
i always thought it was better as Aeris, but now I don't really care so much

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Aerith always sounded better to me than Aeris. I think I switched to Aerith as soon as I learned about that name.

Fynn
04-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Aerith only sounds lispy if you’re holding on to the old transcript. Once you let go of that version, Aerith sounds perfectly fine. I’ve honestly always preferred that version myself

Nice
04-13-2020, 10:37 PM
Always gonna be Aeris. But I don't mind Aerith either. But truly, she'll always be the flower girl.

ham
04-15-2020, 11:38 PM
I like both.

I naturally say 'Aeris' but if someone says 'Aerith', I'll change the pronunciation to that to keep the conversation flowing.

maybee
04-16-2020, 05:54 AM
Aeris always, but it's always easier just to use Aerith.

Bubba
04-16-2020, 10:21 AM
No 'slum drunk' option in the poll

:colbert:

Madame Adequate
04-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Aeris sounds better to me than Aerith. I will never use Aerith. Unless - end of 7R spoilers here - they tell us that she's called Aeris in one timeline and Aerith in another. Then I would be okay with it.

e; Wait I just saw that Lonny Bob prefers Aeris. I shall change my opinion to oppose his accordingly.

Loony BoB
04-18-2020, 04:28 PM
e; Wait I just saw that Lonny Bob prefers Aeris. I shall change my opinion to oppose his accordingly.

:heart:

Mercen-X
04-19-2020, 05:08 AM
It isn't a matter of localization that is an issue for me. Until the first time I heard someone else say her name, I had been mispronouncing her name something more like Aries. I convinced myself that was the original Japanese pronunciation. Considering they only have long vowel sounds (except for "ah") it's no wonder they always had localization issues. Yeah, that's the sound of me blaming the Japanese. Lol, I need to get a life.

Aerisfanatic
06-28-2020, 09:48 AM
I used to be staunchly an "Aeris" person but the remake sorta converted me to "Aerith." Although I still call her Aeris sometimes out of habit.

I remember it used to bother me that in AC and KH they would purposely never vocalize her name, I'm assuming because of this very debate.

Aerith's Knight
06-28-2020, 12:06 PM
I used to be pro-Aeris but over the years I changed. I think Aerith looks and sounds nicer.

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. :D

Haha, but yeah, I never left the Aerith camp. And the new games thankfully confirmed my choice. Although it could theoretically be caused by the alternate reality thing.

Raistlin
06-29-2020, 03:50 AM
I originally said Aeris, but long ago transitioned to Aerith. Considering in every other appearance she's had since the original game she's been called Aerith, it's tough to dispute what her real name is at this point.

qwertysaur
06-29-2020, 06:00 AM
エアリス
e-a-ri-su

The issue is with the final kana ス, which is the su sound. When you say the same, especially the ending リス you get the -rith sound naturally, making Aerith closer to the Japanese pronunciation.

Interesting side fact I noticed, is the kana for Barret

バレット
baretto
Since Japanese has no l sound it is replaced with the r sound. So baretto is how a Japanese speaker would say the word Bullet.

CimminyCricket
07-02-2020, 01:48 PM
I call her by her "official" name, Aerith, but I do really like how Aeris sounds and looks.

Primus Inter Pares
07-02-2020, 08:22 PM
It has and always will be Aeris for me. That is what I was presented with when I first played the game and it sounds way better than Aerith.

Vyk
07-03-2020, 01:01 AM
I used to feel like Aerith sounded stupid because it sounds like Aeris with a lisp. Thankfully my brain dissolved that association over time, because there's just no getting away from it. I've gotten used to, and fond of the way Aerith sounds now. But that may just be conditioning. Regardless, you can't get away from it now. Their official stance is here and it's not going to regress

Fascinating that Barret may have meant to be Bullet though, and nobody started a pronunciation war over that name

Also weird how Lydia and Rydia never blew up. People used their preferred style and nobody gave a crap who said what

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-08-2020, 03:09 PM
Maybe because I played Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII before I played Final Fantasy VII, I have thought Aerith sounded much better than Aeris.

JJ Strife
07-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Wasn't the pronounciation originally supposed to be that a th sounded like an s?

Which they then abandoned in Crisis Core?

Vermachtnis
07-08-2020, 08:58 PM
Aeris, almost like the God of War

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVmGcjvXYAIrjpu.jpg

Example
07-09-2020, 01:26 PM
I say Aeris when referring to her in the original game and Aerith for everything else.

King Edgar
07-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Aeris for life. Aerith will never not sound strange to me.