PDA

View Full Version : Games you love that your friends hate (2020 Edition)

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2020, 11:06 PM
We all have friends (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156262-Games-you-love-that-your-friends-don-t)...

...and the obvious jokes being over. What are some games you love that all your friends are like "hard pass"?

maybee
05-02-2020, 12:23 AM
Do friends that are not into gaming full stop count ? :lol:

Wolf Kanno
05-02-2020, 12:42 AM
I mean I guess...^^;

Aulayna
05-02-2020, 01:29 AM
FFXIV

DMKA
05-02-2020, 02:11 AM
FFXIII

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2020, 04:05 AM
Xenosaga and Xenogears for starters.

Fynn
05-04-2020, 06:16 AM
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. This one is pretty unanimous. Wolf Kanno is the only friend I have that’s played it and doesn’t have a visceral hatred for it.

Example
05-04-2020, 10:58 AM
I have a friend who thinks the Metal Gear Solid series is dumb even though I like it (though not as much as I used to), on the other hand he likes Crisis Core which I despise with a passion. One of my former workmates dislikes JRPGs in general. And if it counts, my dad thought Spyro for PS1 was a dumb game for babies (he preferred Crash and MediEvil).

Karifean
05-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Final Fantasy XII, except on here.

Fynn
05-04-2020, 06:51 PM
See, I thought you were going to say FFX because I hate it :p

Oh.

Wait, does that mean I'm not your friend?

Karifean
05-04-2020, 07:19 PM
See, I thought you were going to say FFX because I hate it :p

Oh.

Wait, does that mean I'm not your friend?

You said you didn't hate it!

Fynn
05-04-2020, 07:33 PM
OK maybe I don't hate hate it, but still! I'm in the opposite camp, is what I'm saying

Shaibana
05-06-2020, 04:02 PM
Bold of you to assume i have friends

Shauna
05-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Probably plenty? I don't keep track of all the things my friends like and or dislike.

Mercen-X
05-07-2020, 06:38 PM
"I love that my friends hate this game..."

Lol. Just kidding... I don't have friends.

tidus79
05-07-2020, 08:59 PM
My friends don't like Visual Novel and Otaku games in general (like Steins;Gate series) ^^

I don't like Pes,Madden,Gta LOL

Mercen-X
05-08-2020, 05:39 AM
You don't like pez?

Christmas
06-26-2020, 03:20 PM
IF THEY DUN LOVE MY GAMES, THEY ARE NOT MY FRIENDS!

Raistlin
06-28-2020, 03:23 AM
FFXII and FFT. A disturbing number of people have poor taste and don't like those games.

Jiro
06-28-2020, 04:53 AM
'Hate', not at all. I see the vitriol online and am eternally glad that nobody I regularly associate with is like that. But I think it's pretty common for people to have a different experience. At least of my friends didn't care for Final Fantasy VII Remake; I thought it was pretty interesting. Most of the people whose opinions I get access to are devs, students, or critics though so there's a certain degree of interest or value-seeking even in something that's not working for us as individuals. I've enjoyed (and gained value from) a lot of games that weren't made for me.

I think the game where there's the biggest disparity is Football Manager. Plenty of people don't care for the spreadsheet simulator but I fucking froth over it.

CimminyCricket
07-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Disgaea.

There are a handful of people on EoFF that I bought and sent Disgaea and I don't know that any of them have finished it.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Xenosaga and Xenogears for starters.

I just don't understand that. Great games.

Disgaea.

There are a handful of people on EoFF that I bought and sent Disgaea and I don't know that any of them have finished it.

I don't think you bought us any Disgaeas, but I enjoyed the one that I played.

Ashton tried playing one and also really liked characters and dialogue, but found it "off-puttingly" difficult and grindy.

For me, it's probably the Tenchu series. After 1 and 2 nobody else cared, but I think some of the later ones like Fatal Shadows were great.

Spuuky
07-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Disgaea is offputtingly grindy. The grind is eternal.

CimminyCricket
07-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Disgaea.

I don't think you bought us any Disgaeas, but I enjoyed the one that I played.

Ashton tried playing one and also really liked characters and dialogue, but found it "off-puttingly" difficult and grindy.

Yeah I get that. The whole point is to grind

I don't think it was y'all either, I think you already had it

Vyk
07-03-2020, 12:54 AM
Throw me in there. I loved the characters and the banter between them and the story seemed interesting enough. But good lord. I'm kind of a special case in that regard though. I can barely play Final Fantasy Tactics games, or Fire Emblem games, because they are too grindy. I can't stand games that are all combat and story. I need other things to do. And thank god for Fire Emblem Three Houses. Such a breath of fresh air. And I really hate games like this where the "overworld" is just a picture of a map or town with dots on it. At least let me walk from A to B. There's already a severe lack of gameplay outside of combat. If I wanted JUST combat, I'd play Sarcraft

On the other hand. I think I get why people like them. You can put yourself in a safe headspace and just go. There's not a lot of "You forgot this item at the beginning of the game, so therefor you miss out on this item or character toward the end of the game". Everything seems to be in your hands. I don't think you're actually required to get to level 999 and do 99999 points of damage to beat the games. It's just an option to go crazy with

But yeah, once I found out you upgrade your weapons by fighting 10 - 100 battles inside the weapon, and you have to do X amount of battles just to have the option to leave the weapon and save your progress. I was out. I'm honestly surprised the series caught on with those kind of expectations. Are the sequels lighter, or more extreme than the original? I'd be interested in taste testing another, but I figure it's all the same with just different coats of paint

CimminyCricket
07-03-2020, 02:50 AM
Way more extreme. I beat the secret boss with something like 9mil stats in the first game and on the more recent I'm in the 20mil and I get crushed

Mr Gashtacular
07-03-2020, 09:01 AM
Back in school, I knew like 2 people who liked FF. It was considered kind of lame, I guess. Hate would be too strong a word, though. I'm pretty sure my friend group was strong just because of FF, or at least was part of the foundation for it. I only really speak to one person from that group now, but we still talk about FF fairly often.

Most of my friend group now don't play a lot of games, and when they do, they're "casual". They don't really care who is playing what, as far as I can tell.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-04-2020, 04:52 AM
The Legendary Heroes Trails of x tend to be a bit... divisive among some of my friends. I personally adore the general worldbuilding and generally smart political drama to the point where I can tolerate the torrent of Anime Garbage (and as someone who loves Anime and is garbage I must stress that these series have a lot of Anime Garbage) but for some it's a total dealbreaker, which, yeah fair.

krissy
07-04-2020, 05:52 AM
ff13 and sequels

mirrors edge honestly didn't get amazing reviews and mixed reception but I spent over a 100 hours beating time challenges in it and can still probably do the game in under 4hrs

Kikiara
07-04-2020, 11:48 PM
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. This one is pretty unanimous. Wolf Kanno is the only friend I have that’s played it and doesn’t have a visceral hatred for it.

This is the really big one for me too. For me, Dragon Quarter is far and away the most interesting Breath of Fire game, and I'd probably go so far as to count it among my top ten RPGs of all time. But the game inspires so much hostility in almost of the RPG players I've met, both online and off. I can count on one hand the people I've met who even tolerate it, much less like it.

Freya
07-05-2020, 01:01 AM
I fucking love the Sims games. I have spent so much money on the packs and I still will. I don't care. I love it.

Fynn
07-05-2020, 06:20 AM
I guess I can add FFXV to the list now. I’m absolutely in love with it but like most of the old guard of the FF community seem very bitter towards it.

Wolf Kanno
07-05-2020, 06:42 PM

This is the really big one for me too. For me, Dragon Quarter is far and away the most interesting Breath of Fire game, and I'd probably go so far as to count it among my top ten RPGs of all time. But the game inspires so much hostility in almost of the RPG players I've met, both online and off. I can count on one hand the people I've met who even tolerate it, much less like it.

Hey, you can add me to that one hand count (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/170194-WK-s-Top-something-or-other-let-s-just-say-quot-games-quot-and-call-it-good-list?p=3674964&viewfull=1#post3674964).

WarZidane
07-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Honestly nothing really comes to mind, both "hate" and "love" are strong words. Like, I enjoyed FFXIII and FFXV but that's far from loving them. On the other hand you've got something like Tales of Graces f which I did love, but then my friends have more of a "meh" reaction to that game, which is far from hate. :p

I guess the closest would be Ar Tonelico Qoga and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, love both but generally others range from disinterest because fanservice leaves a bad first impression, to having played the game but disliking it overall.

Fynn
07-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Hey my take on XC2 clearly doesn’t count because I haven’t played it!

Vyk
07-05-2020, 10:17 PM
I'm almost afraid to try XC2 now that I have access to a Switch. I almost feel like Spoony/Noah with FF8 or 10 in regards to it. I don't like the fanservice, and I don't like that fanservice was used with what appeared to be 12 year olds. And their costume designs makes my head hurt. And then when it was localized I found out that those 12 year olds have the voices of 30 year olds (or at least the main character). But either way, no matter how good the game may be, I don't think it would be wise or fair for me to attempt a serious playthrough with the mindset I've had regarding it. So I just kind of ignore that it exists. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the first game, so it's whatever I guess. But it is unfortunate that they made those design choices and put off so many former fans of the first game

Slothy
07-05-2020, 11:32 PM
mirrors edge honestly didn't get amazing reviews and mixed reception but I spent over a 100 hours beating time challenges in it and can still probably do the game in under 4hrs

Mirrors Edge is one of the most purely enjoyable games I've ever played. Always loved the way moving in that world felt and disappointed I never played anything else that captured that magic.

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2020, 05:19 AM
I'd like Mirror's Edge more if it wasn't for the forced combat sections. Escaping from a building while guards are chasing you down is intense and fun. Not so much when you get stuck in an arena and now have to fight through them to complete the level. Game should have been pure platform if you ask me.