PDA

View Full Version : 2021 will be the the year of Shin Megami Tensei

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Well it looks like next year will be the year for Atlus' old school flagship franchise Shin Megami Tensei. In addition to finally announcing the worldwide release of SMTV that has been mostly silent since it was initially announced back in 2017, it looks like my prayers were also answered and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is getting an HD Remaster with VA and Raidou instead of Dante. I am pretty stoked, but annoyed I now have to buy a Switch for SMTV, not to mention I have to debate whether I'll get the PS4 version of Nocturne or do the Switch version.

JDQDs1dsQmg

2Mz6Wnhl1rs

Also, is it me or does the ruined Tokyo in SMTV bear more than a little resemblance to the Vortex World from SMTIII? I'm also happy to see classic Lucifer design after the abominations that was SMTIV.

EDITGA: I also really hope the Japanese Collector's edition gets a Western release. That thing looks cool and I want that soundtrack CD.

Fynn
07-21-2020, 06:41 AM
Of course you get the Switch version. For portability!

WarZidane
07-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Except if you only ever use the Switch docked like me, then you just get the PS4 version :p

Vyk
07-21-2020, 03:30 PM
I have yet to get a Switch, but whenever I use my girlfriends, it's almost exclusively docked. I can see the appeal of playing a full console game for 15 minutes while pooping, but I can't think of any game that I absolutely must have while pooping because I don't plan on taking any breaks lol I don't take breaks at work and I don't go on road trips, so portable gaming is a useless concept in my life. But I am glad the Switch has become this weird haven for odd concepts and retro and indie darlings. Somehow it makes developers and publishers feel more confident in doing the things we want. So I do have to get a Switch of my own someday when they actually become available again

Super stoked that I finally get a chance to play Nocturne. I keep getting into Persona games and falling out with them, I rarely get a chance to even try other SMT games. So I'll definitely grab that for the PS4 when I get the chance. I'm glad Atlus is starting to see the value in making things available. Hopefully the PSP Persona 2 games will eventually get a console (and Western) port

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2020, 12:55 AM
I've been wanting to try SMTIII for awhile, maybe I'll just wait for this then!

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2020, 06:08 AM
Here's the longer Japanese trailer which shows off more of the game, talks about the Japanese VA, and reveals the game now has a new Merciful mode.

CT8Voxr2Vx0

Fynn
07-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Merciful mode sounds like a good compromise, what with the rereleases usually being easier for accessibility, but the original difficulty being intact means those who want a more authentic experience can’t really complain. The question is will the other two difficulties be left intact or will they be changed somewhat?

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
I think that will depend on if they add anymore content to it. I did notice that DLC flashed in some of the writing.

Wolf Kanno
07-26-2020, 09:27 AM
So what is everyone hoping to see in SMTV?

Fynn
07-26-2020, 04:00 PM
I’m honestly just stoked it’s coming and am open to whatever. I do hope they stick to what makes SMT special after shifting Apocalypse’s values more towards Persona.

Wolf Kanno
07-27-2020, 02:47 AM
Honestly, starting with Devil Survivor, I've felt Atlus has been trying to shift MegaTen more and more towards Persona appeal. I'm hoping the Nocturne Remaster does well to make them realize there is still an audience for a classic MegaTen experience.

WarZidane
07-27-2020, 01:25 PM
More games like SMT IV (except this time not on a pure handheld) is A-Okay with me.

Wolf Kanno
08-10-2020, 06:30 AM
What kills me is that Nocturne Remaster has been getting a lot of publicity after the reveal of the game, and yet SMTV has gone back to Code:Silent from Atlus, not even after trailer style interview with Famitsu. I get that Nocturne HD comes out this year in Japan, but considering we have less than a year left until SMTV's release, I was hoping we would see a little more.

I think what I would like to see from SMTV is have them pull a bit of an SMT1 and let us really explore pre-destruction Tokyo. We'vce jumped straight into the apocalypse in the last three numbered installments, would be nice to explore a Tokyo being invaded and then the eventual hell hole it will become.

Wolf Kanno
08-12-2020, 06:33 AM
The Meme lives on. Atlus just revealed another piece of DLC for the Nocturne Remaster.

CyKAgXbEX3A

Fynn
08-12-2020, 07:46 AM
I heard some regions, such as China and Korea, won’t actually have Raidou in the game. Makes me wonder if they’ll have Dante in his stead

Wolf Kanno
09-03-2020, 07:31 AM
New trailer showing off more scenes and the Japanese VA.

edvE_ohsH6k

I still love the art direction of this game. :love:

Wolf Kanno
03-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Finally pre-ordered Nocturne HD today. Went with PS4 version because I want to savor this game and see it on the big screen. I have a switch lite. Course, of it ever goes one sale for cheap I may pick it up for the switch as well. I mean it is one of my top ten favoirte games for a reason.

I've been listening to a lot of bitching and whining about this game from the online community. Mostly about the cash grab nature of part of it, but frankly, I feel these people are ignoring how Atlus has handles DLC in the past and should know better that they know where to screw you for your money. Still miffed at the DLC for P5 and SMTIVA. But SMTIII is a masterpiece in my mind, so I'm willing to drop a full game price for an HD release, even if the game hardly needed it.

Fynn
03-27-2021, 07:00 AM
MegaTen is just one of those series that attracts an incredibly toxic fan base. Going on their subreddit almost feels like wading in 4chan.

Wolf Kanno
04-21-2021, 07:42 PM
Got a new trailer as we get closer to the release of SMT III HD. Gives us a good chance to listen to the English dub as well. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Reason Trailer
LSJTd-rA_NE

Wolf Kanno
06-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Got my copy of Nocturne the other day. Opted for the PS4 because I just like the idea of playing the game on a big screen more. I'm still knee deep into SaGa Scarlet Graces, so it may be a hot minute to get around to playing it.

Sadly, I'm starting to think it's very likely that SMTV is getting pushed back to next year due to how quiet Atlus has been. I figured the team would have said something by now about how the game is coming along. I'm sure the simultaneous world release is part of the issue.

WarZidane
06-06-2021, 09:47 AM
They actually accidentally updated the website a few days ago saying it's being released in November, but then took that information down again: https://personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-v-release-date-details-leak/

Of course it could be outdated info and/or it could still be delayed, but we'll probably know more after E3 week

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Yeah I just saw that today funny enough. :lol:

Vyk
06-10-2021, 01:55 AM
I have a very mixed feelings relationship with Atlus. I appreciate their games, but they were very niche while I was collecting and not a lot of their more obscure stuff jived with me. Then I got into the Persona games and they attacked youtubers and released the same game two times at full price on the same console. Fortunately I wasn't around when they did that on the PS2 with Persona 3. They lost a super amount of respect from me when they did it on the PS4. But I don't pretend to be a fan and I don't go on their forum to whine about it. So that's ... unhealthy. But as someone who is critical of Atlus, I can see where that opinion comes from

I do appreciate that I can play an old game on a newer console. It's probably too much to hope that they do something similar with Persona 2

As far as SMT5 I feel like they've always been an excessively quiet studio. I was super hyped about the Fire Emblem and Persona cross-over except they never said anything about it after announcing it, and then waited until the last minute to admit they changed the name and deviated from the idea substantially. I was still going to get it if I ever got a WiiU but there was very little reason to drop money on a console with just maybe two games to try. So I never did. Pretty happy it came to the Switch, but I've yet to acquire one of those myself. Girlfriend has one, but I know better than to get into a game on someone else's console. Usually leads to complications when something releases that we both want. So I just do without

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2021, 01:23 AM
Whine a little bit and you get some results. November release date and they actually showed some gameplay. Core battle system seems to be unchanged though it looks like we're doing a slight redo of the Demi-Fiend scenario since it looks like they dropped guns again and the main hero gets a transformation form. I imagine with what the announcement trailer showed that our hero is going to be a Law equivalent to the Demi-Fiend which is not a bad idea. We haven't had a more Law focused entry since the OG Devil Survivor *shudders* but so far the game is looking interesting and I'm glad it looks like it's up and running.

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2021, 01:37 AM
Just found a kickass new trailer for the game as well.

DfpqU49DtGQ

Del Murder
06-17-2021, 12:25 AM
That trailer is a pretty good trailer. The game looks very fun.

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Apparently Fusion now requires going all evil villain trope.
jUtrCS1ArXc

Wolf Kanno
10-29-2021, 05:36 AM
So the game comes out in two weeks, who is excited and who is picking this up?

WarZidane
10-29-2021, 02:43 PM
Already ordered it, definitely looking forward to playing it. I've been tempted to play Apocalypse, but held off because playing two SMT games in a row tends to burn me out on it a bit, wouldn't want that to happen in the middle of SMT V :p

Jessweeee♪
10-30-2021, 08:43 PM
Too close to Endwalker launch, but once I've fully explored the new content and have settled back into the weekly FFXIV routine I will be picking this up.

Jinx
10-31-2021, 03:10 AM
Too close to Endwalker launch, but once I've fully explored the new content and have settled back into the weekly FFXIV routine I will be picking this up.

Wolf Kanno
11-14-2021, 08:01 AM
I know we have the thread in Discord, but figured I'd give a shout in case anyone wants to discuss SMTV here.

Fynn
11-14-2021, 11:12 AM
I really hope to play it one day! Here’s hoping Santa gets me a switch, but if that doesn’t work out I hope the PC port rumors are true

Del Murder
11-15-2021, 08:13 PM
I've been on the fence since there are so many good Switch games out right now. I liked Persona 5 a lot but it seems like the SMT series has less of a focus on the character development which is one of the reasons I really liked P5 and P4.

Depression Moon
11-15-2021, 10:21 PM
The game sounds hard and at my age I just want a moderate challenge and not stress. I don't have a Switch anyway though.

Fynn
11-16-2021, 07:47 AM
Difficulty modes are a thing