09-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Yoshi P is in charge. It'll be great.

Fynn
09-16-2020, 10:21 PM
looks like final fantasy: game of witchers

honestly not sure why

https://youtu.be/2tBnBAkHv9M

2tBnBAkHv9M

Yeah, the main problem I have is just that it looks like... so many other things

:(

Psychotic
09-16-2020, 10:38 PM
Good, we need more British accents in medieval settings. :p As others have said, it's been done before, but it's not really been done by Final Fantasy for a long, long time. Only really FFT comes close, so you know what? I'll give it a chance. I'd like to see what they do with that kind of setting.

What does get me a little bit disappointed is that the characters look like medieval FFXIV or XV. There's nothing really new there with the art style. It also looks rather po-faced and serious.

It also seems to be somewhat far along in development based on the variety of areas and combats seen. I wonder if it's a launch day release. Surely not...?

Fynn
09-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Nah, Yoshi P has stated that it's still going to be a while.

But yeah, idk, I'm just sad that after two viewings of this trailer it just does nothing to me. It looks like the dynamic between the dude with Phoenix and the kid with Ifrit might be the central conflict and that could be interesting, but other than that, I'm just not feeling it.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-16-2020, 11:35 PM
Already changed my set.

I'm ready.

JJ Strife
09-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Man I'm so excited. Certainly not the most original style they've ever done. It does look very much like The Witcher or Dragon Age. But I trust that they'll make it interesting.

I like that it's so very different from the style of FF7, given that the 2 will be overlapping one another.

It feels kinda like Tactics mixed with FFXV, if I were to describe the vibe I was getting (Tactics for the visual and setting, FFXV for the general tone and mood of the characters and narrative. Also XV gameplay.)

Also, I'm just glad there's a game without Nomura Lol. You could instantly tell because the characters look like normal humans.

Lamia
09-17-2020, 12:17 AM
With every single player main FF game in the series since X, there are always a group of fans that complained that the latest installment doesn't feel like Final Fantasy. I was never one of them. But I have finally become that person this time around. It's difficult to pin point what makes Final Fantasy feel like Final Fantasy. Many will point out that FF has experimented with many different styles and settings over the years. But I will say this: this looks generic. It looks like a Korean MMORPG and the character design do not have the originality that we are accustomed to getting from a Final Fantasy game. Many are cheering the return to a medieval setting -- but for me it lacks the whimsy of other FF titles that have a medieval setting. It feels too much like other medieval fantasy games that have been released in recent years.

After many years of being a fan (and I have been a fan since the first game on NES), I am finally thoroughly disappointed.

DMKA
09-17-2020, 01:38 AM
Not to be a wet blanket but........MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH :-/

I'm going to keep in mind that it's a launch trailer, and people have been begging them to do another high-fantasy medieval inspired FF for the last fifteen years or so, so kudos to them for finally listening.

It doesn't look BAD. It just looks........uninspired? Generic? Like I've seen it before? It also doesn't look very next-gen to me. There are current gen games that look far more impressive. Heck FFXV looked more impressive. I'm guessing it was a purely stylistic choice to keep it similar enough to the FFXIV look? Because that's absolutely what the look of the characters reminds me of.

I look forward to seeing/hearing more but I can safely say that this is the least excited I've ever been after seeing a mainline FF announcement trailer.

Fox
09-17-2020, 01:43 AM
Pretty sure I heard the VA for Shulk in the trailer so I'm pretty pumped for another thrilling adventure with the POWER OF THE MONADO!

Nothing about this trailer really grabbed me like the XII and XV trailers did... but I also kinda dislike those games, so I'm not judging by first impressions too much! Has FF done the kind of Dragon Age-y, Witcher-y medieval look before? Can't really remember it if so. Again, not the most visually appealing setting right off the bat but it all depends on what they do with it. Looking forward to seeing more.

krissy
09-17-2020, 04:22 AM
gimme dat dmc combat style though and I'll enjoy it no matter what kind of George rr Martin bs the story is, which tbh I haven't given up on yet, like others said, first trailer could bee nothing like the final product

looks a bit like a more action based ff7r combat? but go full action square, it's fine, I will accept and allow it

Depression Moon
09-17-2020, 05:25 AM
At this point I'm done with Final Fantasy after the VII Remake is finished.

This was just whatever to me. The overall tone didn't feel like Final Fantasy. I didn't get adventure vibes. It looks like XIV's art style, but the colors are kind of muted. It's still turn based which cements that turb based is dead for the franchise and I'm still upset they're going with that direction because they feel like nobody likes turn based anymore despite Persona 5, DQ XI, and Octopath Traveler doing well. Shit, Persona 4 Golden is probably doing good on Steam too.

The combat reminds me of Souls and DMC and I only saw 1 character. Yeah, I'm good.

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 05:52 AM
A lot of you guys are being way too quick to judge it negatively based on so little information.

If you judged FFXIII based on its early trailers, it looked incredible. Yet then it went on to be the most disliked in the series for several decades. You really can't know how good it'll be from these surface level impressions.

I mean we don't even know what type of game it is really yet. Is it open world like FFXV (first half)? Is it highly linear like FFXIII? Are there other party members? (seems likely)

Fynn
09-17-2020, 06:02 AM
I think it’s less about judging and more about how this trailer just utterly failed to do it for us. Of course I want to be excited and I hope the later trailers do it for me. But as of now, this is the first time ever a new FF is announced and I feel absolutely nothing at all - and that is pretty heartbreaking.

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 06:23 AM
Well I think you're just putting more weight on a trailer than I am. They don't tend to tell you that much about the final product really, except some of the general concepts and themes. Can't you remember that original FF13 trailer that looked incredible, where it made it look like the battle system was almost like a cinematic cutscene (which of course didn't exist in the final game at all, because that would be a nightmare to design for an entire game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI

Or that original FFXV trailer, where pretty much 100% of what was shown ended up being cut from the final game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

This is probably not the kind of setting and style I would've gone for either. Personally I'd like to see them retry something like the FF13 sci-fi aesthetic, but with a better implementation. But I don't think all of that stuff matters too much at the end of the day. The quality of the game will ultimately come down to its story, characters, gameplay, and world design. Not its surface level aesthetics and themes.

Fynn
09-17-2020, 06:42 AM
It doesn’t matter how much of the trailer went into the final game in a conversation about first impressions. This isn’t something that can be changed through logic. This is about a visceral emotional reaction. XIII’s original trailer was gripping and while I don’t care about the game, if still had that unique identity which shined through in that trailer. Versus’ trailer was so hauntingly beautiful that it managed to make people wait for that project for all those years. The music alone just gave it so much personality and the themes of the final game still reflect it very well. FFXVI’s first trailer made me think I was watching a trailer for another Ubisoft game at first.

Of course the final product can be good - I’m not saying that it can’t. It’s just that this is the first time an initial announcement of an FF makes it feel generic. FF may have had its ups and downs, but it always stood out. Now it looks like SE is chasing all the latest trends in fantasy.

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 07:15 AM
Well I don't see how your first impressions can be divorced from your general understanding of the series as a whole, and what trailers do and don't tend to convey in that series.

Like if you'd given me that exact same trailer but just changed the name of the game from Final Fantasy to something completely different, my reaction to it will be different, even though the content of the video is identical, because my imagination is going to start going in different directions in terms of the sort of game it will end up being.

I certainly agree that it's probably the most generic fantasy setting they've done for quite a while. But I just don't put much weight on the aesthetic of the setting really, because I think the quality of Final Fantasy games is almost completely independent of that.

Bubba
09-17-2020, 08:03 AM
Oh lordy Lordy... the doom-and-gloom in this thread.

One trailer in and “iT dOeSn’T fEeL lIkE fInAl FaNtAsY” “iT’s sOoOoOo uNoRiGiNal”

Watch this game now become the best Final Fantasy in twenty years.

Fynn
09-17-2020, 08:09 AM
No one is saying the game is definitely going to be bad. It’s just a bit sad the trailer just does nothing for some of us. But okay, be dismissive.

Wolf Kanno
09-17-2020, 09:49 AM
I'm intrigued. Probably helped I dodged Witcher and Dragon Age the last two gens, so medieval fantasy hasn't quite gotten stale for me yet. The premise seems interesting, especially since I feel we largely witnessed the game's prologue at best. I like the FFTactics vibe, you can tell the team really loves those Matsuno collaborations from the FFXIV events. :lol:

I am not digging the combat though. Looks very DMC and I'm really tired of SE's attempts at Action-RPG combat. Looks like your character acquires summons that garner extra moves in his move-set, or more likely works like a style system similar to weapon changes in DMC. It's flashy but doesn't look like it has much substance to it. Not helped by the fact I watched the Demon's Souls remake trailer right after it, and that combat looks visceral in execution as opposed to the acrobatic pyrotechnics of this game. Why can't I just kill things in three hits anymore without having to be over-leveled? The lack of a party is concerning, but again, we've only watched the young version of the lead fight in the trailer, so there may be more to uncover gameplay-wise. I did notice in the first combat trailer, that there was a second soldier off to the side in the combat section, probably a friendly NPC fighter, but it may also be a signal of a party of some kind.

Overall, I'm mostly pleased by the fact I won't have to wait until the VIIIR is finished to get a new numbered installment. I at least have something to look forward to from SE, even if it's still a long ways off.

Fynn
09-17-2020, 10:05 AM
One neat thing I think is worth pointing out is that SE have apparently learned something. Even though it’ll be a while until we get info and Yoshida has said this won’t be out for a while, we at least got presented with an actual game with in-game cutscenes and battles that don’t look pre-rendered. It looks like they announced a game at a much later time than just the initial concept stage. So kudos for them for keeping this under wraps for a reasonable time. Hope this bodes well for the future

maybee
09-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Looks like the vanilla ice cream version of Final Fantasy. Very bland. Very done before. Looks like Square really wants to please the mid 30's-40's western straight male Reddit male sort of crowd. Wake me up when the characters look fun and creative again, and there's poc characters and female characters that are not NPC.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/S_imfxamGvM/hqdefault.jpg

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 11:06 AM
I am not digging the combat though. Looks very DMC and I'm really tired of SE's attempts at Action-RPG combat. Looks like your character acquires summons that garner extra moves in his move-set, or more likely works like a style system similar to weapon changes in DMC. It's flashy but doesn't look like it has much substance to it. Not helped by the fact I watched the Demon's Souls remake trailer right after it, and that combat looks visceral in execution as opposed to the acrobatic pyrotechnics of this game. Why can't I just kill things in three hits anymore without having to be over-leveled? The lack of a party is concerning,

Yep, those were my initial thoughts too. More worried about that than anything to do with the setting.

Fynn
09-17-2020, 11:12 AM
I know the main battle designed is Ryota Suzuki who worked on DMC apparently. So yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if this one turns out to be more of a character action game. Not saying that’s a bad thing since it could be cool and I’m more personally just concerned with the vibe and derivative qualities in general. But yeah, I think we can now safely say that Action FF is here to stay. Type-0, XV and VIIR could have been just a result of being Tabata/Nomura projects, with ARPGs being their forte, but now it’s pretty clear that this is the direction the series is definitely going. While I like turn-based systems as well, I don’t feel like FF generally needs it to be FF, but I am kinda bummed that the last semblance of turn-based combat in a mainline title turned out to be in the XIII trilogy :p

Shiva95
09-17-2020, 12:46 PM
I think we haven't seen enough to have a clear opinion about the game, but I'm glad we're getting a medieval setting since it's been a while. I hope they haven't announced it too early as usual, but I doubt it hehe :P

Aulayna
09-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Yeah personally I'm interested to see where it goes, and hearing that it's the bulk of the Heavensward team working on this has me with a tentative amount of hype.

This first trailer showed enough to pique interest without completely giving the game away and there's a lot of room for speculation on which way it could go.

Looking forward to learning more next year.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-17-2020, 03:02 PM
While I am happy that a new main Final Fantasy game is coming out, I am feeling disappointed that it is not coming to Xbox. Also don't tell me to get a PS5 since I am not interested in buying one.

Fox
09-17-2020, 03:41 PM
While I am happy that a new main Final Fantasy game is coming out, I am feeling disappointed that it is not coming to Xbox. Also don't tell me to get a PS5 since I am not interested in buying one.

As I understand it PS5 has 6 months full exclusivity and 12 months console exclusivity. So it can come to PC after 6 months and Xbox after a year.

That might not be accurate because Sony are desperately trying to hush it all up to make it appear like it's a full exclusive, but I do think it'll end up on both PC and Xbox at some point

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 04:00 PM
That might not be accurate because Sony are desperately trying to hush it all up to make it appear like it's a full exclusive, but I do think it'll end up on both PC and Xbox at some point

They've apparently done this on 2 separate games now. I think Demon's Souls was the other? I don't understand. Did they make an error in press releases? Or are they lying about their own policy to try and maximize preorders? Either is pretty dumb.

Fynn
09-17-2020, 04:04 PM
I think that now even if we have to wait, it’s safe to assume this will come to PC, as the only mainline FFs still not on PC are I and II. Which is kinda weird in its own right

krissy
09-17-2020, 04:06 PM

They've apparently done this on 2 separate games now. I think Demon's Souls was the other? I don't understand. Did they make an error in press releases? Or are they lying about their own policy to try and maximize preorders? Either is pretty dumb.

there was an error with demon's souls actually

Sony retracts Demon's Souls remake trailer, says PC mention was 'human error' https://buff.ly/3ms9B27

but like you said, it might be a long term ploy which i wouldn't put it past the company

never been a fan of 'exclusivity' anyway

Fynn
09-17-2020, 04:15 PM
That’s capitalism for ya :monster:

JJ Strife
09-17-2020, 04:59 PM
They've never used that as a strategy before though. So why now?

If they are just lying, it's obviously a strategy that only works a few times, before everyone just assumes that every Sony game is coming to PC a year later.

chionos
09-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Looks like the vanilla ice cream version of Final Fantasy. Very bland. Very done before. Looks like Square really wants to please the mid 30's-40's western straight male Reddit male sort of crowd. Wake me up when the characters look fun and creative again, and there's poc characters and female characters that are not NPC.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/S_imfxamGvM/hqdefault.jpg

As a mid 30’s-40’s western straight male Reddit male crowd type person, if they’re trying to target me (us) they’re way off. I want fun and creative characters, too. More Relms and Nanakis and Rydias and Beatrixes (Beatrices?) and Big Ogre Umaros and Freyas and...while I was typing this I was trying to think of poc in FF who aren’t overly stereotype-driven and I don’t know that there are any. In any case, I’m tired of the broody generic white male protagonist, too. Even nostalgia for earlier games that focused on those types doesn’t make me want to keep seeing that bland, uninspired (and un-inspiring) character over and over.

The people they think they’re marketing to don’t exist in the numbers or the way they think they do.

I forced myself through XIII and XV; I’ll force myself through this either way. I have at least a little hope with Yoshi-P producing, but I can’t drum up any hype over this showing. Multiple viewings of the trailer, and I can’t find a single thing to be excited about.
Also, something about the logo makes me uneasy or worried, but I’m not sure why.

krissy
09-17-2020, 06:06 PM
TEAM THREAD

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1306397794807226368

honestly any reference to vagrant story/fft makes me more optimistic lol
now i'm kind of into it more than i was after that trailer

Fynn
09-17-2020, 07:08 PM
Yeah knowing he’s an Ivalice fan is definitely comforting

Del Murder
09-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Like with others, I didn't see anything in the trailer that made my jaw drop but it was just an initial trailer. I don't mind going back to the medieval setting as long as they create some beautiful set pieces. My biggest gripe with Witcher 3 was that most of the world was so gritty and dirty (until Blood and Wine came out). I did think the summons were beautiful in the trailer.

I'm excited they are continuing the franchise and passing along the reigns to different directors. I'm sure I'll get it at some point... maybe a year after release once they patch it up and give us all the DLC story content for free. :p

I'm just hoping for some female and non-human playable characters!

Spuuky
09-17-2020, 08:39 PM
I didn't read this thread but my one thought is: what if they did NOT make every major character in every modern FF game a vaguely edgy, mostly generic dudebro type

Fynn
09-17-2020, 09:56 PM
The more I read about the people responsible, the more I’m warming up to this game. Like for all intents and purposes, this could be the FF I’d wanted, being a proper successor to XII, FFT, Vagrant Story, etc. Only thing that clashes with that for me is the battle system though.

But yeah, the trailer itself was still generic and uninspiring so the future ones better get their act together!

Rocket Edge
09-17-2020, 11:34 PM
I'm with some of you in here with real concerns about the gameplay. It seems like all we get from companies is action-RPG nowadays in this genre. I would've hoped SE would've been innovative with time-based instead of a DMC/Witcher spin off as Wolf mentioned. I feel like it's lost it's identity of what made it unique. Like we'll set this in The Continent and throw some chocobo's in there and slap a Final Fantasy name on it. The trailer gameplay mechanics I find a bit overwhelming and all over the place. The flashy stuff doesn't do it for me (I found the gameplay in KH3 almost unbearable), and there's a different type of strategising that you'd miss from Turn-based that simply isn't there with what's on offer.

Aside from that, the trailer is decent. I did think it was an expansion to FF14 at times and some work needs to be done to the voice acting to make it so it's not so wooden, but it was good nonetheless. The next trailer will tell a lot more obviously.

Lord Golbez
09-18-2020, 12:03 AM
I'm annoyed that they said the gameplay will basically be like FFXV. I'm not saying the story of XV is necessarily all that great, but I am saying the reason I stopped was that I was bored by the gameplay.

Del Murder
09-18-2020, 01:14 AM
If they use the FFVIIR system or some upgrade of it, I'd be pretty happy. SE does not have too many varieties of how they handle Action RPGs. Is there really that many ways in general to do it? You hit attack button, and occasionally use an ability or spell. Tried and true!

Spuuky
09-18-2020, 04:03 AM
If they use the FFVIIR system or some upgrade of it, I'd be pretty happy. SE does not have too many varieties of how they handle Action RPGs. Is there really that many ways in general to do it? You hit attack button, and occasionally use an ability or spell. Tried and true!Or at least, tried.

Lord Golbez
09-18-2020, 04:04 AM
Definitely. The FF7R system is way better than FF15, but I read something where they were saying they were basically using some form of 15's gameplay.

Wolf Kanno
09-18-2020, 04:54 AM
My biggest beef so far with the combat is how underwhelming magic looks outside of the "summon arms" used in combos, which just feels a bit lazy to me if we wish to describe it as magic. Those fire spells just looked generic and lacked any kind of impact. You're summoning a goddamn plasma ball, it should look like it's doing more than jabbing the monster with a possible sun burn.

The good thing about having a former DMC battle designer working on the combat is that it will likely control very nicely from out of the gate, unlike XV's combat that required some patching to fix. My issue is that knowing SE will want to market this to the every person of gamers, the combat will lack the challenge necessary to make full use of it. I fear it may turn out to be a KHII issue where yeah, the combat has a ton of variety and is incredibly deep, but required the game to release a super hard mode to make people even aware of it because the battle system was too overpowered for normal difficulty modes.

maybee
09-18-2020, 08:36 AM
I forced myself through XIII and XV; I’ll force myself through this either way. I have at least a little hope with Yoshi-P producing, but I can’t drum up any hype over this showing. Multiple viewings of the trailer, and I can’t find a single thing to be excited about.
Also, something about the logo makes me uneasy or worried, but I’m not sure why.

You shouldn't really force yourself to play a game that you don't really enjoy, not just with Final Fantasy, but with any video game. What I really liked about FFVIII & FFIX is that they had random NPCs that asked you if you were enjoying the game or not, if you say no, they suggest that you should stop and find something else that you'll be happier with more. I'm assuming that they put those NPCs in because they knew that some fans would be suffering with "this isn't FFVII", syndrome.

If you don't really enjoy a FF, I highly suggest waiting a few years and trying again then, as opinions can change over time.

But yes, Square has been really Westernboo lately, and it shows.

Fynn
09-18-2020, 09:00 AM
Ok but also like consider that YoshiP is actually close friends with Matsuno and is a big fan of all things Ivalice. So like, as generic as it looks on the surface, it might actually be really what fans have been asking for for years in terms of storytelling.

Wolf Kanno
09-18-2020, 09:02 AM
That's of course assuming you liked FFTactics or the Ivalice games. I mean I adore them, but I know some heathens don't.

Fynn
09-18-2020, 09:04 AM
From what I recall, Maybee has seen the light and accepted FFXII into her heart recently. Could be wrong though.

JJ Strife
09-18-2020, 01:10 PM
I'm annoyed that they said the gameplay will basically be like FFXV. I'm not saying the story of XV is necessarily all that great, but I am saying the reason I stopped was that I was bored by the gameplay.

Where have they said this? Well I'm not overly fussed on the XV gameplay either way, but at least it might mean there's a whole party of characters rather than just 1. I think that's a much bigger issue than whether it's more action or strategy based. Final Fantasy needs a party!

In any case, I’m tired of the broody generic white male protagonist, too. Even nostalgia for earlier games that focused on those types doesn’t make me want to keep seeing that bland, uninspired (and un-inspiring) character over and over.

The people they think they’re marketing to don’t exist in the numbers or the way they think they do.

Ok this is all kinds of silliness. You seriously think that just because you care about the skin colour of fictional characters, that therefore everyone else does too? And that japanese developers are therefore deliberately pitching a game at people who only want to see white characters?

Most people don't care about any of this in a fantasy game. It's far, far more likely that the japanese developers are in that category than the category of "lets make a game for the racists".

Fynn
09-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I’d be happy with XV-style combat because that would mean I can just relax and hold the button like the old man that I am instead of engaging in twitchy nonsense.

JJ Strife
09-18-2020, 01:37 PM
The main problem with the XV combat was that you could essentially buy immortality with gil. A problem they fixed in FF7R.

Fynn
09-18-2020, 01:42 PM
How could you do that? I mean yeah you could buy a crapload of Phoenix downs, but even they’ll run out if you’re not prepared

JJ Strife
09-18-2020, 04:37 PM
Yeah and in my fight with Omega Weapon, I nearly did run out of all healing items. The battle essentially did become a matter of how many you'd bought ahead of time (and how much advanced magic you'd created ahead of time).

The point just being that you could use them all instantly, so unless an attack kills all 3 characters at once, you can almost definitely survive it. FF7R fixed that by having the ATB gauge so you can't just revive 2 characters instantly.

Wolf Kanno
09-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Yeah, but there are others ways to cheat the system in VIIR like switching your party around to confuse the enemy aggro and it wasn't like VIIR didn't overload you with healing items constantly. So you could still become virtually immortal as long as you didn't get greedy with attacks.

JJ Strife
09-18-2020, 06:00 PM
Yeah but in XV, you could do like 2 phoenix downs, followed by 2 Elixirs, before the enemy could make a single attack. Nothing like that in 7R. It did require actual skill to keep your party alive through a tough fight.

Lord Golbez
09-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Yeah, but there are others ways to cheat the system in VIIR like switching your party around to confuse the enemy aggro and it wasn't like VIIR didn't overload you with healing items constantly. So you could still become virtually immortal as long as you didn't get greedy with attacks.

If you ask me, the fact that enemy aggro always followed whoever was the active party member was Square cheating and really kind of undermined things like having dedicated healers,, so if it opened up some exploitation, I say turnabout is fair play.

JJ Strife
09-18-2020, 07:48 PM
I don't think I even consciously noticed that in the game!

Fox
09-18-2020, 10:30 PM

I'm gonna need a source on that, what we saw in the trailer looked absolutely nothing like XV's combat. It did look like Devil May Cry; put Devil Trigger over the fight scenes and it would match pretty well.

If it does prove to be like that I'll probably be playing on Easy mode. DMC is fun and all but I cannot for the life of me do all the cool combos.

WarZidane
09-18-2020, 11:52 PM
Honestly I'd be okay with a sprawling RPG that has DMC combat.

Wolf Kanno
09-19-2020, 03:23 AM
I'm not dissing DMC gameplay, I do enjoy the series, but I'm worried SE will make them nerf the difficulty making this like KHII all over again. Course with VIIR having a hard mode, maybe SE is wising up to adding difficulty modes.

Lord Golbez
09-19-2020, 05:31 AM

I'm gonna need a source on that, what we saw in the trailer looked absolutely nothing like XV's combat. It did look like Devil May Cry; put Devil Trigger over the fight scenes and it would match pretty well.

If it does prove to be like that I'll probably be playing on Easy mode. DMC is fun and all but I cannot for the life of me do all the cool combos.

It was something I read when I was looking for the trailer. I'll see if I can find it again, bit I don't know the source offhand.

I don't think I even consciously noticed that in the game!

It's not very noticeable except in instances when the enemy's really tearing into you. Then it's painfully hard to ignore.

qwertysaur
09-19-2020, 05:34 AM
I am happy to see a focus on summons/eidolons.

maybee
09-19-2020, 10:26 AM
That's of course assuming you liked FFTactics or the Ivalice games. I mean I adore them, but I know some heathens don't.

♫ All my friends are heathens take it slow.

Wait for them to ask them who you know.

Please don't make any sudden moves

You don't know half of the abuse. ♫

From what I recall, Maybee has seen the light and accepted FFXII into her heart recently. Could be wrong though.

FFXII yeah, FFT still bores me to tears. Sorry Fynn.

Fynn
09-19-2020, 10:38 AM
That sounds like a you problem tbh

maybee
09-19-2020, 11:08 AM
That sounds like a you problem tbh

Somebody : I don't like FFT !

Fynn :

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EminentVainArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Mr Gashtacular
09-26-2020, 10:01 AM
as a rule i dont care about knights and stuff. i also dislike the weird generic fantasy character accent/language that is prevalent in the genre. just a bunch of dickheads walking around saying shit like "my liege" in an accent created for the stage.

so i feel im not going to care about the setting or the plot too much.

i thought the summons looked really good and i'm quite interested to see more of them, especially the "classics"

i only just bought a ps4 so im a filthy casual not in any rush for the next console - will probably do what i did with XV and grab it cheap in a few years.

Example
09-26-2020, 02:09 PM
Exclusive look behind the scenes of FFXVI's development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEiTPXeYV0

JJ Strife
09-27-2020, 03:33 PM
Lol, Yoshida:

"But if we released a pre-rendered trailer, they would say, ‘Alright, see you in 2035!’ or something. I’ve seen those kind of comments from America. "

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/final-fantasy-xvi-teaser-website-to-launch-in-late-october

Well done internet commenters, you're having an impact.

Lord Golbez
09-27-2020, 04:20 PM

FFXII yeah, FFT still bores me to tears. Sorry Fynn.

That's all backwards. FFT is the one with interesting characters with depth and a plot with real intrigue and well-earned story beats, rather than cardboard characters with a plot that's barely more than a bunch of jargon cobbled together and all weighty moments in the story being completely unearned and thus devoid of emotional impact.

Fynn
09-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Lol, Yoshida:

"But if we released a pre-rendered trailer, they would say, ‘Alright, see you in 2035!’ or something. I’ve seen those kind of comments from America. "

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/final-fantasy-xvi-teaser-website-to-launch-in-late-october

Well done internet commenters, you're having an impact.

Yoshida is definitely the producer we need, though not the one we deserve. In that we really didn’t deserve him.

maybee
09-28-2020, 03:34 AM
"See you in 2040 when FF16 comes out har har har !"

Meanwhile Yoshi looks like he's dying inside.

Wolf Kanno
09-28-2020, 04:53 AM
I'm honestly a little more excited now considering Yopshi-P said the trailer was a rush job and failed to have all the selling points in it. Makes me hyped for a future trailer. Too bad it will be in 2021 but I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

krissy
09-28-2020, 03:10 PM
cZEiTPXeYV0

JJ Strife
09-28-2020, 07:28 PM
That was posted literally 6 comments ago!

Fynn
09-28-2020, 07:35 PM
cZEiTPXeYV0

krissy
09-28-2020, 09:02 PM
omg have you guys seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEiTPXeYV0

Psychotic
09-29-2020, 02:15 PM
cZEiTPXeYV0

I'm Spartacus.

JJ Strife
09-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Oi!

chionos
10-03-2020, 11:29 PM
Accurate.

Twitter tells me it’s been in development for 4 years, and Yoshi-P & that killer Heavensward team could/would grind out a game faster than we’re used to from SE, so I’m pretty hopeful about how close this could be to release.

The trailer timing is directly related to PS5 releasing, yes? I mean, like Sony asked for a trailer and exclusive blah blah before Yoshi-P intended to release anything, right? Am I reading that wrong?

You shouldn't really force yourself to play a game that you don't really enjoy, not just with Final Fantasy, but with any video game. What I really liked about FFVIII & FFIX is that they had random NPCs that asked you if you were enjoying the game or not, if you say no, they suggest that you should stop and find something else that you'll be happier with more. I'm assuming that they put those NPCs in because they knew that some fans would be suffering with "this isn't FFVII", syndrome.

If you don't really enjoy a FF, I highly suggest waiting a few years and trying again then, as opinions can change over time.

I hear you. You’re probably right. I’m always hopeful for a payoff. I’ve played many games I didn’t enjoy at first but paid off beautifully in the end. Braid comes to mind.

But SE doesn’t have a Jonathan Blow, so yeah, you’re probably right.

JJ Strife
10-04-2020, 01:01 AM
I’ve played many games I didn’t enjoy at first but paid off beautifully in the end.

Same here. Some of my favourite games are ones that I hated for the first few hours, but just persevered because people had told me "it gets good soon". The whole Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro series for example. A lot of people had that same experience, where the gameplay just isn't clicking for you at all, but then you get to a certain point and its like a switch flips in your mind, and its suddenly awesome. Lol.

krissy
10-04-2020, 02:42 AM
dark fantasy (no, can't, kanye would sue)
final souls (honestly? it could work)

Lord Golbez
10-04-2020, 06:59 PM
I've definitely played games that I didn't initially like that I enjoyed more as I played further. However, I've played more games that I persevered on longer than I should have because of the opinion of others and still ultimately ended up hating the game. I've all but stopped listening to other people's opinions on games for that reason at least for games that are of types that I already know I don't like. Dark Souls pretty much falls in that category.

OliviaM
11-11-2020, 09:04 PM
I hope it will be great!!!;);)

Obsessed with Yang
01-10-2022, 11:10 AM
It was fantastic.

krissy
01-10-2022, 05:03 PM
it really was

have you all seen this

cZEiTPXeYV0

Obsessed with Yang
01-12-2022, 08:26 AM
This video was posted a couple of times here, I think everyone managed to watch it. I can't wait to see how it turned out, especially the graphics, as I am a graphic designer and always like to look at what is new. I really hope that I will have enough time to play as I waited a lot for it.