PDA

View Full Version : I miss logging on to an active EoFF.

jenovajunkie
04-30-2021, 10:47 PM
Times do change, and it's horrible that the things we love turn to dust. I remember the feeling I got when I connected with people outside my school.

poop

Connecting with people was great on this site, I met a lot of people and learned a lot about the internet, sort of, kind of forgotten now, but it was a great experience. I just want to say I miss that, and you crazy bunch.

EDIT: Probably didn't need that detail. -Del Murder

Del Murder
05-01-2021, 12:14 AM
I have also felt nostalgic about the old EoFF forum days and I have gone through some of the archive threads to remember the crazy times we had. I think a lot of people have just moved on, from EoFF or forums in general. Some of it is also momentum, our most active times where when people kept coming back to see what others were saying, and with not a lot of posts there is not a lot of incentive to check in regularly. Some of it is also technology based, as the forums run an old software that is not very easy to use from a mobile device. I know the EoFF Discord is pretty active, which is something.

At least EoFF is still here and will be for the foreseeable future. The old posts and memories are still here and a few dozen members still check in at least semi-regularly. For example, I've been keeping up with WK's SaGa posts and they have been great! To get some more activity back would require either a massive grassroots campaign of several members to start the snowball rolling or a significant overhaul of the entire site and forums to modernize and streamline it, both of which I (and most people) don't have a lot of time for!

qwertysaur
05-01-2021, 09:07 PM
I don't use mobile for the forums so it is a huge impact. Not at my personal computer as much as in the past. :shobon:

Iceglow
05-03-2021, 06:18 PM
I think in a way that the analogy I used a while back of the campfire is certainly true. And I know I'm one of those slowly fading away to the darkness. EOFF was a huge part of my life but as Del said - forums are a dying breed. I think there's a lot of things that contribute to this. Especially in a realm where discord servers are far more private and what you said is not permanently on show for the world. Which given the propensity for anyone who gets anywhere near the spotlight to have their life examined by certain types for "OMFG back in 2001 Del Murder made a joke that was perfectly acceptable by the standards of the day but is so "Insert here"-ist by the standards of today. We must ruin their life because of a comment from 20 years ago!".

That said more than 20 years of EOFF shows that this place has weathered the test of time far better than most of it's contemporaries.

Quindiana Jones
05-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Del Murder was a very outspoken xenophobe in 2001, it's true.

Spuuky
05-04-2021, 11:32 PM
Notice how you can't find one single trace of virulent racism in his post history now? This is proof that the administration is corrupt.

Quindiana Jones
05-05-2021, 02:32 PM
This one time Psychotic tried to coerce me into denying the Holocaust.

Psychotic
05-05-2021, 05:35 PM
This one time Psychotic tried to coerce me into denying the Holocaust.That was holograms. It's a bullshit technology that's going nowhere and you know it.

qwertysaur
05-06-2021, 01:12 AM
This one time Psychotic tried to coerce me into denying the Holocaust.That was holograms. It's a bulltrout technology that's going nowhere and you know it.
Seeing the word hologram reminds me of the joy of getting a holographic pokémon card in a booster pack as a kid.

jenovajunkie
05-06-2021, 01:47 AM
What about Augmented Reality, that technology could provide us with actual holograms!

Shlup
05-06-2021, 06:47 AM
Well now you've gone and made me miss being able to edit people's posts. When you mod on Reddit you have it ask them and wait. It's very inconvenient and provides little opportunity to abuse one's power for your own amusement.

qwertysaur
05-08-2021, 01:36 AM
What about Augmented Reality, that technology could provide us with actual holograms!
I've played with the hololens and it still needs a lot of work, a lot of the motion controls don't always work

jenovajunkie
05-12-2021, 02:10 AM
I've played with the hololens and it still needs a lot of work, a lot of the motion controls don't always work

I think we're on different meanings here, I am talking about those holograms like the ones that made the Tupac hologram at some concert, I think those can be implemented soon in peoples homes.

I don't know about interacting with the holograms, like what the hololens 2 is advertised to do.

Vyk
05-15-2021, 01:49 AM
I constantly check in, though I'm not always logged in. Either my phone or my computer. Though webpages in general aren't a huge part of my life anymore. But my life is in constant turmoil these days. I think once things calm down for me (I was homeless, bought a house, house turned out to be a lemon. I have really bizarre and random hours at work, so it's hard to focus on the house. Whenever I'm not working or sleeping, I'm fixing things in the house, or just trying to find my peace and decompress from life. Not a lot of time is spent putting together the law suit that I'm aiming to file against my seller, but someday... Plus I have a fiancee with health issues trying to get a job. So a lot of time is spent dealing with her job search or doctor visits on my days off, or just mowing the lawn and doing laundry and such) Man I wish life would calm down. But whenever I find a quiet moment, I'm happy to come back and participate in the many attempts that Wolf makes to keep the place active :) Still love you guys and will always be here in one way or another. Just made my fiancee a desktop gaming computer set-up (like got the desk and speakers and stuff, she bought the computer herself, but now she has a study corner) me next, when I can get a real desk and computer set-up, I'll definitely be a lot more active

One weird thing I've found is that there are quite a few ridiculously active "golden age" gaming and anime groups on facebook. I'm in a group dedicated to Xenogears, and only Xenogears, and there are multiple posts a day. It's weird how active it is. As well as the 30+ year olds groups for gaming and anime. Lots of great discussions. We need to tap into that energy somehow lol

Freya
05-16-2021, 04:04 PM
One weird thing I've found is that there are quite a few ridiculously active "golden age" gaming and anime groups on facebook. I'm in a group dedicated to Xenogears, and only Xenogears, and there are multiple posts a day. It's weird how active it is. As well as the 30+ year olds groups for gaming and anime. Lots of great discussions. We need to tap into that energy somehow lol
Sucks about your lemon house :(

But on this note, I think the difference is that FF is still going. So you would have old fans and new fans and many old fans don't like the new stuff and new fans don't like the old stuff. Then you got the MMOs to throw in too. It's a little harder to keep the FF fandom cohesive anymore.

jenovajunkie
05-21-2021, 11:36 PM
That's weird because when I was first introduced to FF, it was at 7. I then enjoyed the earlier versions as well, as a true gamer I like to see how things developed and how ideas were presented.

It's not about old and new, it's about appreciation (I find there are very few people whom enjoy all aspects of a franchise). The gaming community as a whole went through a shift in perspective, and it happens every so often.

Chris
05-26-2021, 02:34 PM
I miss the times. There’s no two-ways about it. 🥺

jenovajunkie
05-27-2021, 12:24 AM
There is though, I don't miss the times, I miss the feeling. I enjoy being smarter and able to understand and engage in conversations and issues that plague society today. You can say it was a simpler time, sure, but I don't miss those times.

With my brain injury I am constantly reminded of those times in great detail, the pain I felt, but that doesn't stop me from remembering the enjoyment. You can miss those times, but you can look toward new times and better experiences, unless you enjoy reminiscing over the past.

Loony BoB
05-30-2021, 01:18 AM
There is also the fact that, for people who got as invested as I did, you can be nostalgic for the times that you could come to EoFF and pour out all your problems and talk about the people in your life because nobody knew them. However, over time, EoFF became my life and EoFFErs became those people that my life interactions were with, so talking about my problems was airing my dirty laundry in public and I lost that kind of feeling that I could be open here. And that is a shame, but it is also an inevitability.

Thankfully I still love this place, even after all the years, and I still get nice feelings when I am able to stumble into a thread such as this.

Christmas
06-22-2021, 11:49 AM
If you log in like once a year, the place is actually very active with all the new things. :bigsmile:

Christmas
03-10-2022, 07:04 AM
See what I mean? What an active community! :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
03-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Oof, okay, this one stings.

Shauna
03-10-2022, 02:57 PM
This was a critical hit

Del Murder
03-11-2022, 07:38 PM
I'm tempted to delete these last three posts and just make this thread Christmas posting once per year for the rest of time.

Christmas
03-11-2022, 10:59 PM
With a little perseverance, we got three new posts (excluding mine) in a couple of days! The members here are pretty active, maybe boomers take a year to read and another year to post. Spare a thoughts for the elderlies here! :bigsmile:

Christmas
09-28-2022, 01:20 PM
It is getting better half a year later! :bigsmile: