PDA

View Full Version : Good Games that are Good but you just do not like.

Quindiana Jones
08-11-2021, 02:55 PM
Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I keep going back to it and trying to play it. Every single time I do I go "oh wow, this is such a well made game. Visually excellent in a way that will always look good, the interwoven mechanics are so cool and well implemented, love the open world" but I just really don't like it very much and inevitably turn it off after an hour or so.

RDR2 is similar, though I would disagree that it is a Good Game that is Good, so probably doesn't apply here.

cheesesteak
08-11-2021, 10:00 PM
"My respect for the game outweighed my enjoyment of the game", a line I steal from The Cardboard Herald. This definitely applies frequently for me for board games. Vidoe games? hmm... RE7 the first to come to mind, but I can think of more.

Resident Evil 7 (don't like the gunplay. And I know, it allegedly gets better w/ different guns, but I'm impatient)
Resident Evil 4 (to be fair, I played this about 10 years after its release. It did not age well, imo)
Doom Eternal (tho I'd argue its systems actually AREN'T good, relative to its genre. But it was a well-crafted game overall)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (I didn't like the change to farm-forts-to-make-bosses-weaker system, and didn't like the naval system)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (crpg's just aren't my thing, regardless if the combat is turn-based or not)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (I generally don't like SF combo systems and execution)

Del Murder
08-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Hollow Knight. I love Metroidvania and the game is beautifully done but the difficulty was too punishing for me and I really do not like the Dark Souls-like death mechanics in games.

Jinx
08-12-2021, 06:06 PM
Shadow of the Colossus. I get what it does and why it does it, and I agree that it's beautiful, but it is just so goddamn boring to me. Even watching people who are passionate about the game play it is boring to me.

Sarisa
08-12-2021, 08:44 PM
Steins; Gate. Well regarded as one of the best visual novels of all time (I love VNs), but I just cannot force myself to finish it. The game looks & feels dated and everyone's eyes are weird. I've heard they remade the game using artwork from the anime (which I have not seen) but I also heard it cut content from the original and I really don't want to pay again for a game I probably still won't enjoy. Part of me thinks I should just watch the anime to motivate myself to finish, the other part of me thinks that would make sure I never do since I'd have seen the story already.

Example
08-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Kingdom Hearts. I respect what it is and I understand why people love it, I just don't connect with it anymore. The only ones I really liked were 1, 2 and 3, not a fan of any of the handheld spinoffs.

Also any Resident Evil except 4, fighting games in general except Tekken and Soul Blade/Calibur. and MMORPGs in general.

Dr. Acula
08-13-2021, 06:42 AM
I guess Dragon's Dogma? I just didn't enjoy it.

Quindiana Jones
08-16-2021, 07:05 PM
I guess Dragon's Dogma? I just didn't enjoy it.

We're not friends anymore.

Wolf Kanno
08-16-2021, 09:05 PM
Mass Effect comes to mind if the Discord channel is anything to go by. Like it was okay and I recognize why people would love it but, I found it sort of ho hum honestly. Like after finishing it, I didn't really feel the need to go back.

Super Mario Galaxy was another. Solid game, but just didn't work for me for some reason. Like every aspect of the game kind of bothered me and I can't exactly put my finger on why.

I'm sure there are more I can think of...

Ayen
08-17-2021, 12:38 AM
A Link to the Past. Good game, but I just don't care for it. Doesn't help that I can't get pass the first dungeon in that game. I'm just no good at puzzle based games.

Freya
08-18-2021, 04:24 AM
Mass Effect comes to mind if the Discord channel is anything to go by. Like it was okay and I recognize why people would love it but, I found it sort of ho hum honestly. Like after finishing it, I didn't really feel the need to go back.

It's cause I can play as a female badass when I couldn't very often before. honestly.

I just have no desire to play the Persona games :gator:

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2021, 12:56 AM

It's cause I can play as a female badass when I couldn't very often before. honestly.

I just have no desire to play the Persona games :gator:

Totally fair on the ME front. I'm just not a fan of the combat and I find the choice system strangely underwhelming in hindsight.

I have a very ambivalent relationship with Persona, but I think that's largely because of the fanbase.

Fynn
08-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Ocarina of Time for me. I recognize it was groundbreaking and everything but at this point it’s the Zelda I pretty much like the least with the exception of Zelda II

Spuuky
08-24-2021, 02:02 AM
OoT is the most overrated video game of all time though, fight me All Gamefaqs Posters

Bubba
08-24-2021, 10:36 PM
Breath of the Wild
The Witcher 3
Skyrim

No qualms with anyone who loves these games, they just didn’t click with me.

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2021, 12:43 AM
FFVII Remake is another one from recent memory. Ignoring the controversial story elements, most people I've talked to love the gameplay side of things, but I just wasn't a fan. They work, but I just don't like those types of battle mechanics or quest systems.

Dr. Acula
08-25-2021, 12:50 AM
FFVII Remake is another one from recent memory. Ignoring the controversial story elements, most people I've talked to love the gameplay side of things, but I just wasn't a fan. They work, but I just don't like those types of battle mechanics or quest systems.

Yeah, I'm in two minds about this one too. There were times when I enjoyed it and times when I really didn't.

Quindiana Jones
08-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Another one: Red Dead Redemption 2. Eugh. Fucking Rockstar need a desperate intervention in their game design.

cheesesteak
08-27-2021, 02:57 AM
Another one: Red Dead Redemption 2. Eugh. smurfing Rockstar need a desperate intervention in their game design.
Being just 2 hours into the game, this is what I'm afraid of. The ppl I know who played (and finished) it definitely had mixed feelings. But the conclusion is that it's still worth the experience.

Quindiana Jones
08-27-2021, 02:59 AM
NakeyJakey has a video up that basically sums up my feelings perfectly. You just constantly have a choke chain around your neck that daddy R* pulls on any time you try to do fucking anything.

krissy
12-17-2021, 04:49 PM
i dont think you personally found that

WarZidane
12-19-2021, 01:20 AM
Wow I didn't post in this thread.

Mario Odyssey, pretty much every R* game since San Andreas, pretty much every game from Valve (except the first Portal).

Loony BoB
12-21-2021, 03:47 PM
BotW gets a bit samey for me after a while, so I can appreciate where you're coming from, Quin.

I'm generally fairly easily entertained, which I consider a lucky trait to have, but there are some games that I just couldn't get into. I'm not sure if they were considered Good Games in some objective fashion, though.

Walking sims are hard to call objectively good games by their very nature, but recently I played Sunlight after hearing glowing reviews of it and I thought it was one of the least interesting Walking Sims ever. I also was not impressed with Dear Esther at all.

If it wasn't for the multiplayer aspects of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I'd call it a trash version of Stardew Valley, all graphics no gameplay. I still enjoyed the game but looking back I was just interested in collecting things and the gameplay was dull.

Newer Pokémon games get very tiring after a while for me. They never capture the amazing "collect them all" nature of the original because the idea of catching them all requires so much trading/transferring between games that it's absurd.

I'm generally not into PVP-only games, so that stuff tires for me very quickly.

Borderlands 3, any skater game, most rhythm/dance games, Monopoly, Baldur's Gate. What little I played of Fallout 3 didn't hold my interest either, I don't find post-apocalyptic games to be very visually pleasing and this often impacts my ability to enjoy a game.

Christmas
03-10-2022, 06:38 AM
I played the original witcher. I can't really stand that guy screwing anything he sees on his adventures :(

Dr. Acula
03-10-2022, 07:19 AM
I played the original witcher. I can't really stand that guy screwing anything he sees on his adventures :(

And that first game is has super weird controls, too.

Quindiana Jones
03-10-2022, 02:30 PM
Controversial opinion, maybe, but CDPR gameplay is frequently not that great.

Dr. Acula
03-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Controversial opinion, maybe, but CDPR gameplay is frequently not that great.

How dare

(agreed)

Badr Boodai
04-21-2022, 09:36 PM
All Zelda games, I never managed to have fun in this game. I have always loved WoW. That (https://leprestore.com/wow-us/) is another pair of shoes!
Oh c'mon ) Zelda series is gorgeous! ;)

At the moment I am into Eden Ring. Since I can't beat the final boss in Elden Ring, I'm going around exploring the lands trying discover something I've missed on my journey so far. Upgrading weapons, gear and character. Since I respecced to a dex-arc I've been having lots of fun. I love Regen builds, so I'm power stancing super fast daggers (Reduvia and Misericord) and together they have around 180 blood build up, just annihilating everything. Coupled with talismans for regaining health and Rykards rune I barely have to use my flasks other than boss fights. I also have Morgotts Cursed Sword which do tons of stagger poise for great knockdown effect. Total bad ass right now.

tidus79
04-21-2022, 10:37 PM
I played Zelda Botw ten hours and then dropped :lol:

I still prefer classics like Ocarina and Majora's Mask ;)

Galuf
04-21-2022, 10:53 PM
After replaying it on the Legendary Edition, have to say I'm not a big fan of Mass Effect 1. When I was a youngling i enjoyed it, it has the same issue FF 7 has i think which is that it's great the first time but repeat playthroughs are bogged down with a lot of world building/story stuff. Also I really hate the copy pasted dungeons. The other 2 games are great though.

Debatebly FFXV, although I'd argue it's not that good a game which is why i never finished it, still people like it and maybe it's gotten better with DLC. (games should be good and complete enough outside the box sorry)

Tentatively the Dragon Quest games, I've played the first couple a bit but i couldn't get into them. Actually let me just broaden that to any turn based RPG that is in the first person, ironically it actually takes me out of the game rather than get me immersed, that's because I like to immerse myself with the characters in the game rather than ME being the character in the game. Which includes the big one, Earthbound.

Dunno how good these are considered but since I don't really like playing 8 bit games too much: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Mario Bros. I've completed both Zeldas, think zelda 2 was better than 1 but i'd sooner replay 1 than 2. Metroid is one of my all time fav game series but the first 2 are too archaic for me, both games remakes are pretty great though!. Super mario bros, not too big on platformers and i couldnt get into ANY mario game, I plan on giving it a solid try one day though!.

Finally since this is getting too long: Sonic 1, Sonic is the only platformer I like, but the first one is too slow and lacks a lot of staples and refinement the later games brung still I acknowledge it must be good.

Christmas
04-21-2022, 11:53 PM
Somehow from all the posts, nostalgic values play quite an important part in affecting one's view of a game. :bigsmile: