PDA

View Full Version : Gravestone theory's

theundeadhero
04-27-2002, 12:40 AM
In final fantasy one, theres the one gravestone that says Erdrick on it instead of saying this is a tombstone. It's in Elfland if I remember right. Whats your theory on why they did this. I always assumed square was trying to make a statement, saying their final fantasy series would end the dragon warrior series ( even though they both had only one game out at the time) since the ancient hero in that game is named Erdrick.

Paul Mate
04-27-2002, 01:07 AM
Makes sense. I read somewhere that in Dragon Warrior, there is a gravestone that says "here lies Link"

And we all know Link is from the Zelda series.

I can't confirm that as the truth though since i only read about it.. I haven't actually played Dragon Warrior.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2002, 01:13 AM
You're mixed up, Paul Mate. In the Japanese version of FFI, Erdrick's gravestone says, "Here lies Link" instead. The purpose is the same; Square was just attacking the Zelda series instead of the Dragon Quest series.

Paul Mate
04-27-2002, 01:43 AM
Oh right... yeah.. ok that makes sense ^_^ I knew I'd read something about Link somewhere..

theundeadhero
04-27-2002, 01:47 AM
any guesses as to why they made the change from Link to Erdrick?

Spuuky
04-27-2002, 02:55 AM
Dragon Warrior was seen as a larger threat in America, probably, since it was amazingly popular. The subsequent Dragon Warrior games released in America (2-4) were all good games, too, but never managed to get anywhere. It really did sort of die, then. Dragon Quest 5 and 6 were never transferred over, and the Final Fantasy SNES games won. Dragon Quest is far too popular in Japan to even hope to destroy, much like Link is, here, I think. That's my guess.

Garland
04-28-2003, 04:49 AM
I figured that in Japan they picked link because he was a little elf in a green suit. Elfland is wholly populated by Link clones. I have no idea why this clever idea was changed for US audiences.

Fredde
04-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, Erdrick is dead when Dragon Warrior starts anyway, so maybe it isn't that mean.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Reviving year-since-dead threads, let's not.