PDA

View Full Version : Pop-Ups

Killy
04-27-2002, 12:54 AM
I dont know wich forum I should put this in, but...
Recently, theres been Way too many pop-ups, I know you need publicity to pay for the hosting and the bandwith but, do you have to put such agressive Pop-ups. If you close them, They reappear, if you minimize them, they pop-up again. I dont like to complain, but if youre need money that bad, tell us and youll get money from a lot of people (Even I will contribute)

If you can do something for it, It will be really appreciated but most of us!

[/complaining]

The Man
04-27-2002, 12:57 AM
I agree that the pop-ups are somewhat irritating, but I'm not sure how effective asking members to contribute money would be. I live with 'em, and I spend tons of time posting. Meh. *checks posts per day count*

I'd also like to point out the greatness of the Windows option not to group application windows. Right-clicking on the offending windows in the taskbar, then clicking "Close" is generally enough to do the trick for me. Generally, I manage to eliminate them before they get on my nerves.

At any rate, this belongs in the Feedback Forum.

Killy
04-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Maybe an admin will see this!
THat was my goal and I think it belongs in GC because almost nobody goes to the Feedback Forum

The Man
04-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Black Ninja
THat was my goal and I think it belongs in GC because almost nobody goes to the Feedback ForumThat's a rather poor reason to place it in GC. An administrator or a moderator is likely to move it anyway, and at any rate, the administrators and moderators do read the Feedback Forum. They're the ones who count the most for this issue.

I, for one, go to the Feedback Forum whenever I see new posts. I like voicing my opinion about the site, and I like to see what other people think as well.

I don't mind the popups as long as they don't give me stupid dialog boxes like "Do you want to trust content from Gator Corporation?" (Gator = spyware, so don't) or "Do you want to make page x your homepage?" I feel that's excessive, and I never change my homepage if a dialog box asks me to do so, since lots of other stupid crap that slows down my computer is likely to get installed. I also don't like it when two pop-ups pop up when I load one page, as predictability is nice and two pop-ups for every loading seems rather excessive.

I think perhaps a system should be instituted based on getting fewer pop-ups if you view and post more frequently, as I spend hours surfing and posting through various pages on this site on many days and today I have viewed (and closed) quite literally hundreds of pop-ups. I'm not disgruntled about it, though; the site has to make its money. You're not going to make money if you don't advertise, and pop-up ads probably do bring in a lot more revenue than normal banner ads.

Peace
The Man

mog42
04-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Just to let you know, there are programs you can download that block pop up windows. I haven't had to close a single unwanted window since I installed it. On the subject of annoying popup message dialogs, don't you hate the ones with bad grammar? Here are some examples:

"Data the plugin requested, did not download successfuly" Don't separate a the subject and the verb with a comma!

"Right click only. If the link don't work, try again later. they are updated daily" That should be doesn't, since link is a singular noun.

Leeza
04-27-2002, 01:31 AM
I downloaded the Pop-up Stopper from www.panicware.com and it eliminated almost all of my pop-ups.

Agent Proto
04-27-2002, 01:52 AM
I agree that the pop-ups are annoying, but that is the price we pay for having our server on an unreliable service like Gamesquad. I, too, have pop-up stopper and it does an effective job of preventing pop-ups. *nods*

Killy
04-27-2002, 02:38 AM
Can some admin tell me to who I should send money to help you get rid of these Annoying pop-ups?

How much do you need anyway, I know im not the only one willing to donate

Ric
04-27-2002, 03:11 PM
They are getting frigin annoying now, if there is something we can do to get rid of them i'm in.

Rainecloud
04-27-2002, 03:17 PM
The Pop-Up advertisements here at EoFF are beginning to get to me. In fact, they ruin my whole EoFF posting experience, which is a great shame. Unfortunately, that's life - if you want a decent server, you have to put up with the consequences. Of course, there are great servers out there that don't require Pop-Up ads to be displayed, but these servers are very expensive.

Ah well, never mind.

Just go here (http://software.xfx.net/utilities/popupkiller/) if the ads are driving you completely insane.

Citizen Bleys
04-27-2002, 03:20 PM
I use WebWasher.

And yes, this belongs in Feedback.

Killy
04-28-2002, 02:35 AM
So, whos the one paying for the server, ill send my money to him!

The Man
04-28-2002, 04:57 AM
As it was GameSquad's decision to unleash the pop-up ads on us, complaining to the EoFF staff about it won't help you at all, and I don't think you'll be able to annihilate the pop-ups by sending the staff money.

Peace
The Man

Loony BoB
04-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Absoloutely correct. But I've revived this thread (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14690) for added convenience. If you have any good pop up stoppers, or wish to know where they are, that's the place to go. =)

Killy
04-28-2002, 04:44 PM
I tought sending money to someone so they could pay Gamesquad for less Pop-Ups

The Man
04-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Black Ninja
I tought sending money to someone so they could pay Gamesquad for less Pop-Ups It's a nice idea, but I doubt it'd work. Do you have any idea how many pop-up ads users view on a daily basis on EoFF? I swear I must have closed at least 800 pop-up ads in the past twenty-four hours alone. Admittedly, I'm a more obsessive user than most people, but regardless, each time you click on a link or hit the back button, one, even two pop-up ads sometimes show up.

Now think how much money that translates to.

I don't think any user has enough money to compensate for that, and I doubt that GameSquad would do it forever unless we gave them far more money than it was worth. I wouldn't be willing to pay them for anything except annihilating the pop-up ads forever, and honestly, I wouldn't even support giving them the pleasure of receiving our money to make them stop the pop-up madness. That would bloat up their egos more.

Besides, if GS does this to EoFF, they probably do it to other sites, too. They'd probably want us to pay for those sites as well. I really don't know what the financial situation is, but it seems hopeless.

I don't like what GameSquad has done to our favorite forum, but I live with it. I just right-click on the offending window icons as soon as they show up. And then, with a few exceptions, they're gone before I even have to view their contents. The pesky few others get the X-treatment, and they're gone quickly, as well.

There are more important things to worry about, I feel. If it really bothers you that much, get one of those pop-up killer programs. I honestly try not to let it get to me. It's better than the alternative. At least we still have the forums.

Peace
The Man