PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert images to a different format?

Bahamut2000X
05-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Ok I have just gotten Phto shop and well I only have gif images for it and well photo shop won't let me use gifs so I need to convert them. Can anyone help me on this. I really need help for it.

crono_logical
05-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Um, Photoshop should be able to read and write GIFs, at least mine does :p If they're images you got off the net, it's possible they're partially downloaded or corrupted - IE would still show as much as possible but Photoshop would reject them completely.

There's always MSPaint (comes with Windows) or MS Photoshop (comes with MS Office '97 and later), you could use either to convert to bitmaps - photoshop shouldn't have any problem reading those then, unless something's wrong with Photoshop itself. :)

The Man
05-10-2002, 10:10 PM
That’s weird; Photoshop should certainly read GIF images. You should probably convert the images you open to RGB color if you want to do any actual editing to them, and you’ll need to turn them back into indexed color if you want to save them as GIFs again. This could be confusing; ask if so.

Photoshop doesn’t handle animated GIFs, however; for those, you should use ImageReady, which should be bundled with Photoshop, at least if you have a recent version.

What, exactly, do you mean by “Photoshop won’t let me use GIFs”? Also, which version of Photoshop are you using? If you could be somehow more specific, I think I’d be able to help you more.

Edit: As usual, crono_logical beat me to answering. Oh well. The animation thing could be discouraging, and that might have been what Bahamut2000X was referring to...

Peace
The Man

Bahamut2000X
05-10-2002, 10:14 PM
I have photo shop 6. But I might just need to mention I am a idiot and know NOTHING about computers. But ummmm I think I will try something of what you said to what I understand or just mess around with it.

crono_logical
05-10-2002, 10:27 PM
What you could do to test the program is make a simple new picture in Photoshop, maybe with one or two shapes on it, and try to save it as a GIF - don't worry about the program complaining about info. being lost when you save, it'll do that for any format other than Photoshops own special one. Then restart Photoshop, and try to open that GIF you just created and see if it works. If it doesn't, I can only guess that something is wrong with Photoshop :p

Bahamut2000X
05-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Well I understood the word what in that last post. But anyway maybe I have the wrong program for the job. What I am trying to do is make a webcomic in a style somewhat like 8 bit theater. And it has just come to my attention that paint shop exsists. So what do you suggest I get for this job?