PDA

View Full Version : RM2K thread *@______@*

Mikztsu
05-12-2002, 08:34 PM
I decided to make this thread for all of us who are using RPG maker. We could use this thread for everything related to this program. You can ask help (which I will probably ask heaps), you can give tips, you can share your sprites, tiles, random discussion...anything really you can imagine.
I could start asking how experienced you are with RM2K? How many games you have created? I personally downloaded this just few days ago and am still in learning process. I guess I get switches and variables pretty well now, and am starting EoFF based RPG.

I actually need help right away: I love making cutscenes, flashbacks, dream sections and stuff like that carries the story entertainigly. I'm having problems with "move section thing". Sometimes when I make character to move (for example): Step left, step up, step up, step right, step up, face left, face right, face down, the problems is that character might just take one step left or something. It so often seems to ignore how it's supposed to move.*_;

*is too lazy to register some RPG Maker Forum* I trust I can get all I need here in EoFF.;)

Nait
05-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Yes, and I too have thought of using this nice little tool :)

Even though it was translated by a Russian -_- *has ONE prejudice*

Well, it's Japanese, and that's enough to convince me that it's not THAT horrible :P

Though it IS simple -_-

Mikztsu
05-12-2002, 08:50 PM
I have another question, just curious: Let's say I create this game. I have a cd-burner. Can I with help of some program make this game to work with Playstation?

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Here's a noodle scratcher.....
I'm trying to make it so that when you input a passcode into a computer a door opens up across the room, but the only probabelm is I dont know how to do such a thing.... it's probably really really basic, but I have a less-than-basic mind.

BlkKnight
05-12-2002, 11:26 PM
Mik: I dont't think the game you make will work on a Playstation.

Spiff: Well I fielded your question on AIM, but I'll post out conversation for anyone else that wants to see the answer.

BlkKnight1007: First, go into the event you want to handle the password
BlkKnight1007: (you know how to do that right?)

RedHotChiliAZ: Yes
BlkKnight1007: ok
BlkKnight1007: go to the point in the event script where you want the password to be entered, and double click so you get the event commands window
BlkKnight1007: Then, go to tab 1, and select "input number" (left side, 5th one down)
RedHotChiliAZ: Alright, Ive gotten that far...
BlkKnight1007: ok, now select the number of digits you want your passcode to be (should be simple). Then select the variable you want the code to be stored in (just pick a blank one and give it a name). Once you're done, OK everything back to the event editor window
BlkKnight1007: Now for part 2, having the event recognize your password
BlkKnight1007: Figure out everything?
RedHotChiliAZ: Up to this point, yes
BlkKnight1007: ok, just let me know so I can keep going
BlkKnight1007: OK, now for your next command, go to page 3 and select "fork command" (right side, 5th down)
RedHotChiliAZ: Alright, keep going
BlkKnight1007: Here, select the variable option, select your variable, under set put in the password, and make sure the last "sub-option" reads same. Hit OK and you're done
RedHotChiliAZ: Done
BlkKnight1007: Then under the first fork, you put all the events for if the password is correct and under "else" you put all the events for if the password is incorrect
RedHotChiliAZ: Coo! Thanks!
BlkKnight1007: np
RedHotChiliAZ: Could you beta teat the game fer me, once I further along? It's gonna be a doozy!
BlkKnight1007: sure
RedHotChiliAZ: Excellent, and thanks for your time
BlkKnight1007: You're welcome. Now to go finish my RPG...I have this strange feeling that I'm going to start to get swamped with people asking questions
RedHotChiliAZ: Heh
BlkKnight1007: I'm aiming to get this thing done by the end of the month

Bahamut2000X
05-12-2002, 11:34 PM
Well I too like you Mik am making a EoFF based RPG.

Ummm anyway onto the questions. I need help in making sprites that RM will actually let me use. Everything I get is in the wrong format or something so I need help with some of this stuff. What I need is right now a crystal sprite that looks signicant and powerful and such.

And also a sprite that looks like Enrike (the guy that's a fist fighter when you start out a game and is one of the default heros.) I need one of those that looks darker with more of a evil touch.

Also what do variables do and also how do I get the hero to dissapear so you can't control him for cut scenes or something.

Spatvark
05-13-2002, 12:15 AM
To make the hero disappear, use the Set Hero Transparency event and set it to transparent. This will make him disappear... then, when you want him back, use the same event but set it to visible or what ever the second command is.

As for the graphics, make your own or download them from links on the RM2K site...

Now, for my problems XD

1) My character won't move... I've been testing my charcter at the beginning of the game but he won't move. Using the event I listed above, I made him invisible at the beginning so he couldn't be seen in the intro but when he reappears he won't move... I can't understand why. He teleports into the map into an open space, there is nothing in the square he's standing in... he reappears via the transparency event as an auto-start linking into a change switch...

2) I want the screen to start from mystery point A and then pan to where my character starts off on the screen, but I can't work out how to do it. Is it even possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-13-2002, 12:31 AM
Spatvark: 1) The Chipsets you are trying to walk on might be set so that they are classified, i guess, as a wall. Go to Data editor or something (Im not on the same computer as my RPGMaker so I dont know exact words, help?) Then go to "Chipsets" then find the atual Chip and change it from X to O. This will make it possible for you to walk on it.

2) Yes Screen Pans are possible. Just make an even and find the Event Command called "Screen Pan" I haven't made a screen pan yet so I can't give you more info. Sorry.

Here's some more questions I forgot to ask BlkKnight....
1)After Im done with the whole Password thing, how to I make a door open on the other side of the room?
2)I've made an opening scene and its pretty nifty. It's set to Auto Start so it goes right when you start the game. However, when the scene is done (And it's pretty lengthy) It starts all over again! Why?!? *explodes trying to figure it out*

Spatvark
05-13-2002, 12:53 AM
For number two, you need to add a command at the end of the intro event called a change switch command. Select a switch to change to an then create a new page in that event and in the event conditons, set the switch to the one you changed the first page to and voila, it's done..

I'll simplify that:

1) Select the intro event and open it
2) Add an Event Command called Change Switch
3) Give it a name you can easily remember, e.g. End Intro
4) Create a new page in the same event
5) On the new page, check the first switch box in the Event Commands
6) Select the End Intro switch
7) Click OK
8) Test it and it should work fine

As for my problems, it's a normal floor tile so he should be able to walk on it and as for the panning, all pans start from the hero's position so meh...

BlkKnight
05-13-2002, 03:15 AM
Spiff: First of all, the easiest way to maintain a sequence of events within a dungeon is to have one variable dedicated to each dungeon. So for your password door, when you make an event that only happens once, after it completes you increment this counter variable by 1 through the change variable command (note that all variables start at zero). So for your password door, if the value is the proper one, you increment this dungeon counter by one. Then for the door that opens, you add a new page to the event. In this new page you select the variable condition and select the proper variable and the value that corresponds with what the password event incremented to (note that you should increment variables by set just to make sure things work properly) after you have the proper variable set up, you then change what's displayed to the blank space on the chipset (usually on the chipset1 palette and the first space). Then add in your move events and you're done.

Hope this makes sense

HOOTERS
05-13-2002, 03:32 AM
Spatvark - 2)To start the screen pan from a mystery point, you could change the hero just for that scene.

i.e. make a character in the database (itdoesnt matter what graphic) and make them transparent. Now before you teleport to the scene with the pan, change you hero to the transparent character (change party - remove hero, change party - add hero).
Now just teleport the transparent character to the spot where you want to start the pan and pan to an event with the graphic of your hero. Then when you want to move just swap the heros around again.

Im fairly new to RPG maker as well but I muck around with this stuff all the time with my RPG so I hope Ive helped.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-13-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by BlkKnight

Hope this makes sense

Accualy, it didn't... *is a retard* could you dumb it down a little please?

Mikztsu
05-13-2002, 02:37 PM
*sigh* So anyone can't help in that move event thing I mentioned in my first post? I've even tried to put "wait a moment" between every move, doesn't help.=\

Nait
05-13-2002, 03:19 PM
I'll see to it, Mik :)

HOOTERS
05-14-2002, 12:32 AM
They might not move the whole distance because you've got something happenning right after the movement. Normally whatever youve got in the event right after the movement wont wait for the movement to finish.

eg: If youve got an old grannie moving across the screen and you have her saying something after it, the message box will come up as soon as she starts moving. You need to select the "wait" option and set it for a number of seconds. (Not the "wait a moment" command, that will only affect the object moving, not the whole event).

So in case ive confused you, just select the wait command after the movemnt from the list of events thing.

I dont know if Ive helped you cos I dont know the problem properly but blkknight may be able to help you.

BlkKnight
05-14-2002, 12:58 AM
You explained it correctly. If a scripted movement is getting cut off, you need to put a wait command after the move command. It will take some trial and error to get the proper amount of wait time though.

Spiff: Here's a clear cut way

1) go into the correct password fork
2) add the event "Change variable"
3) select a new variable and name it
4) increment the variable by one (i.e. have it on set and 1)
5) go to the door event
6) click create new page
7) check the variable check box and select the new variable and set the value to 1
8) make sure that it's representing a blank space
9) add any teleportation if nessecary

This variable can be reused for future events in the dungeon (I recomend having one of these variables for each dungeon you do.) You can make anyone disapear this way.

Mikztsu
05-14-2002, 05:39 AM
Thanks Hootenanny, that solved MANY things actually.=)

BatChao
05-14-2002, 07:38 AM
Another thing to watch out for when using the 'move event' command is to make sure that the characters aren't moving faster than they should be. If they are, it sometimes looks like the only do the last movement, when really they did em all, but so fast you couldn't see it. Heh. Had that happen to me a couple times.

Red Wizard
05-14-2002, 09:07 PM
This is unrelated to technical help, but can anyone give me some good sites to go to for RM2k stuff. Most of the links I used to have are dead as a doornail.

Nait
05-15-2002, 06:25 AM
Just look for links and stuff on any RM2K site you can find with google xD There's ALOT of stuff out there.

Shoeberto
05-16-2002, 12:26 AM
<font color="#009999">
My RM2k has gotten really glitchey -_-
I set an enemy's HP to 500, and it dies after about 3 hits from level 5 unarmed characters. I have no clue what happens. I thought it might have to do with the fact that it's a monster after a transformation, but that doesn't have anything to do with it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it dun work. Help?

BlkKnight
05-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Are you sure that you're attacks just are that powerful to defeat it? If not make sure there's nothing going on that inflicts the "normal" status. That's instant death. Next time you're online, I could explain an easy way to do transformations (it does not use that transform function, which is probably what's doing it.)

Shoeberto
05-16-2002, 11:13 PM
<font color="#009999">
The crazy thing is that the characters are unarmed. They're doing generally 5-10 damage, where the enemy has 500 HP. And when I used the transformation in my first game, I never encountered problems like this O_o

HOOTERS
05-18-2002, 05:35 AM
I dont know whats wrong but maybe you should try downloading the whole thing again from somewhere another website.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-20-2002, 12:20 AM
Okay, new problemo....
Here's what I want: When you spend the night in an Inn, I want an event to happen after you wake up, like a gate opens that wasnt open before. But, I dont want it to happen each time you stay at the inn. So how do I get it to do this?

HOOTERS
05-20-2002, 01:32 AM
Just have the switch trigger a new page in the Inn event that just lets you stay at the Inn as normal.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-21-2002, 05:47 AM
Okay, another question for me:
How do I get a monster to transform in the middle of a battle? Much like Hsu did with his final boss?

P.S. Thanks to anyone and everyone who is helping me through my RPG quest.... You'll have a special place in my heart.... and by heart I mean credits....

Big Ogre Umaro
05-22-2002, 01:18 AM
It's an action that you can set for it in the Monsters tab on the DB under the "Actions Patterns" section.

BlkKnight
05-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Actually, there is a better way to go about it.

In the monster party screen, insert the two bosses.

Right-click on the second form you put in and select the route from appearance option that appears, and align the two sprites.

Next, go to the battle events at the bottom of the screen and create the trigger to make the boss change.
It can be something like after 10 turns the boss transforms, or if the boss only has between 1% and X% of his life remaining to trigger the transform.

Finally enter the two commands: The enemy encounter command in the top right corner to bring out the other form and then "change enemy condition" to set the first form's status to Normal (i.e. death). You can add in some witty comments from the boss as well.

Using this method, you can do more things than BOU's method. You can make lackeys appear to aid the boss, or make a boss have more than 9999 HP.

Big Ogre Umaro
05-23-2002, 05:21 AM
Good times. *noddy*

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-23-2002, 06:52 AM
Alright... I did EVERY thing you told me to and yet it doesnt work. I set the second monster to the route form appearacne, and everything here's what the battle event's box looks like:

Trigger: Enemy[1:Hydrasnake]HP[1?30]%
<>Enemy Appears:2:Big Snake
<>Set Enemy's Condition:2:Big Snake->NormalCondition
<>Shake Screen: Pow,5,Speed,5,0.3s.(W)
<>Play SE: Monster1
<>Mssg:Hydra Transformed!
<>Change Switch: [0005:End Transform]-ON set

It does everything, (the shakes, the sound, and the message) except have the monster transform... what am I doing wrong?!

BlkKnight
05-23-2002, 07:54 AM
You killed off the wrong monster. You need to set the old monster's conditon to normal, not the new one.

syun_ukiya
05-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Can you tell me what I need to download for me to make an RPG? I don't know which is which to download!

Emotion Sickness
05-28-2002, 11:18 AM
this engine is too limited... but maybe when i drop by this section sometime i might answer some of ur needs, i was classified as a rm2k junkie :)

Bahamut2000X
05-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Well I have a question. Well looking at Hsu's Endless Idiocy game I was wondering how I can add in one of those narrator scenes or whatever it is with just everything black and no sprites and just talking. And also how do I do a scene where your party sprite is dissappeared and you can't see it while other events go on.

BlkKnight
05-29-2002, 12:30 AM
Both are pretty easy to do. For the narrative, you set the screen tone to all 0 (last value doesn't matter.) Then go to the message window options (under the text box command) and set it to transparent. When you finish the narrative, make the text box opaque again.

If you want to make your sprite dissapear, go to "Set hero walk GFX" and set the head character's sprite to a blank sprite (there's bound to be one file with that, if not make your own) When it's done, just go back in and return it to the original sprite.

Killy
05-29-2002, 12:51 PM
I tought I should share this with you, heres another RPG maker well under way: http://www.crypticdesigns.com/ it sounds promising

BlkKnight
05-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Yeah, that maker does look pretty promising. If I decide to do Tertiary Fantasy, I might want to use that engine if it looks like it'll come out soon.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-31-2002, 03:52 AM
One more question. I'm just full of them. How do you get the mine cart to go on the tracks like Hsu did? I mean, I can get it to go on regular ground, but when I lay the tracks down, it wont go over them. ME SO ANGRY!

Emotion Sickness
05-31-2002, 05:54 AM
hahaha... i say pfft to this topic... i mean i could imagine if you guys were all asking about the code and more complex stuff, but all this simple and i mean SIMPLE stuff is in the help file that was made by gemin-eye so go look through that, tells you mainly anything, or go to don miguels site for ALL tutorials!

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-31-2002, 06:22 AM
That's a pretty funny lookin' question....

But seriously, some of us may not be as expirienced as you, bub. Lay off would ya? I've never used a RPG maker before. And stop spamming too.

Emotion Sickness
05-31-2002, 12:14 PM
im not spaming, and im not saying all this because i may be more "experianced" than you... BUT im saying that you dont need to fill up the forums with pointless questions which can be answerede if u bothered to read upon the help file, coz it tells you things...

BlkKnight
05-31-2002, 05:51 PM
Just because what they're asking is in a help file is trivial. Sometimes people don't understand them period. So, if I give someone "RM2k for Dummies," he or she may still be confused and need a different approach. Also, I don't see how these questions are "filling up the forums." All these questions are going into one thread, as a Q&A session. People ask questions, people answer them. The majority of the people asking quetions are new, so nobody is going to ask something complicated like "How do I make a minesweeper mini-game?" or "How do I make a sideview battle?" If you have a problem with this thread, siply ignore it.

Spiff: Go into the database to the chipset tab, select the chipset you're using from the side, and find all the minecart tracks (upper) make sure they all have circles and you can move in all directions on it. If that's all fine, make sure you used them as an upper layer rather than an event.

Bahamut2000X
06-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Well I am curious as how to import something into RPG maker 2000. I have tried the built in feature but it hasn't worked. So any help would be very very helpful.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-08-2002, 06:35 AM
1) How do I do a screen shot?
2) Is there anyway I could do <strike> strikethrough </strike> in the message boxes? HTML doesn't seem to work... not that I expected it to....

BlkKnight
06-08-2002, 06:42 AM
Screenshot: hit F4 to go out of fullscreen and into a window. Hit alt+PrintScreen. Go into paint and paste the image. Save and you're done.

Strikethrough: As far as I know, it can't be done.

Blackmage
06-25-2002, 06:24 AM
*asks the hardest question yet* Anyone know where to find a simplified tutorial for a sideview ATB battle system FAQ, or is there anyone that knows how to do it that can EASILY explain it? I kinda find the turn-based system annoying and want to make it kinda like FF5 or 6 or something, but I'm too dumb to figure it out for myself (As well as ignorant, but that's another story.)

I'd also like to know if it's possible to have a certain skill appear only when the person has a certain item equipped, much like the Samarai from FFT? Or if it's possible for a sword to randomly cast a spell when attacking like the elemental rods from FFT?

Oh, and for that movie I'm making that appears in my sig (Black Mage's Wrath), I'm doing voice-acting! Unfortunately, in order to make the voices reasonably tangible, they're taking up a shitload of space; what would be the recommended bitrate for the WAV files? Which is why I hope RPGds comes out sometime in the near-future with its MP3 capability. :) So far, I've got it to work out quite well with the first scene that I've done with the voice acting; the only problem I've had with the movie is movement speed, which is my fault for ignorance to keep up with it.

VarzaEl the Fallen
07-01-2002, 10:24 PM
What is this RPG Maker you are talking about?And there are different versions of it too?Please someone post a link for more information!:whoa: :whoa:

Revenant
07-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Just give up on the ATB sidescreen stuff unless you have godlike patience. I've seen tutorials to it and it will take you a long, long time to make it work.

I'd say you should just make it more graphically appealing :
-make animations where your characters appear on the battle screen and use those as their respective attacks.
-Use event controlled battles so that some attacks monsters use will actually be animated in the screen instead of hearing some lame sound.

RPGMaker 2000 can be found right here http://rm2k.phantomrpg.com/

The site might be a little confusing, I recommend you download everything they offer. That includes the RTP, the RTP upgrade and the latest RM2K version. You'll get all the sprites you'll want (at least I did :)

There are several tutorials, links and documents found on that site too.

I don't have enough patience to use it =\ Only game creating engine I've used more than 2 months is MUGEN which makes excellent fighter games.

HOOTERS
07-08-2002, 03:38 PM
How do you post an rpg so that others can download and play it? Not that anyone would want to play my sad excuse for an rpg :chobin:

Tom Morello
07-08-2002, 06:27 PM
You guys sound like you make good rpgs, I would love to play one of them. If you could just tell me how to get one I would play it a lot. (I'm pretty bored waiting for FFXI to come out and need something to pass the time.)

Bahamut2000X
07-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes we do make our own RPG's just go to the link a few posts above to see the place where you can download the maker required to make/play the games.

Lionheart
07-09-2002, 03:18 AM
I wonder what that...hill thing that looks like a bunch of flies over it, and is set to be walked over, that's on the original chip set; is used as. I really need to figure out the whole variable thing, as well.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-12-2002, 11:48 AM
That "hill thing" is accually light pouring in from a door way... blargh... hard to explain... someone else do it...

BlkKnight
07-12-2002, 03:28 PM
You're right Alf. It's supposed to represent a doorway from the bottom. Probably best used if your dungeon's enterance/exit is facing that way.

Bahamut2000X
07-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a battle sprite of Gogo from FFV? I need it for a game I'm making. Thanks in advance.

omnitarian
07-25-2002, 02:29 AM
I have a hopefully simple problem...

When I check 'disable saving' on the map properties window, it doesn't disable it. No matter what. You can still save all you want. The only way I can make it not save is to make a new event, have it disable saving, and switch itself off. But then, of course, all the other maps let you save, and when you enter and exit, you can save once again. It's very annoying.

I also need to know the 'Equip something and learn a spell,de-equip it and forget it' thing.

Bahamut2000X
07-25-2002, 02:37 AM
To equip/unequip go to the first page of the set of commands for a event you can do. It is on the right side column at the top. It's change equipment. Also for spells it's on the left side near the bottom. It's called change skill.

Hope this helps.

omnitarian
07-25-2002, 09:42 PM
No no, I know all of that, I need to know how to, if you equip something, you'll learn a spell. And then when you unequip it, you'll forget the spell.

And I figured out the save thing... after every teleport, add Disable save> disable, it's not exactly a time saver but it works :p

BlkKnight
07-25-2002, 11:36 PM
Alright, here's how this works. You make a parallel process common event that checks if the character has the item equipped (found in the hero section of the fork conditions event) If it's true, then they learn the skill. If it's false, they forget it. Then you repeat for every other item (it can all be in the same event.)

Killy
07-26-2002, 04:54 AM
A little more work done on RPGds. g oto http://www.crypticdesigns.com/ to see the latest news. This looks very promising

SSnakeMetalGS2
08-22-2002, 03:01 AM
I have a friend very experienced with RM2K, he's been working on a game titled "Nine Rifts" for months now and plans to soon release a beta version. Hehad the info all up on his site but stupid Angelfire lowered their bandwidth and completelt wiped him out. (Not the game, just the info) Oh well, perhaps I'll keep posted.

As for me, I've made a few games myself, mostly for fun. My latest titled "The Confessions of Rico Swave" where the object of the RPG was to sleep with as many women as possible... kinda died in the production process. But I still like to have fun with the program now and then.