PDA

View Full Version : just an idea...

bki
05-19-2002, 09:20 AM
...maybe under each forum section you should put some sub-forums...like under the artist's forum maybe have a sub-forum for banners and av's...

Shlup
05-19-2002, 01:44 PM
That's a good idea in theory, but what it means is more clicking around forums. I think the thread's titles are enough, personally.

bki
05-19-2002, 05:51 PM
well....you could ask a few people...see what they think...

frankbianca
05-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Maybe you could make a flaming forum. I dunno if it would work for this board, but it did work at http://www.thenflforum.com There is almost no flaming going on at all on the main boards simply because we have a board designed for it. If you dont believe me when i say it works, go check it out. Its unbelievable.

The Man
05-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by frankbianca
Maybe you could make a flaming forum. I dunno if it would work for this board, but it did work at http://www.thenflforum.com There is almost no flaming going on at all on the main boards simply because we have a board designed for it. If you dont believe me when i say it works, go check it out. Its unbelievable. No. I’ll quote from the staff on this:

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
I will not tolerate the genesis of a hostile environment on Eyes On Final FantasyI think that’s final. I don’t want to see a forum in which people are allowed to bash each other unnecessarily. If people want to go online to hurt each other’s feelings, then they can go somewhere other than Eyes on Final Fantasy. If people consistently decide to take their aggressions out on others, they will simply be eliminated by the staff. There’s no need for that, really. People have enough troubles in their day-to-day lives. They don’t need to get more when they go online. Anyone who consistently feels it necessary to flame has no place on these boards, as far as I’m concerned. And I can’t see a “flaming forum” leading to anything but hurt feelings. It may have worked elsewhere, but there’s no way in hell it’s going to be allowed here.

One of the things that first attracted me about EoFF, actually, was how understanding the users were. Honestly, if such a forum is allowed even as a trial experiment, I will seriously consider detaching myself entirely from the forums and the web project. Flaming offends people. They wouldn’t have to visit the flaming forum if they didn’t want to, but the point is that the staff likes to avoid seeing people get unnecessarily hurt. Flaming hurts.

Also, we might consider that the type of people who would typically visit an NFL forum are completely different from the type of people who would typically visit a Final Fantasy forum.

Blarg. To be completely honest, I think it’s a terrible idea, and I’m sure most veterans here would agree with me. If people want to flame, they can just try it and see how long the staff puts up with it. They won’t put up with it very long, I can tell you that.

Peace
The Man

frankbianca
05-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Why dont you go to the forum and check it out? None of the people hate each other, and the board is very friendly. The mods and posters are very friendly with each other and there is almost never conflict between two posters. In fact, it is about fifty-thousand times better than this board when it comes to friendliness. It works wonders. And theres ONE little board for it. Youre supposed to try and offend others and theyre supposed to try and offend you back, so its all in good fun. And if they dont wanna be offended ever, they can just stay on the main boards and be happy. Its not hostile or a bad idea, its just fun.

bki
05-19-2002, 07:28 PM
well then why not have a spam forum??^^

The Man
05-19-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by frankbianca
Why dont you go to the forum and check it out? None of the people hate each other, and the board is very friendly. The mods and posters are very friendly with each other and there is almost never conflict between two posters. In fact, it is about fifty-thousand times better than this board when it comes to friendliness. It works wonders. And theres ONE little board for it. Youre supposed to try and offend others and theyre supposed to try and offend you back, so its all in good fun. And if they dont wanna be offended ever, they can just stay on the main boards and be happy. Its not hostile or a bad idea, its just fun. I don’t think it would work here. NFL is a diversion for many of the people who follow it, it seems, while FF is a way of life, so the characters of people who posted to the corresponding message boards would cause them take things differently. I’m sure it works fine on the NFL board, but I don’t think it would work here.

A lot of people are probably unfriendly lately, as well, because of the time of year and its stress, which includes final exams and research papers. However, the moderators, in case you haven’t noticed, frown on people when they flame.

I, for one, say what I think. I give people compliments when they say insightful things, and I offer criticisms of things that don’t seem particularly correct. I try my hardest, however, not to offend others, as that’s wrong.

People simply need to be considerate of others here and remember that it’s not their right to post here; it’s their privilege. If they abuse that privilege, they won’t last here very long. It’s a simple system, and it’s worked on these boards for many years. I don’t see any need to change it. If you disagree with it, then perhaps this is not the forum for you.

Originally posted by bki
well then why not have a spam forum??^^ The idea of a spam forum has recently been discussed in this thread (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17855).

Peace
The Man

frankbianca
05-19-2002, 07:45 PM
True, the man, it might not work here, but i wouldnt mind seeing us try it. And BTW, NFL IS A WAY OF LIFE!!!!:P
People dont just bash each other's teams in there, they bash each other, and sometimes its NASTY. But if anything, it improves the friendliness between the people, because offending is what youre supposed to do. It just lets people know that theres no hard feelings about anything. Its weird, but i think it might work.

bki
05-19-2002, 07:54 PM
so...we try it then??and if it fails then we get rid of it...

frankbianca
05-19-2002, 07:58 PM
right. Theres nothing wrong with trying it. If it fails, then oh well, you can always get rid of it. Anything to help improve the boards. And also, there IS such a thing as going out of line on a flaming forum. Its not completely no-holds-barred.

bki
05-19-2002, 08:04 PM
so...ummm....well....then....i went on this other forum thing and it was really organized...it was soooo cool!!!i would post the site but it's down...they had something really cool!!!evertime you posted you get 5gils and when someone replies to ya thread you get 1gil, with the gils ye can get people ta make you banners/host them...you could even buy weapons(for fun)^^it was soooooo great...(not saying these ain't)but it was so organized and everything!!!if it does ever come back...
http://forums.ffinsider.net/

The Man
05-19-2002, 08:08 PM
I think we’d have to see how other people feel. It gives me a bad taste. Ultimately, it’s the staff’s decision as to whether to allow that, but I seriously doubt that they would.

Yes, I know how fanatically some people feel about the NFL. What I referred to, however, is that people have deep emotional connections to the FF games because of their content, which can constantly be relived and re-experienced. To some people, the games feel like parts of themselves. It’s really quite hard to explain, though, if you don’t know the feeling yourself. I am easily offended, and I’m sure that other people on these boards are similar. I think that while you might not take deep offense to what might be said on a flaming forum, there are others who would, and we have to consider them, as I’m sure they’re quite numerous amongst us. If people get hurt, they’ll stop browsing the forums at all.

Whatever. I’m not on staff, I’m just a lowlife who likes to share his opinion a lot, and it’s ultimately the staff’s decision.

Peace
The Man

bki
05-19-2002, 08:22 PM
well...i've been on the site before so i can do the working offline thing...i took some screenshots(i can't really explain so it's better to show)it's an example of how info on the left of the screen is shown...as you can see it's mine...you'll notice gil(hopefully)^^

The Man
05-19-2002, 08:48 PM
We decided long ago that a post-intensive system would make the forums far too caste-like. While not a highly flawed idea in theory, it could be used in practice to shun newbies and might potentially give a holier-than-thou air to veterans. It is for this reason that the post count and registration date below users’ names in their posts were removed long ago.

Peace
The Man

bki
05-19-2002, 09:02 PM
personally i don't care 'bout it...i just wanna post...but in some ways it make it look more "professional"^^
but i was really just trying to show you the gill thing...

woah! went way off the main idea!heres an example of how sub-forums would work...you don't really end up clicking much...

The Man
05-19-2002, 09:08 PM
It might work as part of the profile. But I’m not sure how it would be implemented now without some complicated amount of programming, and I’m also not sure what we’d need the Gil for.

Dunno, really. All of this is ultimately up to the staff.

Peace
The Man

bki
05-19-2002, 09:10 PM
yup!up to da staff^^

crono_logical
05-19-2002, 11:16 PM
I very much doubt there'll ever be a flaming forum or a spam forum here at EoFF - although they might work elsewhere at other forums, it wouldn't be suited to this community at all, this place works better without them. :)

As for the RPG-esque stat system, one thing it will cause is more spammy posts as people try to boost their stats - that's one of the reasons why post counts are no longer visible in the actual forums (though they're still there :p ) - I believe it's possible to disable them completely across the whole forums too as part of vBulletin, though that hasn't been done.

As for sub-forums, bleh, we'll see, I don't see any major need for them though. :p

Shlup
05-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by bki
well....you could ask a few people...see what they think... I believe you already did that. ;)

I just think we have enough forums as it is.

The Man
05-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
I believe it's possible to disable them completely across the whole forums too as part of vBulletin, though that hasn't been done.Actually, it has (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&&postid=303977#post303977). Or at least if you mean that it was impossible to view them in users’t profiles, that was the case for awhile.
Peace
The Man

crono_logical
05-19-2002, 11:49 PM
It has? O_o

*checks*

Nope, it hasn't, my post count just went up with this one.

I meant disabled as in no matter where you post, your post count stays frozen, which isn't the case. They're only hidden unless you actually go search them out at these forums, but certainly not disabled :)

The Man
05-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Odd. I would have thought that the database would simply tally up how many posts by a given user were in a certain database, but I guess it doesn’t do that. Then again, post counts would take forever if they did. So instead, that means that post count is a variable in the user database? How do we search for posts, then? And if someone knew how to hack into the database, does this mean that they could potentially make everyone’s post count go haywire? When moderators delete a user’s double-post, then, does that lower the user’s post count? And when my posts to the Feedback Forum disappear, will my post count go down ever so slightly?

It seems strange that post counts could get frozen at all, at least with the system we currently use, unless we simply stopped associating posts with users altogether. That seems… impossible. Please do explain further.

By the way, Unne meant that post counts weren’t visible in user profiles, and the only way to figure out how many posts a user had at all was to load the “Top Posters” menu, which could only be done by those who recalled the link. I assume you understood that, but I felt like restating it anyway.

It’s not disabled right now, and I never tried to imply that, although maybe I managed to imply it somehow anyway. Post counts were made entirely invisible for awhile; that’s what I meant.
Peace
The Man

crono_logical
05-20-2002, 12:12 AM
Actually, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that newer vBulletin board versions such as this one store the post count in a variable for the user, but also recount every users posts daily, thus preventing the possiblity of admins messing up post counts as could previously be done :p, and would also correct any errors from posting/deleting posts/threads. (There was a big ruckus over at Gamingforce when they found that out after one particular upgrade, since many of the "veterans" found that their modified post counts (done by the admin) to include pre-vBulletin days and board resets dropped quite a lot to become the values of posts since the last board reset :D )

Whether this feature can be enabled/disabled by choice or not, I don't know, I haven't had the time to mess around with vBulletin as much as I'd have liked so far to see exactly what it's capable of (I've got a copy on my PC just for that purpose :p ). As for freezing the post count completely, the board can simply be given a list of forums not to take post counts from, so by adding all forums to that list, I think everyone's post count would sit at 0 :) Meh, that's all I know and have heard of about vBulletin at the moment, like I said, when I get the time to play around with it more, I can find out for certain, and probably find out anything wrong I said in the previous paragraphs :D

Yes, I knew what Unne said, but since they're now visible in profiles, I didn't think that'd apply to this case :)

The Man
05-20-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by crono_logical
Actually, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that newer vBulletin board versions such as this one store the post count in a variable for the user, but also recount every users posts daily, thus preventing the possiblity of admins messing up post counts as could previously be done :p, and would also correct any errors from posting/deleting posts/threads.Ah, yes. Now I feel somewhat more reassured.

(There was a big ruckus over at Gamingforce when they found that out after one particular upgrade, since many of the "veterans" found that their modified post counts (done by the admin) to include pre-vBulletin days and board resets dropped quite a lot to become the values of posts since the last board reset :D )Yes. There are quite a few people who feel pride in the number of times they’ve posted. To be perfectly honest, I myself do feel a moderate such pride, though I certainly don’t feel myself to be superior to users who post less frequently. That would be ridiculous. Hiding the post count below users’ names in the forum view probably helps discourage that kind of behaviour, and I applaud it.

the board can simply be given a list of forums not to take post counts from, so by adding all forums to that list, I think everyone's post count would sit at 0 :)Yes. Basically, everyone would be thinking, “Great Scott, where did all my posts go?” By searching for all posts by a given user, though, it wouldn’t be entirely difficult to figure out how many posts a user actually had (more or less) unless searching, too, got disabled. Even if the post numbers got turned off for the search, there’s still the matter of how many pages of results turn up.

Yes, I knew what Unne said, but since they're now visible in profiles, I didn't think that'd apply to this case :) I thought they would. Sorry for not making myself clear. :)
Peace
The Man

Bannor
05-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Well I would personally like to say something. i think that there should be a seperate forums in the writers corner. One for poetry and what not and then other for writing. I am sorry but those poetry threads really push down the writing ones. It is just a suggestion.

bki
05-20-2002, 06:06 PM
*nods*i agree^^

Loony BoB
05-20-2002, 06:46 PM
The first ideas in my opinion were pre-no's. That last one is more interesting though. It's worth thinking about =)

crono_logical
05-20-2002, 07:14 PM
What last idea, there's been quite a few "off-topic" ideas in this thread O_o The Writer's Corner one, perhaps? :p

bki
05-20-2002, 07:36 PM
so there is a chance of being a few sub-forums then???^^

Loony BoB
05-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Yup. Then again, there's also a chance that you and crono are gonna fall in love sometime in the next year, and get together the next, and end up making babies.

You never know.

crono_logical
05-20-2002, 11:20 PM
bki is female? Guess I should check user profiles more often then :p

bki
05-21-2002, 07:21 AM
:whoa: I don't really think it's likely to happen Loony Bob!!!:whoa:

Loony BoB
05-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Still, you don't KNOW it won't happen ;) ;) ;)

Anyhow, of course bki is female. Hence the avatar. And the F in her profile. Makes sense, no?

I think you two would be cute.

bki
05-22-2002, 08:09 AM
:weirdo: yeh...whatever^^

crono_logical
05-22-2002, 11:11 AM
My profile and avatar say nothing about my gender though, I have a female avatar and my gender in my profile is some unicode character which shows up differently depending on the language encoding your browser is using :D

On topic, I don't see subforums for avatars/signatures in Artists, because the number of request threads are so low anyway, I think most people are capable of aking their own or using what's already available :)