PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I want to update the forum FAQ

Big Ogre Umaro
05-19-2002, 08:21 PM
As it is in need of updating. Default is yuck, plus there are many questions that need answering. *noddy* I'll take help thinking up questions to answer.

Loony BoB
05-19-2002, 09:08 PM
...dunno about Forum updates. Point this thread out to Scottie, I guess. *dunno*

The Man
05-19-2002, 09:20 PM
Three issues I’d certainly like to see addressed: What the “Recognized Member” rank means, how to use the spoiler tags, and how to use the OOC tags. These issues need to be addressed, in my view, especially since apparently, ninety-eight percent of newbies don’t even know about the necessity of marking spoilers, let alone the existence of a spoiler tag.

Spoiling (FFVII SPOILER) <FONT COLOR=012033>Aeris&rsquo; death</font> without warning has almost become a clich&eacute;. That must stop. To be honest, if it were possible to add a spoiler button (and thus, a clickable tag) to the response page, that could very easily help prevent spoilers before they even occurred.
Peace
The Man

crono_logical
05-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Not Forum updates, Forum FAQ updates, as in the one closed/stickied at the top of the Help Forum :p

I guess you could make the list of questions and answers and PM it to one of us to add to the closed thread, or we could even temporarily open it for you to add yourself :p

The Man
05-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
Not Forum updates, Forum FAQ updates,Yes. I can&srquo;t tell you how many times I&rsquo;ve seen people ask what the OOC tag means or how to use the spoiler tag. If I could just refer them to some bit in an FAQ, it would make life oh-so-much easier.

I guess you could make the list of questions and answers and PM it to one of us to add to the closed thread, or we could even temporarily open it for you to add yourself :p You can temporarily open threads to specific members only? Neat.

If I see any other questions that frequently get asked, I&rsquo;ll mention them here or something, at least if it would be appropriate for me to do so.

Peace
The Man

crono_logical
05-19-2002, 11:52 PM
Not to specific members, no. Opening it would mean to everyone, that's why I think it'd be better if you just PMed a Q&A list to add instead and we'll add it to the thread without opening it for others, it'd be safer that way :)

The Man
05-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Yes, that makes more sense. Of course, you could always just delete the posts of people who wandered in and posted without permission, or you could temporarily say, &ldquo;We&rsquo;re only letting User X post in this forum and if anyone else posts, your posts will get summarily deleted&rdquo; at the very beginning of the first message, but yes, PMing a moderator or administrator sounds like by far the most convenient method of&hellip; whatever&hellip; for everyone involved.
Righty-o, then I&rsquo;ll just PM the Q&A stuff to a staff member whenever I get around to writing it. Or maybe I can just post here so my post count inc*gets shot by a sniper*

Peace
The Man

Big Ogre Umaro
05-20-2002, 02:34 AM
You know, I completely forgot about that thread. Why the eff isn't that stuff merged with the actual FAQ? It seems quite illogical that there should be two separate FAQs. The FAQ system for this place would need an FAQ in and of itself. Someone should combine them. If only an administrator out there actually cared to do some WORK. *cough* Oh, to dream of such a utopian society...

And actually, now that I think about it, this thread would have been better placed in that "Feedback Forum" or whatever it's called. Bah, I can't be arsed to know where every damn thread goes, though. *posts about Sailor Moon in the General Chat Forum* This whole place should just be one huge forum, un-threaded. Like one of those old, archaic <a href="http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=961430225">Bravenet Boards</a>.

crono_logical
05-20-2002, 02:43 AM
I think the actual FAQ is the actual vBulletin FAQ, not the EoFF site specific one, that's why I assumed you were talking about the Help Forum one :p Oh well :D

*looks at BraveNet*

Ouch, I don't think that'd work well with a forum as large as EoFF xD

Big Ogre Umaro
05-20-2002, 06:40 AM
The vBulletin FAQ can be edited quite easilly to BECOME the EoFF Site Specific FAQ, but no one has done so.

*also looks at Bravenet* You know you'd love it. >=D

The Man
05-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Big Ogre Umaro
The vBulletin FAQ can be edited quite easilly to BECOME the EoFF Site Specific FAQ, but no one has done so. Yes, absolutely.

Hm... do you need someone to do that? I could work on it, if you like. I completely agree that the two FAQs are both superfluous and confusing, and I'd be perfectly willing to go about the potentially arduous task of combining them if it would be helpful for me to do so.

As for addenda to the Help Forum's FAQ, wouldn't it be possible for me simply to leave an extra post in this thread, and have a moderator move my response to the appropriate thread? Or would that require me to start a new thread?
Peace
The Man