PDA

View Full Version : Font Problems

Spatvark
05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Gah... this isn't the first time this has happened but it's gone too far now...

For some reason, every now and then the fonts I see in IE changes... now, it's shrunk massively so I can hardly read anything.. does anyone know why this keeps happening? Is it a cookie problem? Why me? Why Peanut Butter Jam?

crono_logical
05-20-2002, 11:18 PM
If it's shrunk, you've probably changed the font size on the browser :p

Look in View > Text Size menu to change it :) I believe holding down CTRL and rolling the mouse wheel (if you have one) will also change the font size, in IE, anyway :p

Sakura Yume
05-21-2002, 05:39 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>OOOO me add to that! Why does my purty pink #FFCCFF shows up as a slightly off-coloured Rinoabella font... :cry: I like SEEING my purty pink...

Squally Leonharty
05-21-2002, 07:42 AM
<font color="#FFCCFF">Testing colour...</font>

<b>Edit:</b> Because it IS Rinoabella's font. :p Silly Tammy. Just use this code if you want to use pink:

&lt;font color="pink"&gt;And yes, you can use words in a code, instead of hexademical numbers. :D&lt;/font&gt;

<font color="pink">And yes, you can use words in a code, instead of hexademical numbers. :D</font>

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
05-21-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
I believe holding down CTRL and rolling the mouse wheel (if you have one) will also change the font size, in IE, anyway :p

I didn't know that.... *goes mental messing up the font sizes :p*

The Man
05-21-2002, 03:39 PM
I believe holding down CTRL and rolling the mouse wheel (if you have one) will also change the font size, in IE, anyway :p
Originally posted by One Winged Angel
I didn't know that.... *goes mental messing up the font sizes *Yeah. It's fun. :p

Well, it does that in Windows, anyway. I tried it last night on my Mac, which runs Version 4.5 of IE, and it didn't work. It might work with Version 5.0 of IE on a Mac, though. *wanders off muttering comments about how buggy Version 4.5 of IE for the Mac was*
Peace
The Man

crono_logical
05-21-2002, 03:47 PM
IE4 was buggy for me in Windows, let alone on the Mac :p

And if you hold Shift instead of Ctrl, the wheel turns into the Forwards/Back buttons at the top of the browser :D

The Man
05-21-2002, 04:05 PM
IE4 was buggy for me in Windows, let alone on the Mac :pYeah. IE 5 has its share of problems, too, mostly because Microsoft seem to care more about adding new features than they care about fixing old bugs. Shame, really.

Among other flaws in Version 4.5 of IE for Mac, it also doesn't recognize escape codes like &amp;rsquo; and &amp;mdash;, which is why I've stopped using those in my posts and on my web page. That's quite bothersome, since they were supposed to be a universal standard that would prevent Macs from seeing the wrong characters in place of curly quotes and the like on web pages. Thankfully, letter escape codes, like &amp;ucirc; for &ucirc;, are fine, but it's still quite vexing that any of them wouldn't work.

And if you hold Shift instead of Ctrl, the wheel turns into the Forwards/Back buttons at the top of the browser :D Blarg, that explains a lot, like how sometimes the post I'm working on inexplicably disappears to be replaced by the page I was browsing three screens before, then turns inaccessible when I try to return to my work. I'll remember never to use the wheel again while working on posts. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Peace
The Man

Sakura Yume
05-22-2002, 04:10 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>Squally... it's not. I asked Jewels to check it for me. She said on her screen it was the colour which it usually would be for me cos I told her to compare it in other places I've used it eg: my site, my LJ, my forums and she said it looked right. You must have the same problem I have...

crono_logical
05-22-2002, 11:40 AM
(tests)

<FONT COLOR="#CC99CC">Rinoabella's font colour is #CC99CC</FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#FFCCFF">This is your pinky #FFCCFF colour</FONT>

The only difference in the hex values is the yours is +33 lighter for <I>all</I> hex values, so logically speaking, it <I>should</I> look like an off-colour (lighter to be more specific) Rinoabella colour :) If it doesn't look like an off colour Rinoabella font, then that computer's monitor is the one messed up, not ours :D Your's still looks pinkish to me though :p

Shlup
05-22-2002, 11:30 PM
I hate it when I go on a computer and the font sizes are messed up! Grr! I have to put my nose to the monitor to read who posted last.

And if you hold Shift instead of Ctrl, the wheel turns into the Forwards/Back buttons at the top of the browser :D Wow! I was unaware of this. Thank you, dearest lover.

Sakura Yume
05-23-2002, 12:27 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>Crono, it looks like a lighter shade of Kelly's yes, but I was expecting it to look like the heading <a href="http://sakurayume.50megs.com/">here</a> or <a href="http://forthemusic.proboards.com/">here</a> as those are FFCCFF as well... :eep:

The Man
05-23-2002, 12:31 AM
My guess is that it looks different because the text backgrounds on the EoFF boards are a different colour than the black background, so by contrast, or in this case lack of contrast, it looks different. To increase the contrast and thus the distinctiveness of the intended colour, you might try increasing the saturation, as in <FONT COLOR=#FFBBFF>#FFBBFF</FONT> or <FONT COLOR=#FF99FF>#FF99FF</FONT>, until you get what you want.

Also note that because the EoFF Forums use two different background colours, this one (#012033) and the lighter one:

<TABLE BGCOLOR=#002942 WIDTH=100% CELLBORDER=15 CELLSPACING=15><TR><TD>#002942</TD></TR></TABLE>
you'll need to factor in for that when making your colour look good on both backgrounds.

<TABLE BGCOLOR=#01243A WIDTH=100% CELLBORDER=15 CELLSPACING=15><TR><TD>#01243A</TD></TR></TABLE>
is literally halfway between those.

If you want a literally brighter version of Kelly's font colour, then <FONT COLOR=#FFBFFF>#FFBFFF</FONT> is what you should use; when making things like this brighter you have to factor in that adding the same amount to the numbers will make them less saturated, and thus more off-colour. Multiplication, rather than addition, is what you need to use in this case, I think, but I can't be bothered to figure all that hexadecimal stuff out, even with a hex calculator, so I just use Photoshop, which automatically converts Web to RGB or HSB and then back. It's much easier. :p

Peace
The Man