PDA

View Full Version : Darn it.

Dr Unne
06-04-2002, 05:03 AM
Has anyone ever gotten Java to work in Opera under Linux? I have RedHat 7.3 or something. I've NEVER gotten it to work, over my 5 or 6 HD-formatting-clean-installs of Linux. I just installed it again, a new version 6 or something, but no Java. Opera says it can find the stupid plugin. It shows up in Opera's dumb Plugin list. I even reinstalled the J2 SDK and JRE by hand and forced Opera to find THAT plugin, which is says it can find, but it doesn't work. Under Mime types x-application-java-applet or something is listed, and it's set to open them with the Java(tm) Plug-in, no file extensions set though. Java applets don't load for me, ever. Don't even show a little broken box. Just empty space where the applets should be. I'm not sure if ANY plugins work for Opera for me. I read about installing OpenMotif or something. So I did that too. I don't know if Opera is finding OpenMotif though. I don't know how to force Opera to find OpenMotif anyways. I don't even know what the heck OpenMotif is, but I installed the thing. I don't know what the heck the problem is at all. Darn it. I hate computers.

crono_logical
06-04-2002, 05:10 AM
Try the link to the tiny site I posted in Gen Chat in Opera - it needs a flash plugin, so you can check if any plugins are working or not - the site works fine in my Opera, but I'm in a Windows environment :p

I know Opera has a habit of not drawing anything if there's a broken link, I notice that with my sig, if I put the wrong path by mistake, I don't get a broken box in Opera like under IE, just nothing, not even a blank space.

I don't know what else you could try under Linux though.

Dr Unne
06-04-2002, 05:16 AM
The site itself works OK, but trying to load one of the Flash things like the Maze results in a big fat nothing. It must be a problem with plugins in general. I'll look for documentation somewhere I guess. Fat chance of finding any. That's one of the sucky things about Linux. Have I mentioned that I hate computers? Oh how I hate computers.

EDIT: OK, I had to install an OLD version of OpenMotif, which I had to track down on the second RedHat installation CD. I had Motif OpenMotif 2.2.2-3, Opera demands OpenMotif21-2.1.30-1, which is somehow an older version, though I don't understand their version numbering system. Now Java kind of works sometimes in Opera, althought still not for every site out there, and very slowly at that, and it always opens the accursed Java Console. I still hate computers.