PDA

View Full Version : What's the maximum number of PMs one can have in one's inbox at once?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Heh, check it out: I'm on staff, but I'm not too proud to post a question in the Help forum! I'm on the level with the commoners! Oh, man... I rock so hard.

Yeah, so. I thought the magic number was 250, but I logged on today to find #251 in there. Where's the ceiling now?

crono_logical
06-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Perhaps we get bigger PM boxes :D Since looking at your post, I don't know either, actually :p Try asking an Admin or something :p

The Man
06-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Woot! Kishi needs help! *makes fun of Kis *gets shot by a sniper*
I don't know. I think admins are allowed 500, mods are allowed 350, and other users are allowed 250. Have you ever been smitten by the 250-message ceiling before, Kishi? I know I lost about ten messages because my box was full for about two weeks and I didn't know it. I thought the ceiling was 350 at the time for everyone.

Blarg, the PM box size limit was never made particularly clear anyway. Whenever the Forum FAQ gets updated, that's one of the issues that certainly should be addressed in it.

Edit: First he stole the 100,000th post from Spuuky, then he posted before me. What nerve he has.

Peace
The Man

crono_logical
06-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Er, you pull those numbers out of a hat, The Man? :p

*doesn't remember seeing anything about that here*

I don't see any option to set different number of PM limits for different user groups in my copy of vB now that I've checked, so I don't know what's happenned :p

The Man
06-09-2002, 09:39 PM
I thought I saw those numbers somewhere else on the board, but I have no plunking clue where. I suppose you could do a search for "250" "350" "500" on the boards, but I don't know how to search for text entries, so I can't do the search.

Of course, my memory is widely reported to be less reliable than Cain Highwind, so don't trust it too much.

Peace
The Man

Scottie
06-09-2002, 09:55 PM
The 250 max, a number for all members has been increased to 350 for the time being. This is so "Award Guy" can keep more PM's in his box for the nominations and voting in the awards. After which that number will go back down to 250. Maybe we'll keep it at 300.

musashius
06-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Neato.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. I always thought mods/admins got more PM space because they get PM'ed with questions from the commoners and shtuff.

The Man
06-09-2002, 10:07 PM
Personally, the freedom to have 350 messages in one's inbox sounds like a nice one. Any chance we can leave it like that, Scottie? Pretty please? :rolleyes2

Eh, yeah. Much like Mushy, I was surprised to hear that the staff members didn't get a larger message box because of their leadership-related duties. After all, they have more people who are likely to message them about questions and the like, being leaders.
Peace
The Man

Scottie
06-09-2002, 10:10 PM
I don't see why any member should have the need to keep 350 PM's. (Clean out your "sent messages" folder)

It takes up a lot of space when you multiply that by all the members we have. Yes, I know not all members will use the full 350, but to maintain 250 PMs is very easy to do, IMO.

The Man
06-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Certainly, I agree, but since cleaning out my message box by saving all the messages to my hard drive is a very tedious task, I like to subject myself to it as seldom as possible. I know that I will just have to clean out more messages at a time if I have a larger box of messages to save, but still.

Theoretically, most users on the forums shouldn't even need 150 messages, but that doesn't mean that a 250-message PM box isn't a luxury, and it doesn't mean that a 350-message PM box wouldn't be all the nicer. Most PMs, in my experience, are relatively small, anyway, and I doubt very many users on these forums even send and receive 250 messages per year. No big deal, though.

Peace
The Man