PDA

View Full Version : A silly idea but i gotta post it anyway

Calliope
06-10-2002, 04:07 AM
You know that "don't make threads that say you're leaving" rule? And how everyone ignores it? Well you know what I think? If someone makes an "i'm leaving" thread, BAN THEM!

*giggles* that should stop them. Or something. Be quiet! It amuses me :D

Dr Unne
06-10-2002, 04:20 AM
We also have a "don't spam" rule. Maybe we should ban people who break that one too. [/semi-sarcasm]

Spuuky
06-10-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
We also have a "don't spam" rule. Maybe we should ban people who break that one too. [/semi-sarcasm] I sort of agree, it's just very hard to figure out exactly what "spam" is.

The Man
06-10-2002, 04:26 AM
When Xi said that he was leaving as a form of protest and that he was... surprise surprise... actually Cy reincarnated, he was promptly banned again.
I think that sometimes we want to have explanations as to why people leave. If the threads are promptly closed, then at least we still have an explanation as to their disappearance.

Peace
The Man

Spuuky
06-10-2002, 04:28 AM
Perhaps, though they could also contact people who might care via other methods.

Calliope
06-10-2002, 04:29 AM
But I didn't think of this as spam. Gah, now I'm confused...hmm...never mind. I always thought when people leave they'd PM everyone and say why they're leaving. Or something.

Dr Unne
06-10-2002, 04:31 AM
I don't think of THIS thread as spam, no. Anyways, "spam" is pretty clearly defined. It's whatever the Staff decides it is.

People can post going-away threads and give them another topic so they stay alive too, some people do that. Not that hard.

The Man
06-10-2002, 04:32 AM
Actually, I hadn't thought of that. That would work better, actually, but there is always the possibility that some people who'd care might not get informed by the individual who left.

Dunno.

Edit: This was actually a response to Nicky's post. I didn't even notice that Brian beat me to posting. His suggestion makes a *lot* of sense, however.

Peace
The Man

Sakura Yume
06-10-2002, 05:11 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>Dunno about Nicky's suggestion, kinda good. I still think that people should just PM their friends to tell their friends if they are leaving. Actually posting it in some ways seems like they want other people's attention. Kinda a "look at me, I'm leaving, I'm so great" type thing unless their leaving actually affects everyone eg admins/mods. Also, as Unne/Brian said, some people give it a point so threads aren't closed... doesn't take that much thought.

Eg: "I'm leaving.

Have you ever wanted to leave EoFF?"

Er... [/pointless post]

...I'll just shut up now...

Loony BoB
06-10-2002, 06:16 PM
According to what I've seen, the only leaving threads that stay open are either dead-serious ones that are in good taste (dead serious = they're doing it for a lengthy time, if not for good... and they've got to be known well enough to earn it. Can't have newbies saying bye as soon as they join xD) and admins, as, well, they need the people to know that they're gone so they don't have requests sent to them. Seems logical to me.

Oh, and if anyone's desperate to make a thread that they're leaving, I don't see why they can't just add a topic to the thread. Then it should stay open =) *nods*

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Also, some jamokes put up thier "I'm leaving" thread, saying they'll never return, but then two weeks later, they have some sort of revelation and they come crawling back to us like the worms they are. Now if they were banned they couldnt come back, now could they? Hey..... we may be on to something.....

The Man
06-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
Also, some jamokes put up thier "I'm leaving" thread, saying they'll never return, but then two weeks later, they have some sort of revelation and they come crawling back to us like the worms they are. Now if they were banned they couldnt come back, now could they? Hey..... we may be on to something..... But don't some of us want people to come back? Everyone has moments of doubt from time to time. Sometimes merely reading the words of other forum members is enough to convince people to stay. *dunno*

Peace
The Man

Shlup
06-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Spiff touched on what I have to say about it. People who say they're leaving should just be banned so they can't come back. If they say they're leaving then I just don't want to see them around anymore.

Also, I think leaving threads should be closed regardless. If the thread is given a point, it's a weak point that's probably been done a million times and is just an excuse. If it's an admin, they should just stick it in the announcements; that's what they're there for.

If a person's leaving, that's what PM's and signatures are for: informing people.

Also, I think that everyone who has said they're leaving and is now back should be banned immediatly. They bother me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-12-2002, 09:12 PM
*Kishi's trigger finger twitches*

Chaos
06-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Well, Leaving threads are banned right? So when someone is posting a leaving thread, they are breaking the rules. Doesn't breaking the rules warrent a ban?
Might work.

Chaos