PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

frankbianca
06-14-2002, 10:35 PM
I was reading some threads and I was wondering exactly why goodbye threads arent allowed. I mean, it's only right to send a goodbye message rather than fading into oblivion. Did something happen with them, or did some people abuse the goodbye message? Just wondering why theyre not allowed.

CloudDragon
06-14-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm not exactly sure why they aren't allowed but I was a member here when they were taken away. Basically you can kind of have one, but you probably want the main topic to be about something you could discuss as a regular topic and then mention in the thread that you may be leaving or that you have come back.

The Man
06-14-2002, 11:08 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>"I'm leaving" threads aren't generally allowed without some added side topic simply because people were abusing them, I think. Think about it: If every newbie who came to the forums and decided not to stay were allowed to make a thread about his/her decision, we'd be flooded with such threads. I think the staff allows the occasional "I'm leaving" thread to be posted and remain open, but the starter of said thread has to be someone whose departure would affect everybody on the forums (e.g., a moderator or an administrator) or someone who's really earned it by rocking hard enough (e.g., people like Shlup, Spatvark, and myself, not that any of us is leaving in the near future as far as I know). Generally, you can just come up with some relevant topic and make your thread have a point beyond allowing other users to post "Oh, sorry to hear things didn't work out here, I'll miss you" when that's often not even the case. It's not that hard.

Beyond that, you can PM people who you think are likely to care if you're leaving, and if you're active on Instant Messenger, then those who didn't hear from you can just IM you and ask where you are. If you're returning after a long hiatus, you can just mention in your sig, "Hey, I'm back." Your activity will speak for itself, especially if, on your return, you become as active as, for example, Musashius has been.

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-14-2002, 11:11 PM
When they were allowed, they were indeed abused by people who would post their "Good-bye, I'm leaving forever" thread and then return two weeks later. This happened far too often, so the staff simply outlawed them altogether. There are some exceptions, though. I know I wouldn't object if a valued member of EoFF like Britt, Bleys, BOU, or Unne posted a good-bye thread. It's a completely different matter, however, when *~CloudSkwall69~* posts something along the lines of "I've only been here for eight days, but I feel like that magic has gone out EoFF and it's just not fun anymore. So I'm leaving forever, of course." And then, two weeks later, as if by clockwork: "Ah okay sorry I'm back LOL."

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2002, 07:39 AM
Plus, people (especially during the summer) would make threads announcing that they'd be gone on for a week or two on vacation. Eventually, you couldnt go one day without seeing these types of thread pop up and it got really annoying, especially when they started telling us that they would be gone for 3 or 4 days. :P
I think I speak for all of us when I say that we can do without these types of threads.

mystic ice cube
07-09-2002, 01:45 AM
I don't really know why, besides that is may lead to spam or flaming....I have no clue *shrug*

Zypher
07-09-2002, 04:55 AM
Pretty much what everyone else said. People used them to cry out for attention, then 'changed' their decision to leave.
I think the staff allows the occasional "I'm leaving" thread to be posted and remain open, but the starter of said thread has to be someone whose departure would affect everybody on the forums (e.g., a moderator or an administrator) or someone who's really earned it by rocking hard enough (e.g., people like Shlup, Spatvark, and myself, not that any of us is leaving in the near future as far as I know).You're right, Man, even if not that modest. :p

Shlup
07-10-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by mystic ice goddess
I don't really know why, besides that is may lead to spam or flaming....I have no clue *shrug* Maybe you would if you read the posts before yours with the answer. :exdee:

Basically, what everyone else said explains my understanding. It really bugs me when people post an "Oh, I just have too much going on in my life for EoFF, and it's lost it's charm, so goodbye forever," and then they come back, no matter how long it's been. I'd just like all of those people to know that you're dead to me, you filthy liar. *nod*

Zypher
07-10-2002, 03:54 AM
It really bugs me when people post an "Oh, I just have too much going on in my life for EoFF, and it's lost it's charm, so goodbye forever," and then they come back, no matter how long it's been. I'd just like all of those people to know that you're dead to me, you filthy liar. *nod*Remind me never to use the word 'forever' if I decide to leave.

Del Murder
07-10-2002, 04:20 AM
I thought the summer goodbyes thread we have in GC was a good idea. I'm actually interested in knowing when members come and go on breaks but I understand that giving each their own thread would create clutter. The matter was handled nicely.

Ifrit's Bodyguard
07-10-2002, 02:49 PM
It is a good question though becasue someone who is leaving wouldn't really care if their thread got closed. Suppose there is nohing you can do though.

Cz
07-11-2002, 08:41 PM
When I took a 'vacation' for a couple of weeks, I simply changed my Custom Rank to something appropriate. Sometimes it's a little harsh on people, being unable to say their goodbyes publicly. But I suppose that more people abused leaving threads than those who genuinely left.

Citizen Bleys
07-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
I know I wouldn't object if a valued member of EoFF like Britt, Bleys, BOU, or Unne posted a good-bye thread.

Actually, my last "goodbye" thread, when I went on my LOA, was promptly closed, even though I thought it deserved mention so that my PM inbox wouldn't be flooded with people wanting name changes who'd be very cranky with me, all because they didn't know that I wasn't around to read them.

For some reason, I thought *you* were the one that closed it, but maybe I'm just farked in the head.

The Man
07-12-2002, 06:12 PM
<table><tr><td bgcolor=#204962><font size=5 color=38E897>OOC:</font></td><td><font color=38E897 size=2>Actually, it was Daryl who closed it after another moderator mentioned that it kinda went against policy. That other moderator wasn't Kishi; it may have been crono_logical, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I felt an exception should have been made for your thread, but woteva.</font></td></tr></table><font color=38E897>
Peace
The Man

crono_logical
07-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I still think an announcement would have been more suitable than a thread, seeing as you knew you'd probably be back someday anyway ;)

Shlup
07-13-2002, 10:09 AM
I agree that staff-leaving-sorta-things are announcement worthy. You guys don't take advantage of the announcements nearly enough. Why is the signature thread still there anyway? Just make an announcement.