PDA

View Full Version : DLL errors...

Rampala
06-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Last I remember Dynamic Link Library files are nothing but a pain in the arse...

Anyhow,
I've been having major problems with Windows lately, and every time I get an error it's a DLL. The most frustrating is when I can't run games because DirectX can't find a file that's there... *grumbles*

My friend suggested that I reinstall windows, but windows came with the computer, all I have is a restore disk. But, I know DLL's can be commonly problematic, so before I go burning down the Bastille, I thought I'd ask you lovely people for some help?

Any Suggestions on DLL Errors?

crono_logical
06-22-2002, 09:29 PM
If the error only occurs when trying to use DirectX, try reinstalling it or downloading a newer version and installing that, that should fix it's files.

Rampala
06-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical
If the error only occurs when trying to use DirectX, try reinstalling it or downloading a newer version and installing that, that should fix it's files.

Done it about 3 times.

Here's the more specific error I'm looking at for the moment. It's whenever I run Starcraft I get this message:

"Starcraft was unable to find the file "ddraw.dll", which is a component of Microsoft DirectX. Please run the program "SETUP.EXE" on the Starcraft CD-ROM and install Microsoft DirectX (i've done that serveral times)

~tech support info~

and finally:
"The error encountered while trying to initialize DirectX was:
A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization rountine failed.
vidinimo_PC.cpp line 113
LoadLibrary"

Dr Unne
06-22-2002, 10:08 PM
ddraw is Direct Draw, right? Reinstalling the latest version of DirectX should fix it, I thought. Make sure it's the latest version. I'm not sure what the latest version is at the moment actually, but Windows' site shouldn't have anything for download but the latest version.

You didn't get a Windows CDROM with your computer? That's really not good at all. That's something you absolutely need. Not just for reinstalling the whole OS, but sometimes if you add new hardware you need the CD for drivers too.

Squally Leonharty
06-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Let's sum this up:

DirectX => http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/drx81.asp

Reinstalling Windows, without CD => C:\Windows\Options\CABS\ <--- That's almost a whole CD, you can burn it if you wish.

Here you go. ;)

Rampala
06-24-2002, 05:20 AM
Thanks Squally,
I'll have to see about the reinstalling windows.
About DiretX, though, I've reinstalled the latest version (8.1) about 6 or 7 times (and I'm not exaggerating) and I still get the problem.

The thing is, one error leads to another. When I tried to open DirectX Diagnostic Tools I get an error in Kernal32.dll, of which I've also gotten errors for under Rundll32. dll and a whole bunch of other ones. I can't even do a system restore because of that darn Kernal32, much annoyance.

Yamaneko
06-24-2002, 05:24 AM
Direct Draw might also have something to do with your video card. Make sure you have the most current drivers for your video card. That might help.;)

Squally Leonharty
06-24-2002, 10:07 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask what videocard you were using. :p That could be causing it.

If you're using a nVIDIA card (which you probably do, anyway, since it's <b>so</b> common in desktop PCs), go to this place www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers.

<b>Edit:</b>

To make it easier for you:

For 9x systems (Windows 95, 98 and ME): http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x

For 2k systems (Windows 2000 and XP): http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

Download the Detonator XP drivers. Those are the drivers you need. ;)

If you're using another card, tell me, and I'll get the proper driver for you.

crono_logical
06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
...unless you're uning WinXP with a GeForce 2 Ultra, in which case, don't - I have that and those drivers make the machine extremely unstable for some reason :\ If they work though with thtas combination for you, I'd like to know thoguh :)

Rampala
06-25-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Squally Leonharty
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask what videocard you were using. :p That could be causing it.

If you're using a nVIDIA card (which you probably do, anyway, since it's <b>so</b> common in desktop PCs), go to this place www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers.

Yup,
I have an NVIDIA and I've already updated it.

Turns, I did some messing around online last night, and the problem was a line was missing from the [boot] section of "system.ini", so I added it and it seems to have corrected everything. No more DLL's errors, my sound card is working again, and so it Starcraft.

Problem now, is, FF8 is acting up. Whenever I open it, it goes to a black screen (as if it were starting) then it blinks, and goes back to my desktop as if nothing happened. I messed with the graphic acceleration, but that doesn't seem to be the cause. Any suggestions?

crono_logical
06-25-2002, 02:40 AM
Try software mode? FF8 wasn't too stable on my GeForce 2 card a few years back :p