PDA

View Full Version : The Knights Who Say *******

Garland
06-25-2002, 04:04 AM
I was messing around with my custom rank earlier, and being Garland, I thought "Evil Knight" would be fitting. However, it came to be Evil ******. I realized it was so that noone could claim to be a Cid's Knight without earning it. But is it necessary to blank both word's individually? If it is, that's no big deal, as this isn't a huge issue. I was just thinking of all those people who might want to be Cid's Friend, or Evil Knight, for example. Maybe just censor the whole title? Good idea, bad idea?

The Man
06-25-2002, 04:07 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I like it. Of course, it doesn't directly affect me at all, since I don't have a custom rank, but still. :) I s'pose the current censorship is due to it being impossible to have the whole phrase get blanked out. Is it?

Well, whatever. I always wondered why no one used the word "Knight" in their ranks. Hm... yep. :D

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

Dr Unne
06-25-2002, 04:17 AM
If you wanted you could talk to an Admin and they could override the filter for you.

Yamaneko
06-25-2002, 04:43 AM
You can't use HTML or VB code in your custom rank can you?
*checks*

Well it says you can't use HTML. Does this mean you can you use VB code? I'll try it.

Edit: Nope you can't. Sorry. You should just do what Unne said and ask one of the admins, they probably would let you as long as you don't use "Cid's Knights" or other.

Shlup
06-25-2002, 09:47 AM
That filter seems a bit useless now that "Cid's Knight" is displayed in blue. *shrug*

Griever
06-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Alpha put down Sid's Night. Do you need the "k"?

The Man
06-25-2002, 04:30 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>"Evil Night" doesn't ring quite the same bell that "Evil Knight" does. Of course, Garland could just follow his Monty Python-French impulses and write "Evil Ka-nig-hit," but that would seem silly.

But yes, I agree with Shlup. Even if "Cid's Knight" weren't blue, it's also not in bold like custom ranks are. I guess there's the possibility for people to get confused, but in that case, I don't see why the phrase "Cid's Knight" couldn't be blanked out, rather than the individual words. Besides, if someone actually used "Cid's Knight" in their custom rank, I'm sure an administrator could change it easily.

Peace
The Man

crono_logical
06-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I don't think you can censor phrases, only words or word fragments, because I think vB uses the space as a delimiter between words. :)

I'd check to be certain, but php seems to have goofed up on my PC since I moved and changed IP, and I don't know what to fix ;_;

The Man
06-25-2002, 05:30 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>A question, then: If phrases can't be censored, do both "Cid's" and "Knight" really need to be censored? I think only one needs to be censored, really, and my vote goes for "Cid's. " Much as I like Cid, more people will want to be using "Knight" in their titles, I think.

Still, like Shlup and I said, I don't think it matters at all since the Cid's Knight titles are in blue and non-bolded. And besides, admins can simply request that people not use that title if it's viewed as that much of a problem, and they can easily change the title of anyone who attempts to use it, I think. But woteva; it's not my choice.

Peace
The Man

Shira
06-25-2002, 06:06 PM
I don't understand why "Cid's Knight" is censored in the first place. I mean, then why is "Banned" or "On Probation" allowed?

Griever
06-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Evil Night, i think has a good ring to it. It's not a crappy version of Knight. It's just the night. Tis evil.
Anyway, The Man's right. Sean's is already quite different with the font changes and the like. I don't thnk there is a need for the banning of the words from the custom title altogether.

Loony BoB
06-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Any random person could see the title 'Cid's Knight' under a name and go to them for help. Think of the newbies - not everyone thinks 'Hold on, I haven't noted that the colour isn't blue'.

I do however think Knight could be uncensored. But not Admin or Cid's. *nods*

Griever
06-25-2002, 09:20 PM
You're a Newbie. Aren't you BoB? :D

Calliope
06-25-2002, 10:26 PM
i still think t-r-o-u-t and p-e-a-c-e should be uncensored too. *nots*

The Man
06-26-2002, 12:10 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Oh, but Nicky, they already are.

And yeah. I agree with BoB.

Trout
Peace
The Man

Edgar
06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Try Night Blade. (a type of mage/assasin)

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Thank-you for bringing this issue to my attention.

To quote the Admin control panel:

Type all words you want censored in the field below. Do not use commas to separate words, just use spaces. For example, type "dog cat boy", rather than "dog, cat, boy." If you type "dog", all words containing the string "dog" would be censored (dogma, for instance, would appear as "***ma"). To censor more accurately, you can require that censors occur only for exact words. You can do this by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying "dog" in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as "***". Thus your censor list may appear as: cat {dog} {barn} barn
Do not use quotation marks and make sure you use curly braces, not parentheses, when specifying exact words

"Cid's Knight", "On Probation", and "Recognized Member" are now within curly braces, so "knight" should work now; I'm creating a dummy account to test it right now.

And yes, as The Man has pointed out, Trout and Peace are now uncensored. The censorship field is totally blank, as God intended.

Garland
06-28-2002, 05:48 AM
Well as you can see, I currently have no custom rank. I went to change it, and was rewarded with the usual thank you for updating screen, but with one unhealthy addition, which, after a million tries, I managed to copy in time before the screen auto changes.

Warning: REG_EPAREN in /home/virtual/site10/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/functions.php on line 972

If that means anything to anyone who cares, I can't get any custom rank to appear now. All entries are met with that, followed by a blank space in the rank location.

Citizen Bleys
06-28-2002, 02:10 PM
*sigh* this is happening to everyone since the 2.2.6 upgrade ><

Tell me what title you want, and I'll put it in through the admin control panel.

EDIT: Actually, I may have it figured out. Try one more time before you PM me.

The Man
06-28-2002, 02:12 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I want "Evil Rabite." :exdee:

Peace

Citizen Bleys
06-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by The Man
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I want "Evil Rabite." :exdee:

Peace

><

You know, I *almost* thought you'd been here for the 8 months and went and did that. I don't think it would have made anyone on Staff angry, but a few regular members who've been waiting for their custom titles would have fried me alive.

The Man
06-28-2002, 02:16 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Sorry, Bleys. :\ I didn't say I should have it. ;)

Garland wants "Evil Knight", by the way. And I wouldn't mind having my registration date changed to March 13, 1972, just because I'm sick of having 31 posts per day. *nod* Of course, if this would get me a custom rank early and make people very, very angry, I understand. O_o

Peace
The Man

Citizen Bleys
06-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Don't see *why* it would make people all that angry, but meh.