PDA

View Full Version : Summer Threads

Griever
06-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Undoubtedly, there are going to be a few people away for the summer (including me :D) So if there's just the one Summer Goodbye Thread, and everyone who's off just reply in there....?

Don't mind me.

Shira
06-25-2002, 04:04 PM
That's a good idea. A lot of people will be leaving in the summer, and restricted to one thread, it'll keep there from being too many threads.

Actually, I like this idea so much I'm for it for making I'm leaving/I'm back threads legal in general. We could make a summer, winter, fall and spring one (beause the threads would get too full after a while) and sticky them during the time they're being used, then after the season ends we unsticky them.

Loony BoB
06-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Not a bad idea, imho. *nods* I still reckon we should be able to have some kinda ability to put it onto the calendar, but chances are, that would require much hacking and moderating.

The Man
06-25-2002, 07:14 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Pfft. How much hacking would that require? You sticky the thread. Then when it's done, you close it and unsticky it, and maybe move it to some archive for old threads like said closed thread. I don't think that'd be too hard.

And yes, I think it's an excellent idea. That way we could keep track of who was there and who was away quite easily, without having to seek out a siggied post to see "I'm away from Date X to Date Y." I think perhaps that, if we made that thread, we should disallow "Welcome back" posts there, however, as allowing them would easily make the thread get larger than a blue whale very quickly.

But yeah. I support the idea.

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

Griever
06-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Ok, I'm just gonna go ahead and do it...and if it gets closed, well then it gets closed. If i get banned, well then i'll cry for years.

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2002, 08:04 PM
The Staff's reputation isn't THAT bad, is it? Banned for posting a single nonoffensive thread? Not bloody likely.

Anyways, I'm sort of against a mass "Goodbye" thread for the simple reason that it would get huge.

Remember the big downtime yesterday? It was only supposed to be for five minutes, but long threads (3 pages or more) caused the server to time out, forcing a manual restart of the search index build. Threads like "The FF7 ABCs" acutally caused some real harm yesterday. If there weren't so dratted many of *them*, maybe I would have been able to finish the index before I went to school, and the forums at least wouldn't have been down all freaking day.

I'm not saying ban game threads like that entirely...(actually, one of the threads it took the longest to reindex was Kefka Eden's fanfic, and I CERTAINLY don't propose doing away with that kind of post!)...I'm just not comfortable with creating even more of them than get made already.