PDA

View Full Version : HTML Help!

Rampala
06-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Help Please, this is quite frustrating...

I want to insert a intra-page jump in my website. (I.E. you click a link on the top and it might take you halfway down the page, or all the way to the bottom, etc.)

The problem is, I'm using a free sever (i.e. angelfire) and it's no agreeing with me. I'm using the code:
(the < and > are replaced with ^ so you can view the code)

^A HREF="#jump"^ Click Me ^/a^

^A NAME="jump"^

However, whenever you click the jump link it takes you back to the main page. Understandable enough, i insert the whole web address so it stays on this page. However, this time when I click, it doesn't jump down the page at all, but it does reset without the background and some of the text. Annoyance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crono_logical
06-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Try using a closing anchor tag for the second one (doesn't necessarily have to span anything), since anchor tags have to have both an opening and closing part. :)

The Man
06-25-2002, 05:18 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>That's odd. I don't think I ever closed my &lt;A NAME&gt; tags, and they always worked fine for me.

Actually, it sounds like you're using frames. If so, then you need to set a target for your &lt;A HREF&gt; tag, as in &lt;A HREF="http://meh" target="blarg"&gt;, but I can't remember how you set different portions of the frames as targets. Anyhoo, if you have it link to the appropriate section of your window, it shouldn't do all that funky stuff it's currently doing.

I haven't built web pages with frames in ages, though. I use tables for everything I used to use frames for. I can't remember any frame-related specifics, so someone else will have to help you there. And my above paragraph was as un-confusing as I could make it, too.

Oh, and to get the HTML commands to display, you can just use &amp;lt; for &lt; and &amp;gt; for &gt;.

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

Squally Leonharty
06-25-2002, 07:25 PM
I might as well quote something from HTML Goodies (out of the top of my head):

Close every single tag, regardless what the type is. Only the following tags don't need to be closed:

&lt;br&gt; &lt;p&gt; &lt;hr&gt;

Which means you still have to close the &lt;a name="jump"&gt; tag with &lt;/a&gt;
I always do that, and it has worked perfectly. I suggest you to do that too. That way you'll be 100% sure the tag is working properly.

crono_logical
06-25-2002, 08:20 PM
You don't close IMG tags either, although in vB you do, which can be confusing :)

You don't close PARAM or META tags either :p

I'm sure I could come up with more given time :D

Squally Leonharty
06-26-2002, 09:35 AM
Alright, alright. There are more, but if you use the A tag, it always needs to be closed, such as A HREF. The HREF part is just an addition, and it gets closed with /A.

That means A NAME should be closed too, since it's another A tag. I always do it like this:

&lt;a href="#go"&gt;Go to "Let's go!"&lt;/a&gt;

Bla bla bla

Bla Bla Bla

&lt;a name="go"&gt;Let's go!&lt;/a&gt;

That always works for me. :p

Rampala
07-01-2002, 05:07 PM
I'd tried closing the tag before, but, I did it a little differently. But thanks Squally, I did it your way, and it worked like a charm. *Yay*

However, my background still disappears in the page jump. The backgrounds fixed, could that have something to do with it? ~annoyance~ any suggestions?