PDA

View Full Version : Signatures.

The Man
06-29-2002, 12:37 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>They're getting too tall again, and it's really starting to bug me. How should we deal with it when things like this happen? Shall I inform administrators or post names in this thread? Wyll's thread got closed...

Yes, I know that disabling signatures is an option in our forum profile, but I happen to like certain members' signatures too much to part with the thrill of being able to see said signatures. Besides, the sigs are supposed to be under 250 pixels or so in height, and a horrendous number of them aren't.

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

Yamaneko
06-29-2002, 12:48 AM
Have you asked one of the admins if they could put a limit on the sig size like there's a limit on the avatar size? If they can't do it, next best way is to inform a mod or admin that a members sig is too big and I think they'll gladly remove it or inform them to remove it within a certain period of time.

The Man
06-29-2002, 12:51 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Yes, I suppose. This signature limit is just another thing like the spoiler tag -- something that all members should know about, but which many members either don't know about or choose to ignore.

I'm not sure what can be done about it. I don't want to have to keep PMing adminstrators about people's sigs being too large, because then I'll feel like a... dunno, really, but it won't feel right. I also know they don't like changing signatures themselves -- they'd much rather have users change their sigs by their own choices.

I dunno. I think something should be done, but I have no idea what "something" is.

Peace
The Man<FONT COLOR=38E897>

LH
06-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Perhaps signatures could be earned the way custom ranks are. This way you'll know that those who have them are quite familiar with forum demeanor.

The Man
06-29-2002, 01:12 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>That might be a good idea, but then you'd no longer be able to see my nifty jumping Rabites. Besides, there are plenty of people with custom ranks whose signatures are far too long anyway.

Peace
The Man

Bahamut2000X
06-29-2002, 01:14 AM
I assume mine is too large. But then again when ever I go on to EoFF the letters for me have somehow gotten about 3 times larger then what they should be so my perspective on my sig is different. But I agree with you The Man.

The Man
06-29-2002, 01:17 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Use the &lt;FONT SIZE=1&gt; tag at the beginning of your sig and the &lt;/FONT&gt; tag at the end and I think everything will be fine, Bahamut. It's not how much text is in there but rather how much space the text takes up. Yop. Also changing the double line breaks between your points and your BADON statement to single line breaks will save some space.

Peace
The Man

Citizen Bleys
06-29-2002, 01:40 AM
If you see a .sig restriction violator, feel free to PM myself or Scottie.

I know we have the "do not display .sigs" option, but like The Man said, some .sigs are too good NOT to display, and the rules are the rules, and they will be enforced.

Ifrit's Bodyguard
06-29-2002, 06:35 PM
How then do you tell wether your sig is 250 pixles or not, if there is both an image and text or whatever.

The Man
06-29-2002, 06:41 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E987>Take a screenshot (Alt-PrtScr in Windows, or Shift-Ctrl-Apple-F3 on a Macintosh) and open it in a program that can tell you what screen dimension you're using. I believe that the judged dimensions are applied when the default forum font is ten-point Verdana.

And yes, the 250-pixel dimension applies to both text and images, and this is with a maximum of 500 pixels width (adjust your browser window if it's larger than 500 pixels wide and you're using text). I believe that your signature is okay, but let's not turn this into a thread asking if signatures are okay, since that's what got the last similar thread closed. I'll leave it to the staff to suggest what one might do without a manner in which to verify one's signature's acceptability, but I believe that you will probably be notified in any case if your signature is too large.

You are also prohibited from using Macromedia/Shockwave/Flash apps in your signature, and the total size of all images in your signature is not allowed to exceed 50k. (My sig is okay because the rabites on the bottom are actually filtered versions of the rabites on the top, therefore making the total image size slightly less than 30k). While we're at it, I'd also like the motion to prohibit the embedding of audio files in one's signature, even though such things have never been used yet. It's bad enough when random sites I'm browsing feel it necessary to blast my eardrums out with their unexpected midi files; if that happens on the fora too, I will be most displeased.

Peace
The Man <FONT SIZE=2>

crono_logical
06-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Alternatively, grab this nifty attachment here and run it - it'll give the screen coorinates of your mouse cursor, so you can just move from one spot to the next and work out the distance in pixels :) Also features saying the colour of the pixel your mouse is over as well, in RGB (decimal or Hex) and/or HSB and CMYK format. :p

Sakura Yume
07-03-2002, 12:18 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>*agrees with just about everything* Big oversized sigs bug me... I wonder what size mine is with text... *checks*