PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rank Tourney

Del Murder
07-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Have we had one of these? I absolutely love the screen name tourneys that Proto has and I though this would be fun to do. I'd like to run it but my internet connection isn't too solid right now (ie. shuts down for random long periods of time). But if you guys like the idea then I could do it from school sometime.

I'm thinking about using Proto's group method and having 30-35 contestants, who:

A. Have a custom rank
B. Have over 100 posts
C. I recognize their name
D. I take the rank they have when the contest starts

The voting would last 2-3 days. But I'll only do it if I get people who participate! We've had some great ideas like the Decathalon that have been shut down because people didn't vote. So tell me if you'd like the idea and if you'd participate in voting.

Garland
07-01-2002, 08:09 AM
If you ran it, and I was a participant, I'd vote.

Shlup
07-01-2002, 09:33 AM
I don't like competitions for things that can be easily changed (ie, this).

Whatever floats yer boat though.

Nait
07-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Too fast. Save it for later.

crono_logical
07-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Yep, leave it for a few weeks or something, then just start it unannouned - that way people can't change their rank specifically for the game. :) And I'm sure people would participate anyway, just like all these other contests, just need the few weeks off to let the current competition hype cool down a bit :p

I don't think you really need to ask about whether someone's rank can be used or not, I doubt Proto asked everyone in the screen name contest if their screen name could be entered - I know I wasn't asked :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-01-2002, 02:36 PM
Custom ranks change too often for this sort of thing. After a screenname contest, the winner can go on to say, "I have a winning name!" but after a custom rank contest, he could only look forward to saying, "I had a winning rank...a few months ago."

Del Murder
07-02-2002, 03:23 AM
You guys make some excellent points and I appreciate the feedback. Kishi and Shlup, I know that it may be silly to have a contest for something that changes quickly but that's what makes it so good. With the screen name tourneys we get the same old names again and again and every time I just end up voting for the same people. This makes it less fun each time we have one. With a rank tourney, the entrants will be the same people but have different entries so that it fresh each time we do it.

Also it will give everybodya an equal opprotunity to win each time. Black Ninja or Red Wizard will never win a screen name tournament yet they still get entered. With this kind of game everyone will have an equal chance to do well.

Nait and cl, I see your point and if I do decide to hold it I'll do so when there are no contests floating around. Also I don't want this to look like a ripoff of Proto's contest (even though it is). I'll try and find a way to do it so that it looks less like a sn contest.

What I really want is to know if/how many people will vote, but I don't think enough members visit this forum to get that data. The sn contests always get voters but then again it's ran by Proto who has a lot of respect and credibility round here. I lack that.

<i>Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi</i>
<b>Custom ranks change too often for this sort of thing. After a screenname contest, the winner can go on to say, "I have a winning name!" but after a custom rank contest, he could only look forward to saying, "I had a winning rank...a few months ago."</b>
Perhaps, but that rank will be immortalized forever in the List of Best Ranks Ever (working title) and it's fun to reminisce about those things. Or maybe you're just scared that someone will take your title away!

Agent Proto
07-02-2002, 03:25 AM
I say go for it. If you're short on ranks, I guess you can include more than one custom rank entry for one person. I guess.

Garland
07-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Definately go for it. What do you have to lose? Let's say people change for the contest. The rest of us still get a kick out of all the new (and probably quite good) custom ranks. The screen name tourney produced such humor as Space Man Alf. Who knows what might happen now? Besides, everyone seems to like these sorts of things - contests that is. My only suggestion is to hold it in General Chat, like the rest of them.

crono_logical
07-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Del Bond
What I really want is to know if/how many people will vote, but I don't think enough members visit this forum to get that data. The sn contests always get voters but then again it's ran by Proto who has a lot of respect and credibility round here. I lack that.
Doesn't really matter, we can sticky your contest thread or something so it does get noticed. ;)

Nait
07-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Maybe it would work as "The person who comes up with good custom ranks?" :choc: Rather than just a custom-rank.

We can always save old custom-ranks into some sort of archive. :) If they're good.

Alpha
07-02-2002, 05:13 PM
I'd love to see a custom rank contest. I wanna see if i'd get anywhere with mine.

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
07-02-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by crono_logical

Doesn't really matter, we can sticky your contest thread or something so it does get noticed. ;)

That would be good c_l but remember Red Wizards "Decathlon" thing, that was stickied and flunked after the fourth event.

This is different though and is something most people will be interested in, so you may as well go for it Del. Good luck with it if you do go ahead.

Ifrit's Bodyguard
07-03-2002, 11:22 PM
I think it's a good idea you should deffinatly go ahead with it, even though I don't get mine for another TWO MONTHS[/subtle hint]

Shlup
07-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Before you go and listen to LD, Del, just remember how he proved you W-R-O-N-G. Tsk tsk.

I say you do it next week and get it over with. I'll win, you realize. No contest.

Cz
07-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Perhaps you could divide it into rounds, with qualifiers entering a new rank for each round?

This would encourage creativity during the contest. It would also mean that a person would win, rather than a rank, with a member attatched to it.

Fine. I'll just sit here in the corner...till anybody needs me.

Del Murder
07-10-2002, 04:24 AM
Aww, I'm listening. Maybe I could give people the option of changing or leaving it alone. Or maybe I'll just tell them to leave it alone.

I haven't decided whether or not to do it. Honestly I think it'll be fun to do a contest, but I'm not at all conviced that anyone will participate. We'll find out when I get back from Korea!

CloudDragon
07-12-2002, 04:21 AM
<font color=22E477>Well, I know I would participate and many others would too. Silly Del, many would participate, I say it is a fun and good idea.