PDA

View Full Version : Pop up Windows

Lionx
07-04-2002, 04:57 AM
I would like it if you guys have a little less pop up windows of commercials if it is possible, it wasnt like this before but recently, there has been alot and sometimes caused my browser to crash. So can you guys have less comercials that pop up?

Shlup
07-04-2002, 10:51 AM
I believe the ads are due to the forums server and not any of the staff. The server keeps having to put a lot of ads because this place takes up so much bandwith.

There is this "Answer Right and Get a BOUNS!" window that just keeps popping up though. I have five of that window open right now, two of another one, and one of another one. Is there anything that can be done about that, outside of getting a pop-up killing program?

Oh, and while I'm at it, any one got any good recomendations for a free ad-killer program?

crono_logical
07-04-2002, 11:59 AM
www.panicware.com

My favourite pop-up stopper :p As for ad killers, I don't really like them since they never block all as so you still get some when you don't expect it.

If you're feeling adventerous as far as editing Windows settings are, there's something called a HOSTS file which you can edit, I add the names of all ad servers I come across into there (one by one, by hand unfortunately) and make them point to my own PC, so ads from many larger servers never get loaded now since Windows on my PC permanently looks in the wrong place for them (including adserver.gamesquad.net :p )

Ifrit's Bodyguard
07-04-2002, 01:32 PM
I agree with Chrono, the panicware pop-up stopper kills about 95% of the pop-ups you get, I've been using it for a couple of months and I think its great.

The Man
07-04-2002, 05:04 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>There was a thread about pop-ups <FONT COLOR="#00FFE8" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Over="this.color='#BFFFFA';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Out="this.color='#00FFE8';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Down="this.color='#BFFFFA';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Up="this.color='#00FFE8';">here</FONT> (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17539).

Yeah, they're annoying, but there's really nothing we can do about them. I remove the "Group Similar Windows" setting from my start menu and right-click on pop-ups as soon as they appear, killing them before they have the slightest chance to survive. It works for me.

Peace
The Man<FONT SIZE=2>

LOCKE 54
07-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Out of pure spite, I have henceforth resolved to never buy any product advertised via pop-up ads. Even if it's something worthwhile. Pop-up ads are the most annoying thing on the internet today.

The Man
07-04-2002, 11:06 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I personally think junk e-mail is worse than pop-up ads, but only by a hair's breadth. Thankfully, the flurry of pop-up ads on the fora only lasts for a few days at a time, and it only comes around once every month or two.

Peace
The Man

mystic ice cube
07-09-2002, 01:38 AM
I hardly get those pop-up, but when I do, it gets annoying >_<

Zypher
07-09-2002, 04:51 AM
*shrugs*

I too, simply use the right-click/destroy before birth method of killing the pop-up. As long as you never go with the uppercut, you'll be fine.

*is clueless*

Lionx
07-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Pop up Stopper doesnt work. I just had one in reply to this thread....:(

Yamaneko
07-13-2002, 09:17 AM
We could pay to stop the ads by paying to remove them, that's what my brothers BOARD (www.mindphaser.com) did(ezboard), but it would cost a lot to maintain a site with such high bandwith.