PDA

View Full Version : I have a suggestion for those who are responsible in here...

sniff_381
07-15-2002, 07:57 AM
hi peeps! I'm some kind of a new member in here (only in here)...

as we all know... this vBulletin forums has great features... I suggest that making new features would be good... If you'll se the Forum in Next Gen Emulation site... <--- www.ngemu.com ---> it's forum section is the best that I can find on the world wide web... having a feature that there is stars whenever you'll have this number of posts...

e.g.
15 posts= one star
50 posts= two stars
150 posts= three stars... and so on...

or maybe being able customize this

Sniff_381
bla.. bla... whatever.. <--- this one

and last thing, being able to see the new posts already without having to look for them... <-- if you didn't understand this one... go here (http://www.emuforums.com)

Eternal Sphere
07-15-2002, 08:11 AM
and last thing, being able to see the new posts already without having to look for them... <-- if you didn't understand this one... go here
You mean this (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=getnew)?

or maybe being able customize this

Sniff_381
bla.. bla... whatever.. <--- this one
There is a customizable rank where you can type anything you want into it but you can only get it if you have registered here for at least 8 months. Unless you mean something else totally different.

sniff_381
07-15-2002, 08:36 AM
8 months??? that's quite a long time... and about that... sorry I didn't see... but how bout the avatars???? why so small??? maybe can post much bigger (size or pixels) something like 80x80 and about 20 kb... 5 kb is so small... can't post gif....

sniff_381
07-15-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Sphere

There is a customizable rank where you can type anything you want into it but you can only get it if you have registered here for at least 8 months. Unless you mean something else totally different.

rank??? can it be something else??? what if the rank is indicated by some balls or stars??? number of stars??? number of balls?? and not that... that customizable ranks as you said can be just a customizable description of self...

I also suggest to see the number of posts the user had...

Sniff_381
bla..bla..

(avatar in here)

Zypher
07-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Putting a rank with a person's name, or putting the post number, seems to inspire a lot of spam.

As for the small avatar sizes...some people have slow connections, so that works better for 'em. Can't you just take out some colors or something, anyway? *has no idea what he's talking about*

Oh, and don't double post. Use the 'edit' button.

sniff_381
07-15-2002, 09:08 AM
I know... I just don't want it to be too long... Spammers??? why??? I didn't got this one??? what does spammers got to do with the one I suggested?

Zypher
07-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Don't worry about the length of the post :).
Spammers??? why??? I didn't got this one??? what does spammers got to do with the one I suggested?When rank is inspired by number of posts, some people decide to spam to get their rank up. Even when it's just a number under your name, people get worked up about it. That's just how people are. *shrug*
that customizable ranks as you said can be just a customizable description of self... You can put whatever the hell you want in your custom rank, as long as it's relatively appropriate (I don't know; the admins draw the line with this one) and under 25 characters. No HTML/vB code, either. ;)

Spatvark
07-15-2002, 09:56 AM
It goes like this:

A post count is by definition a count of all the posts a person has made. Showing how many each member has leads to a certain type of member spamming like mad... think Alpha male theory: The Alpha is the top of his society. He has breeding rights. And he will viciously bitchslap anyone who threatens his position. He will do whatever it takes to keep his rivals in a non-Alpha status. They're threats to his position - to his right to spread his genes.

Basically, showing post counts clearly encourages those more primordial members to think that getting a really high post count is important and thus, to get as high a post count as they can, they spam

It really isn't that difficult to comprehend...

crono_logical
07-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by sniff_381
and last thing, being able to see the new posts already without having to look for them...

There's a View New Posts button near the bottom of the front page that will show you all new posts since you last logged on. I personally don't like it though, since as this board is so large, it'll give several hundred results at times, too much for me to sift through :)

Zypher
07-15-2002, 03:47 PM
It goes like this:

A post count is by definition a count of all the posts a person has made. Showing how many each member has leads to a certain type of member spamming like mad... think Alpha male theory: The Alpha is the top of his society. He has breeding rights. And he will viciously bitchslap anyone who threatens his position. He will do whatever it takes to keep his rivals in a non-Alpha status. They're threats to his position - to his right to spread his genes.

Basically, showing post counts clearly encourages those more primordial members to think that getting a really high post count is important and thus, to get as high a post count as they can, they spam

It really isn't that difficult to comprehend...
Damn, Spat's showed me up again....

*kills Spat and assumes the Alpha position*

Loony BoB
07-15-2002, 05:48 PM
*chuckles quietly at the irony of it all*

Spatvark
07-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Eh? You accusin' me of being a mad spammer?! Waah! I'm not a spammer! If that was Aaron who'd said that, it'd be ironic... *notes this is spam*

Whoops...

Zypher
07-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Eh? You accusin' me of being a mad spammer?! Waah! I'm not a spammer! If that was Aaron who'd said that, it'd be ironic... *notes this is spam*

Whoops... We can just pretend you're him. You're both very alike, really :p.

crono_logical
07-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
*chuckles quietly at the irony of it all*

*joins in* :D

And please stop spamming this thread up too.

Anyway, I doubt we'll ever see a post-based rank system at these forums. :)

Zypher
07-15-2002, 07:08 PM
And please stop spamming this thread up too.Frankly, I think it's pretty much already gone to hell in a handbasket (stupid saying, really....).

*waits for it to be closed*

Dr Unne
07-15-2002, 07:11 PM
We used to have something very vaguely similar to the "put stars under people's name", except it was just to tell Mods and Admins from everyone else. Mods got a little crown or something, Admins got 2, I can't remember. We're not going to do anything like that again, I'm guessing. Not with post counts either. We really don't like people to worry about their post counts all the time. Not at all.

Anyways, yeah. Sweet, sweet irony.

The Man
07-15-2002, 07:16 PM
<font color=38e897><blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:</font><hr color=38E897><font size=1>Originally posted by Spatvark</font>
If that was Aaron who'd said that, it'd be ironic... *notes this is spam*<hr color=38E897></blockquote>Hey, I resent that. I'm not the one who's spamming up this thread...

Oh, crap. This is spam too. *runs away*

Anyway, yeah. What everyone said is pretty much true. I luvluv my post count, but I don't want post counts to appear under our avatars. It would make this place way too class-based and newbie un-friendly if we had post counts. This place is so big that it's intimidating to newbies in any case, and we don't need more of that stuff.

Peace
Darth Manly<FONT SIZE=2>

Citizen Bleys
07-15-2002, 11:22 PM
*head explodes from reading 16,000 consecutive question marks and double posts from Mr. Newbie-san*