PDA

View Full Version : 0 Posts?! O_o

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
07-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Well I was just checking my profile and my number of posts when *gasp* 0 posts per day and 0 on total! I asked Tokkiquil and she said it was the same for everyone when she looked as well... any admin know what's up with this? *looks on at Bleys, and his 30 second "maintenance" period*
Oh and noo! All that damn spamming in vain! *crie* j/k

The Man
07-19-2002, 12:55 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>The Top 25 Posters in the Memberlist no longer works either. You can sort of get an idea of how many posts someone has by doing a search for all their posts, but this discounts every post of theirs that got relegated to the Staff Forum unless you're a staff member yourself. I, for one, know that I have one post in the Staff Forum, given that I posted once in a thread that got moved there, so I currently have 4072 posts, counting this one. But... *shrug*

Oh well. Frankly, I was getting sick of being noticed only for my post count, so I don't miss them much. Although I was looking forward to overtaking 'Kishi's post count eventually, and now I won't be able to do that. That's the only disappointing thing about this removal of post counts to me.

Oh, and by the way, 'Kishi had exactly 5,000 posts when the reset happened. Talk about strange.

Here, I'm going to quote a chat between myself and Bleys. Hopefully he won't mind.

<blockquote>AaronFreedo (6:50:48 PM): Got a question: Is the removal of post counts going to be related to a soon-to-come pruning?
CitizenBleys (6:51:12 PM): no, it's related to spamwhores flooding the board with useless crap.
AaronFreedo (6:51:19 PM): Ah. Yes.
AaronFreedo (6:51:31 PM): That makes sense. Too many people seem to be obsessed with their post counts.
AaronFreedo (6:51:56 PM): The only thing related to my post count that I cared about was passing 'Kishi, but *shrug* I'll just rest assured that within a few months, I'll have probably done exactly that.
AaronFreedo (6:51:58 PM): xD
CitizenBleys (6:52:32 PM): ah, but will you *know* it... :p
AaronFreedo (6:52:38 PM): No, I won't.
*snip*
CitizenBleys (6:54:59 PM): post counts are still being stored in the database, because the server timed out on my sql query, but they're not visible anymore.
AaronFreedo (6:55:03 PM): Ah. *nod*
CitizenBleys (6:55:30 PM): I'm sure some people will raise hell, but it's for the best, in the end.</blockquote>And I agree.

Peace
Stuffed Manny<font size=2>

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
07-19-2002, 01:12 AM
I had no idea, of this "hiding post counts" thing, I just thought something was wrong in the database after Bleys did his maintenance. I'm not bothered by post counts either, I just wondered what was actually happening. Perhaps there should be an annoucement or something to let other bewildered members know too. Thanks anyway.

The Man
07-19-2002, 01:16 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>No problem. It wasn't Bleys's idea, either; I'm guessing it was Unne's, since he was always in favour of removing post counts in the first place, but Bleys was the one who figured out how to do it. I do think that many people seem to spam with the intention of raising their post count, which is a shame, especially since a pruning wouldn't have been as severely necessary if we hadn't had so bloody many posts. *shakes head*

I mean, yes, I looked at the list quite often myself, but I have a lot more time to browse the fora than most people do, so I'd guess that most of my posts wouldn't qualify as spam, though I did that from time to time. I suppose an announcement would have been nice, but I also suppose that the pruning takes precedence. Or something.

Peace

Yamaneko
07-19-2002, 01:46 AM
Good, I personally disaproved of showing post counts, since it results in spam. Although I do know more or less how many post each active member has. Good I say again, good job Bleys.

Killy
07-19-2002, 02:41 AM
It doesnt stop people from knowing the post count if they really want

The Man now has 4075 post and I didnt use the search option, Its still stored database, you just need to know how to ask (I found out how to do this earlier while I was looking for something else).

Oh and if you think Im hacking EoFF, you are WRONG, its a simple trick...

Yamaneko
07-19-2002, 03:03 AM
Do you mind telling us this simple trick, please?

The Man
07-19-2002, 03:06 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Heh, I have 4076 posts now. And I'm not telling anyone the trick, since it's better off left unmentioned. If you ask me, you shouldn't have mentioned it here in the first place, BN, because now spam whores are going to look for it and find it and possibly force poor Bleys to do another board hack.

At any rate, post counts aren't really that important. They're not explicitly displayed anywhere on the boards, and I'm glad they aren't. We don't need to be worrying about a stupid number anyway.

Peace

Yamaneko
07-19-2002, 03:09 AM
:p :p :p

It's not really a trick, but it'll work. At least there won't be that much competition going around. *sigh*

EDIT: My question is why didn't Bleys do the hack on that part, you know, because people are going to figure it out very easily. Well I guess he could do if post count competitions get out of control again.

The Man
07-19-2002, 03:12 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I don't see why it had to be mentioned here in the first place. The fewer people that know about it, the better. I actually wouldn't mind it if somebody deletes all the posts that have to do with said "trick," because it isn't necessary for people to know how to figure out their post count. It really isn't.

Peace

Killy
07-19-2002, 03:19 AM
If you want to delete my post, go ahead. The manipulation, isnt that simple and you have to search for the answer.

*Snip*

The Man
07-19-2002, 03:21 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Er, yes. I'm dumb. That's not what I was referring to, but there it is, broad as daylight. *slaps forehead*

Peace

Killy
07-19-2002, 03:26 AM
Its edited now, theres still another way, I noticed the other one later

Dr Unne
07-19-2002, 03:49 AM
You all realize of course that counting the posts from the EZBoard, the UBB and the last generation of VBB, most of the old-oldbies here have a disgustingly large number of posts that no non-old-oldbie will ever overcome. Quite likely most of the staff has at least double the post count that's displayed on this generation of the VBB. And since none of us know it for sure, no one will ever know who's "in the lead". Any competition that people are having here is sorely misguided for that reason, if not for the bajillion other reasons that worrying about your post count at all is misguided.

In any case, I find this all pretty darn immature. "Ooh, I found another way to know my post count!" Getting rid of the post counts in the first place was supposed to stop the kind of crap that's going on in this thread.

The Man
07-19-2002, 03:51 AM
<font color=38e897>Unne's right, and I personally am of the impression that as soon as Bleys (or any other administrator) figures out a way to set everyone's post count to zero permanently, it should be done. Not before I pass 'Kishi's post count though. ;D

Peace

RSL
07-19-2002, 03:57 AM
What I find sad is that people constantly check their profiles to know how many posts they have.

Killy
07-19-2002, 03:58 AM
Unne is right, but as I sad earlier, I found this before they were removed, totally by accident... Anyway, I think its a good idea, now you cand distinguish the old from the new...

The Man
07-19-2002, 03:59 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>RSL: They don't do it anymore. Muwahaha.

I only checked my count when I had nothing else to do, personally. *shrug* Oh well. Now I can't do it anymore at all. Er, I still can, but I can't check my profile to figure it out. And I sure as hell won't be able to know how many posts per day I have without doing some calculations on my own. Somehow, that makes me incredibly glad. Yep. Knowing that I had 32.01 posts per day at a given time was ridiculous. I hated it. But the temptation was always there for me to check it, and I was terrible at resisting it.

La de da.

Peace

Del Murder
07-19-2002, 05:39 AM
Let this be a lesson to all you spammers out there. Now we will never know how much spam you spread. What? Making such a big deal about post counts to actually delete them will cause a reverse psychology effect and make you spam more you say? Nah...

Next let's change all our signup dates to today.

Killy
07-19-2002, 05:51 AM
I dont thinks that a good, we would be all newbies.

Oh noo!!

i every1, I r new here how r u

Citizen Bleys
07-19-2002, 05:58 AM
Actually, I *tried* to reset everybody's postcounts to zero, but the server timed out on me. I will be trying again when there are fewer members online.

Of course, it's impossible to freeze the database so that the post count cannot be updated, but once I get the post counts set to zero, it'll be a simple matter to comment out the two lines that increment post count (one in newthread.php, one in newreply.php, and I know *exactly* where to look)

This was coming for a long time, people. I figure I'm going to take a lot of flak for this, but mindless, useless spam is *not* what EoFF is for. We want threads that there's some point in actually reading. For all else...there is Kraptastica.

Garland
07-19-2002, 06:31 AM
It seems like making all post counts 0 would make pruning dead members much more difficult. I suppose there are other ways you could still do that. Leveling the post counts sounds ok to me anyway. Is the member list still going to be labeled "Top 25 Posters", even though there'll be no way to move up in rank?

Eternal Sphere
07-19-2002, 07:41 AM
I don't see how would killing the post counter reduce spam. There is no actual prize now with getting a higher post count. There is no prize at the end of the tunnel. There is no prize in reaching the top of the mountain. I believe that this will have little or no effect on the current spam building up so far.

I believe most people here probably spam not to get post counts up, but rather it's a good environment at this forum. People are generally nice so people may make some new friends to talk to. Then when some begin to feel comfortable here, they begin to post more, interact more, even sometimes get into a different character. You should also note that this forum is also getting larger (Recently 77 members were on at the some time. Last year's previous high was 66 I believe). As long as this site stays opened, it will probably continue to thrive. New blood will come, older veterans will still come from time to time, regular members will continue to come.

I admit, I do look at my post count, and other people's as well. I also even care a little about it. Removing it is like removing part of the board away (to me it is). I'd say every forum like this one that I've visited has a post count with the member, without one just doesn't seem right.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-19-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Sphere
I don't see how would killing the post counter reduce spam. There is no actual prize now with getting a higher post count. There is no prize at the end of the tunnel. There is no prize in reaching the top of the mountain.To the spammers, being able to look at numbers next to their names that are higher than the numbers next to other people's names is a reward in itself. Post counts affect the occurrence of spam more than you think.

Yamaneko
07-19-2002, 10:25 AM
There will always be certain members though that will spam, post count or no post count.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-19-2002, 12:40 PM
That is obvious. We never said that we would abolish spam completely by eliminating post counts. It <i>helps</i>, though, so comments like that aren't going to do anything to make us change our minds.

Citizen Bleys
07-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Sphere
I'd say every forum like this one that I've visited has a post count with the member, without one just doesn't seem right.

Yes! Let's make EoFF just like every other forum on the web! That way there'd be no reason whatsoever to come here, because it would just be another spammy, craptastic clone!

The Man
07-19-2002, 07:17 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>It appears everyone's post count has actually been reset to zero now, and that's a good thing. I don't mind some kinds of spam, but the bad spam, the kind that happens just so people can watch their post counts rise and rise, is a large part of what made the pruning necessary in the first place, I'd believe, and now that there are no post counts to watch rise, there's no incentive to post bad spam anymore. Yay.

I am upset that I couldn't see myself having more posts than 'Kishi before we got rid of the post counts, but oh well. Life ain't perfect, so whatyagonnado.

And I agree with Bleys: We don't need post counts. At all. You guys'll learn to live without 'em, I guarantee it. And this is coming from a guy who has the fourth-most posts out of any user on this incarnation of the boards (after Unne, 'Kishi, and crono_logical).

Peace

Citizen Bleys
07-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Stuffed Manny
And this is coming from a guy who has the fourth-most posts out of any user on this incarnation of the boards (after Unne, 'Kishi, and crono_logical).

Peace
Stuffed Manny

*rolls eyes*

The Man
07-19-2002, 09:07 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Bleys, you'd actually be surprised at the number of people who thought I'd have been royally pissed off at the removal of post counts. Frankly, it's just the opposite; I'm overjoyed that they're gone, as I'd rather be noted for being an active contributor than be noted for a silly number in my profile (which is what often ended up happening). ;)

Peace

Amazing Telephone
07-19-2002, 10:04 PM
I dont know if anyone else said it, but the "Trick" is

<b>Edit by Kishi: Hi. Don't be dumb.</b>

The Man
07-19-2002, 10:08 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Except that there are often posts you can't see, such as ones in the Staff Forum. Who bloody cares anyway? After the pruning, those counts will be completely different, and even now they don't count posts from previous incarnations of the board either. It really doesn't matter. *shrug*

There were other "tricks," such as looking at the memberlist or looking at the HTML source of a thread view (a user's post count is commented out below hiw or her location in every thread view), but now that everyone's post count has been reset to zero, that doesn't help.

Post counts don't matter anyway. What matters is that you make good contributions to the fora.

Peace

crono_logical
07-19-2002, 10:10 PM
ooh i r l33t haxor i can still find teh postqounts, i r good 4 getting round teh system.

It's not accurate anyway, since it doesn't take into account pruned threads, deleted threads (virtually same thing), and threads in the Staff Forum whihch you guys don't have access to - it only tells you what was found currently in the database. It'll be even more inaccurate once the next big prune is done. :)

Citizen Bleys
07-20-2002, 01:05 AM
ah, you mean the whole thing was just commented out? Well, I'm in a leak-fixing mood. To the Control Panel!

Del Murder
07-20-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Ironic
<b>CitizenBleys (6:51:12 PM):</b> no, it's related to spamwhores flooding the board with useless crap.
We prefer the term 'postitutes'.

Thanks for all the laughs guys. This thread was a riot. *flees to Korea*

MecaKane
07-20-2002, 03:30 AM
Oh, I geuss you were serious. See ya, man. Good luck in Korea. :)

And I used to check my profile, sometimes. Only to see if I passed the big "1 post per day" mark. :p

Selphie
07-20-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Joaquin
I had no idea, of this "hiding post counts" thing, I just thought something was wrong in the database after Bleys did his maintenance. I'm not bothered by post counts either, I just wondered what was actually happening. Perhaps there should be an annoucement or something to let other bewildered members know too. Thanks anyway.
Bah, I though something was wrong too. *Is concerned about her post counts*:p

The Man
07-20-2002, 04:29 AM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Just for the record, to make sure that it's obvious:

<FONT SIZE=4>Everyone has a post count of zero, and so it shall remain.</FONT>

Okay, now we've cleared that out. Thank you for your attention.

Peace

Shlup
07-20-2002, 06:11 AM
I don't really care about post counts myself, but I find it rather silly that the anti-post count types seem to be the ones who are the most upset with post counts. I also find it kind of rude that post counts can be changed at will by the staff. Post counts are fun to some people, and I don't see it causeing that much spam that you can't deal with those people on an individual basis.

Sakura Yume
07-20-2002, 06:16 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>I have to say, this is a damned sweet idea! :p Down with spammers! *goes back to laughing at the thought of all the "I love my post count" people stressing over their 0 posts.*</font>

And this is coming from a guy who has the fourth-most posts out of any user on this incarnation of the boards (after Unne, 'Kishi, and crono_logical).

<font color=#AFEEEE>You don't care about your post count at all do you? [/sarcasm]</font>

Bah, I though something was wrong too. *Is concerned about her post counts*

<font color=#AFEEEE>Well, now you can learn to un-concern yourself. The fact that you are concerned could get you stuck with the label... SPAMMER! *runs for dear life*</font>

but I find it rather silly that the anti-post count types seem to be the ones who are the most upset with post counts.

<font color=#AFEEEE>I suppose I could be considered anti-post count but I ain't bothered Mandee.</font>

Amazing Telephone
07-20-2002, 06:52 AM
SQ, i know what you mean. Stuffed Manny is practically obsessed with it. He seems to be very upset.

Citizen Bleys
07-20-2002, 01:42 PM
next flame gets this thread closed, kthx.

Yamaneko
07-20-2002, 04:59 PM
I have a question Bleys, out of curiosity. Will post counts ever be brought back when the staff see's fit, or will they forever remain zero?

crono_logical
07-20-2002, 06:30 PM
They'll never come back, in their true forms anyway, due to inaccuracies previous mentioned in this thread :D

The Man
07-20-2002, 07:32 PM
<font color=38E897><blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:</font><hr color=38E897>Originally posted by Sakura Yume
<font color=#AFEEEE>You don't care about your post count at all do you? [/sarcasm]</font><hr color=38E897></blockquote>Actually, I don't. I only checked it when I was bored, kthxluvbye. My post count concerned me far less than it seemed to concern certain other users; it just so happened that I checked the Top 25 Posters list right before the counts got reset. I did like to know where I stood in relation to other users, which is the only reason I checked at all. I didn't really care about my count; I suppose I just found it amusing that I was passing so many people who'd been around for far longer than me. I was planning to reset my count to zero a few weeks after I passed 'Kishi anyway.

<blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:</font><hr color=38E897>Originally posted by TheDesertFox
Stuffed Manny is practically obsessed with it. He seems to be very upset.<hr color=38E897></blockquote>Um, sorry for the bluntness, but where the hell did you get that impression? If you'd read this thread, you'd realise I'm glad they're gone. Sometimes that was all certain people seemed to notice me for. It was getting to be a severe burden, and frankly, I got sick of being able to see how many posts I had per day anyway, because it felt like a race or something. I wasn't spamming to raise my post count, but I was judging my contibutions on the basis of how many posts per day I had.

Yes, I did care about how many posts I had. Yes, I did care about passing 'Kishi even after I came to despise post counts. You know what? My opinion changed. Guess why? Because people were spamming all over the place. Because people figured that because I had 32 posts per day, I had to be a horrible spammer. You know what? I wasn't enjoying that. If I receive a tremendous amount of attention from other EoFFers who don't even know me or understand my motives, I don't want it to be for a number in my profile. I'd rather be it for what I post, because in the end, post counts don't matter, but the content of your posts does. That's what mattered to me all along. The only reason I cared about my post count at all is because I felt that nearly all of my posts were good posts, and I guess it was a way to raise my frail little ego to see how many of them I had. It sure doesn't help it when people accusing of spamming to raise said count, because I only posted spam when I thought it would be quality spam (i.e., funny).

Somehow, I doubt that post counts will ever be brought back. I certainly hope they won't; they've caused far more harm than good, in my opinion, and not just for me. If people hadn't been so obsessed with their post counts and spammed like nuts just to raise that value, then we might not have needed a pruning. It would've been necessary eventually anyway, but it might've not been necessary as soon.

I actually don't think there's any reason for this thread to be open at this point, since it's just going to lead to people saying "Boo hoo, you took away our post counts," or "What the hell are you on about, Man? You always seemed so obsessed with your post count!" But woteva. I'll stop rambling now, but this pissed me off. Obviously, I don't take to accusations like this very kindly. Please don't make them again so that you can save all of us some grief. Thank you.

Peace

Amazing Telephone
07-20-2002, 07:35 PM
A little too defensive, eh? Didnt mean to offend, didnt know this was a sensitive subject for you. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

- The Desert Fox

The Man
07-20-2002, 07:38 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I've made it very clear in the past that I don't like being noted by others for my post rate. I also don't like it when people don't read my posts to discern my attitudes towards things, which I felt was happening in this case. But thanks for apologising; that was mature of you.

Peace

Loony BoB
07-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Case closed, methinks.