PDA

View Full Version : Seiken Densetsu 3 Rom Bothers.

Wyllius
07-21-2002, 03:30 PM
Having recently obtained this ROM I settled down to have a shot of this game, however, when someone speaks in the game the screen stretches to a "widescreen" view to accomodae the text, if anyone has a ROM that doesn't do this I'd be grateful for it.

Pancaek
07-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Try this one.

EDIT: The attachment seems to be too big. *uploads* <a href="http://geocities.com/chibiskye/SeikenDensetsu3-E.zip">Here.</a> Yes, it's Geocities, so right-click and Save As, or something.

The Man
07-21-2002, 07:32 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Yep. That happens to me too. I dunno if it can be fixed; I'd recommend resizing your window to 512 pixels width and 448 pixels height, and then turning off "Fill Window". Then you'll have a game that doesn't have unpleasant proportions and doesn't stretch the screen every time someone talked.

I've attached a visual guide.

Just out of curiosity, Skye, does your ROM not do that when you have "Fill Window" enabled? Weird. I thought that a product of the original Japanese ROM.

Peace
Stuffed Manny<font size=2>

Wyllius
07-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Fixed it.

Merely used ZSnes instead and it's now running fine.

crono_logical
07-21-2002, 08:31 PM
I'd like to know what emulator(s) you guys were using which causes this, out of interest. :)

*has always used ZSNES so never seen this happen*

The Man
07-21-2002, 08:38 PM
<FONT COLOR=38E897>I was using SNES9x. It's probably just a problem with SNES9x. SNES9x has lots of problems, but ZSNES won't run for me -- it crashes whenever I try to load a game -- so I don't really have the choice of using it.

ZSNES also allows you to perform a neat trick with the SD3 ROM that isn't possible in SNES9x: If you assign a key on your keyboard to "reset" and hold down your keys for L and R and press reset, you'll be presented with a list of songs which you can then play -- in other words, the entire soundtrack. This is impossible in SNES9x. Bother.

Peace

crono_logical
07-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Yes, and did you know that that neat trick was actually added by the translators and is part of the patch? :D If you play the unpatched ROM, you see it isn't there, loading the ROM with patch does have that trick however. :)

ZSNES crashes for you? You got the latest version and latest DirectX?

Garland
07-22-2002, 03:12 AM
I'll just concur that HSL3 on ZSnes doesn't do any funny screenshifts during text. On another note, I'm fairly sure ZSnes is the best SNES emulator around, so even if HSL isn't a big deal, you'd probably be better off anyway.

Yamaneko
07-22-2002, 04:06 AM
Yup make sure you have DirectX 8 or higher to run the newest versions of ZSNES. If that doesn't work, try downloading different versions, DOS, Windows. ZSNES is da best though, don't know what I'd do without it.

Pancaek
07-22-2002, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Stuffed Manny
<FONT COLOR=38E897>Just out of curiosity, Skye, does your ROM not do that when you have "Fill Window" enabled? Weird. I thought that a product of the original Japanese ROM.</font>
I don't know what "Fill Window" is. All I know is that the text seems to display normally. I'm using ZSNES if that makes a difference, but that seems to be resolved already.

Zypher
07-22-2002, 08:28 AM
On ZSNES, that doesn't happen (but that's been said a million times). On SNES9x it will not do that if you use the 'stretch (not fill :p) screen" option. I rarely use ZSNES, cuz the sound ends up sucking and I have no idea how to fix it.
ZSNES also allows you to perform a neat trick with the SD3 ROM that isn't possible in SNES9x: If you assign a key on your keyboard to "reset" and hold down your keys for L and R and press reset, you'll be presented with a list of songs which you can then playUmm, how do you assign a key to 'reset'?

Yamaneko
07-22-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Zypher
Umm, how do you assign a key to 'reset'?

Click "Misc", then "Game Keys" and select "reset" at the bottom and choose a key for it, ex. "insert". Don't forget to save Config. in the "Misc" or else you'll have to assign the key everytime you load up ZSNES. Have fun.:D

Zypher
07-22-2002, 09:01 AM
Click "Misc", then "Game Keys" and select "reset" at the bottom and choose a key for it, ex. "insert". Don't forget to save Config. in the "Misc" or else you'll have to assign the key everytime you load up ZSNES. Have fun.Thank you. :)

Spatvark
07-22-2002, 12:51 PM
In Snes9X, I set it to run the game in fullscreen mode to stop the damn text problem coz' it was really pissing me off... I actually have ZSnes, I just can't be bothered to run the damn thing...

Citizen Bleys
07-22-2002, 03:17 PM
zsnes am teh r0x0r kthx.

The Man
07-22-2002, 07:08 PM
<FONT COLOR=38e897>Just for the record, I have version 1.337 of ZSNES (yes, it's the 1337357, latest version) and version 8.1 of DirectX, which is also, I believe, the latest version. Inexplicably, ZSNES freezes when I try to load a ROM. It freezes as soon as I start changing directories, actually. I have no clue why it does that, but it does.

Blah. Life isn't perfect.

Peace

Sita Atis
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
That's weird, why would an emulator for super nintendo need Directx 8? I mean super nintendo is pretty old right? so the sounds and images wouldn't be top of the line??

crono_logical
07-24-2002, 12:17 PM
Emulating a system perfectly does take quite a lot of power to make sure everything is syncronised etc. due to the large differences between consoles and PCs. Also, the format of the data in consoles (such as the audio and images) are not optimized at all for a PC to use directly, such as a console can usually do. Using latest things like DirectX helps speed up the behind the scenes or extra overhead processing of the emulator which is on top of what the normal console would do. :p

Spatvark
07-24-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
zsnes am teh r0x0r kthx.

zsnes r teh suxxorz... i.e. it runs as slow as hell on my machine... the latest version of ZSnes and with DirectX 8.1... the same as Aaron's but at least mine runs... *has been playing some spoof roms*

God bless ips for sorting out my problems so I can get back to using my lovely Snes9X =P

Yamaneko
07-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Blasphemy I tell you. Back in the day all we had was ZSNES for DOS! Now you people have their fancy SNES 9x with hi res mode and ZSNES for Windows. Kids these days. :p

I was thinking about it. Manny your problem might be that you have a corrupted ROM file or something becasue I one time had one and it wouldn't let me play any other ROM's and it would always freeze the emu. I'm going to ask some people about it though.