PDA

View Full Version : Quotes on VB

Yamaneko
07-22-2002, 04:37 AM
Would it be possible to remove the bold VB tag from quotes by default? You know how whenever you press the quote button, by default the entire post will be surrounded in the bold tag and since it has become fashion around EoFF not to use it, could the admins remove it, is it possible? Because... well it would be easier to quote without going back and deleting the tag and many many quotes would be free from an open tag that looks out of place in a quote. Meh, just a thought.

Sakura Yume
07-22-2002, 06:00 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>If you copy and paste the thing you want to post...

You can place it like this and it's not bolded.
You just surround it with [ QUOTE ]Whatever[ /QUOTE ]

Yamaneko
07-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Yeah I know that you can do it that way, but I'm very lazy at times and I dont feel like [ i]Originally posted by whoever[/i] thing so I just wanted to know if it were possible to remove the [ b] [/b] tags as default when you use the quote button. Thanks anyways.

Citizen Bleys
07-22-2002, 03:02 PM
When you want to quote something, just hit "quote"...if the bold tags bother you *that* much, just delete them.

When I see an unbolded quote, I assume somebody typed in the markup manually instead of hitting "quote". The message has still been put across, and it's no big deal.

Oh, I'll remove the bold tags if there's a huge overwhelming majority of posters who want them gone, but so far I see one person. Out of over three thousand.

Yamaneko
07-22-2002, 06:49 PM
It was just a thought, meh. I guess I should stop being so lazy and delete them myself, it only takes five seconds.

The Man
07-22-2002, 06:57 PM
<font color=38e897>I don't much like the bold tags myself. When other users use bold to emphasise words, that bold gets completely negated by the presence of a bold tag in the quote function by default. In fact, I stole LH's method of quoting people, which involves putting the "Originally posted by" in bold and in size 1, which uses far less space and looks quite cool, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind having the vB quote function altered to do that by default. Of course that would mean far less work for me, so it's understandable why I'd want that ;), but I do think it looks quite nifty. I mean, come on. Which looks cooler:

<blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:</font><hr color=38E897>Originally posted by trout
Blarg.<hr color=38E897></blockquote>or

<blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:</font><hr color=38E897><font size=1>Originally posted by trout</font>
Blarg.<hr color=38E897></blockquote>I think it's obvious that the second method looks cooler.

Peace
Stuffed Manny<font size=2>

Loony BoB
07-22-2002, 07:11 PM
I like it how it is. *shrugs*

Zypher
07-22-2002, 08:21 PM
I like the second one. But I always manually type in the quote tags, anyway, and it's not that big of a deal (I'll end up adding that header manually either way :p).

crono_logical
07-22-2002, 08:54 PM
I couldn't care less whether you changed it or not :p I sometimes quote, and sometimes type the quote thing myself anyway :)

LH
08-03-2002, 07:13 PM
If there's still any support for it, I'd also add my name to list of people who would rather have the default quote setting be without bold tags.

Never posted by LH
Hey, I don't think I've ever quoted myself before. Wow. I think size 1 verdana kicks serious ass visually, especially when bold. I'd probably start putting my posts in that format, but it looks kind of miniscule compared to the width of the posts, at least on my monitor.

Dr Unne
08-03-2002, 11:39 PM
OK, I added this.

[<b></b>q=Unne]Blarg.[/q]

will give you

Blarg.

Is that OK? The old [<b></b>quote] tag is the same as before. If I really really needed to, I could edit the Quote link under the posts to use my q tag instead of the quote tag. Not sure if I want to do that or not though.

The Man
08-04-2002, 01:45 AM
<font color=38e897>Yay for Unne.

I think I, for one, would like to have the quote link under the posts use the &#91;q] tag, but if that would imply a tremendous amount of hacking, that might not be a good idea. In any case, the new &#91;q] tag, while immensely cool, doesn't really help me, since I'm using custom HTML code to get my tag across. I could be a major pain and ask for a &#91;qm] tag just for me, which would then be using 38e897 for everything, but I won't be. I'll just have to go on editing my quotes as before. Unless there's a way to add a second variable for a tag. That would be cool.

Um, while we're at it, would there be any way to make a &#91;ooc={color for "OOC:" goes here}] tag so that I don't have to use my custom-formatted HTML anymore? I'd imagine that would take all of two seconds to implement.

At any rate, that new quote tag is a beauty. I just wish I could use it for myself.

Peace

Dr Unne
08-04-2002, 01:54 AM
It'd take a couple seconds to change the Quote link under the posts. Just not sure if I should or not yet.

What exactly is the other variable you'd need for the q tag? You mean you don't want your font color to affect the quotes, or something? If you do a &lt;/font>[<b></b>q=blah]Blah.[<b></b>/q]&lt;font color=whatever>, shouldn't that work? If you mean something else, explain please. I might be able to do something.

Explain also what your "custom HTML" is for the OOC thing please. I don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: typo.

The Man
08-04-2002, 02:05 AM
<font color=38e897>Even if I surrounded your &#91;q] tag with font colour tags, the &lt;hr&gt; tags in the &#91;q] tag would still be of colour <font color=#ffffff>ffffff</font>, which wouldn't look quite right since I use 38e897 in my quotes to match my text. If you could input a variable for colour of the the entire structure of the &#91;q] tag, then you'd be able to make your quotes match your font colour, which would be, at the least, cool.

<blockquote><font size=1 color=38E897>quote:<hr color=38E897>Not posted by The Man</font>
This is the result in my posts with the custom HTML I use, in other words.<hr color=38E897></blockquote><font color=38e897>But this is what happens with &#91;q] and &lt;font&gt; tags.</font>Basically, the OOC tag would work as follows:

&#91;ooc=<font color=3897E8>{color}</FONT>]<font color=9738e8>blarg</font>&#91;/ooc]

would have the HTML of

&lt;table&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td bgcolor=#204962&gt;&lt;font size=5 color=<font color=3897e8>{color}</FONT>&gt;OOC:&lt;/font>&lt;/td>&lt;td>&lt;font color=<font color=3897E8>{color}</FONT> size=2&gt;<font color=9738e8>blarg</font>&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

and, with the color value of 7eb7ed (Britty Blue™) and the text input of "I love Britty Blue™" would come out as follows:

<table><tr><td bgcolor=#204962><font size=5 color=7eb7ed>OOC:</font></td><td><font color=7eb7ed size=2>I love Britty Blue™</font></td></tr></table>
I don't think it would take very long to implement, and it would probably be cool. It would certainly make it much easier for me, and others who use custom font colours, to use OOC tags that match our text. *massive noddage*

When I think about it, though, it might be more useful to make the text in the OOC box customisable. I dunno. We could have a poll about it or something, I suppose.

It would be best if you could have two variables for a vB tag so that &#91;ooc={box text},{color}] could give you customisable text and text colour. Is there any way to do that? That's more or less what I'm asking. Then I'd be able to use the &#91;q] tag and almost completely get rid of all the custom HTML I currently have to use in the process. It doesn't take tons of time for me to use that code, since I have a big Word document that includes all of my custom-coloured little bits of source, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to access it as often. And I'm sure other people like <font color=afeeee>Tammy</font> and <font color=009999>Hsu</font> who have their own custom font colours would benefit from the new tags as well. But if there's no way to make two variables within a tag header, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Peace

LH
08-04-2002, 02:16 AM
Thanks Unne.

Dr Unne
08-04-2002, 02:17 AM
Not possible to specify two parameters for a vBB code. So I can't do what you want with the quote tag. Even if I thought it was necessary to add something like that, which I don't. Why not just quote what people say in the colors they originally said it in? If everyone just used the default colors for the MB (which they should, to avoid giving people headaches, in my opinion) this wouldn't be a problem.

I added this though. For what it's worth. There isn't any harm in adding new vBB codes I suppose.

The Man
08-04-2002, 02:20 AM
Rawk. Thanks, Unne.
And yeah, I'm thinking about going back to using the white-coloured quote tags in my posts, in any case. It'd be a lot easier. The only reason I don't use it right now is that the white looks intrusive to me. But oh well.
It's certainly a shame that there's no way to have two variables in a tag header though. But oh well.
In any case, this makes me very happy. *frolics*<font color=38e897>
Peace

Yamaneko
08-04-2002, 02:55 AM
I like the new quote tags, I'll use it from now on. *steals*

And about quoting in the custom color you type, I personally don't think it's necessary becasue a quote should be exactly what the other person typed out not your own color. So basically keep it as close to the original as possible.

SODA, is about the only time I'll use color in an OOC posts, but it's cool and Manny can have his own custom OOC tag color now.;)

Well I'm outta here, time to start quoting.:p

The Man
08-04-2002, 06:05 PM
<font color=38e897>I was playing around with JavaScript tags, attempting to find ways to get the HR reference in the quote tag to match the current font colour. I didn't succeed at doing that, but I did succeed at thinking of a better way to do the spoiler tag: &lt;B&gt;&lt;I&gt;(SPOILER)&lt;/I&gt;&lt;/B&gt; &lt;font style="color: 00243a; background.color: 00243a"&gt;blah&lt;/font&gt; as to yield (SPOILER) <font style="color: 00243a; background.color: 00243a">blah</font>, making the text completely invisible by fixing the background colour to a value exactly halfway between EoFF's two text boxes and making the text the same colour. It's not as pretty as setting the text to the current text box colour, since the backgrounds don't entirely match using my method, but I couldn't find a way to do that. I'm still searching; if any of you have a clue, you could always speak up.

Incidentally, if you want to make it so that clicking causes the spoiler tag to view, you can do it like so: &lt;B&gt;&lt;I&gt;(SPOILER)&lt;/I&gt;&lt;/B&gt; &lt;font color=00243a style="background.color: 00243a" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Over="window.status='Spoiler, click and hold to view'; return true;" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Out="window.status=''; return false;" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Down="this.color='#ffffff';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Up="this.color='#00243a';"&gt;blah&lt;/font&gt; to yield (SPOILER) <font color=00243a style="background.color: 00243a" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Over="window.status='Spoiler, click and hold to view'; return true;" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Out="window.status=''; return false;" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Down="this.color='#ffffff';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:Up="this.color='#00243a';">blah</font>. This might be a bit confusing to users at first, but it does have the benefit of making the tags viewable to users of browsers that don't give selected text inherent contrast, such as Opera.

Peace

Dr Unne
08-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I'd rather not put tons of Javascript and CSS stuff in there. Maybe someday. Reason being, some people don't have browsers that support CSS and Javascript, or else they have them turned off (thinking of Linux users here).

The Man
08-06-2002, 04:25 AM
<font color=38e897>Fair enough. *nod*

I don't think the JavaScript would harm anyone, though. The spoilers would still be invisible to JavaScript users, at least if you used the second method; they'd be easier to view to users who had JavaScript turned on. If you didn't want clickable spoiler tags, you could do &lt;B>&lt;I>(SPOILER)&lt;/I>&lt;/B> &lt;font color=00243a style="background.color: 00243a">blah&lt;/font> instead of the code I gave. I think people would see that as at least almost completely invisible regardless of whether they had JavaScript enabled, although I haven't actually tested that out yet.

Just a thought. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

<hr color=38e897><font size=1>Hi I have new stuff</font>

Er, now that the &#91;sb] tag has been introduced and the quote feature automatically formats its posts accordingly (thanks Unne), would it be possible to introduce a &#91;quote=color] tag and remove the automatic ffffff-colouring of the &#91;sb] function so that people could do quotes in their own text colour? I ask this only because it'd be easier for me to type &#91;quote=38e897]stuff goes here[/quote] than to type &#91;quote]&#91;color=ffffff]stuff goes here&#91;/color][/quote], which is what I generally end up doing when quoting other people lots.

Oh, and one other quote-related question: AnimeGlobe has a "quote window" that automatically pops up a box with the editable quoted text. This could encourage spamming if the submit reply button were available on the box, but if the reply button weren't available in that window, and it were just a tool available to make it easy to quote multiple posts (I personally hate having to shift-click each and every link when I'm responding to like four or five people), I think it'd be nice.

But then again, that's just me.

Peace

Citizen Bleys
08-06-2002, 05:26 AM
AG's little quote window is a nice touch, but ultimately, I don't think it's needed here. Especially since so many EoFF'ers use pop-up stoppers.

Dr Unne
08-06-2002, 05:57 AM
...all right.

[<b></b>quote=color_goes_here]

Posted by Unne, right now
I'm not making this the default for the Quote link below the posts though. The vast majority of people use white. You can type this one in manually if you want.

I changed the SB tag too, so that it will obey the font color of the rest of the quote if you decide to use it for some reason. It didn't, before. I only added this because hopefully there are a couple people who'll get good use out of it. And because it never hurts to add vB tags. Not like they're taking up a lot of room. Just a couple lines in the database, I'd guess.

Citizen Bleys
08-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Yes, vB codes take CONSIDERABLY less database space than a post.

Ifrit's Bodyguard
08-06-2002, 03:37 PM
<font color=f43719><font color=f43719>Thanks Unne, I've been using The Man's HTML tags for a while so this will make it easier.

The Man
08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
<font color=38e897>The new quote tag is quote nifty, Unne. Is there any way to get the "quote" to match everything else? Maybe like this:

&lt;font color=38e897&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font size=1&gt;quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr color=38e897&gt;blah&lt;hr color=38e897&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Thus, the text inside the quote tag would automatically be formatted the correct colour, like so:

<font color=38e897><blockquote><font size=1>quote:</font><hr color=38e897>blah<hr color=38e897></blockquote></font>You might even consider doing an ffffff-type thing for the standard quote tag if people want it.

Thanks for adding all these tags, Unne. They really do make things much easier for me and, presumably, for others who use custom font colours. White in the middle of a sea of green just looks out of place to me.

Oh, one other thing. I don't believe the custom &#91;bigspoiler] tag is supposed to automatically say "Spoiler" after the custom entry, and I don't believe the standard &#91;spoiler] tag has been changed to font colour 00243a, which is a lot closer to the average of the EoFF box colours than whatever it currently uses. If you could change those, I'd appreciate it.

Peace

Dr Unne
08-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Quote thing fixed. Those spoiler things are fine how they are. Bleys made them, he can fix them if he wants.

The Man
08-07-2002, 10:26 PM
<font color=38e897>Ah. Thanks, Unne.

Peace
Stuffed Manny</font>

Loony BoB
08-08-2002, 06:16 PM
What would be the point of having a spoiler if it doesn't say 'spoiler' at the start of it?

Or did you mean something else?

Dr Unne
08-08-2002, 08:08 PM
I think he means this. The word "Spoiler" is added automatically. It should say "FF1 Spoiler:" though when you use it for a game, not just "FF1:". I like having the word Spoiler in there. Otheriwse people might not know it's supposed to be a spoiler.

Loony BoB
08-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Oh. ...well, that's what I mean... there's no point in having a spoiler unless it's labelled. Not every newbie is going to think "Oooh! A black place with 'FF1:' infront of it. That MUST be a spoiler. I can tell by the... uh... black... FF1... er..." etc. They're more likely to go "Huh? What's this?" Then highlight and think "damn, I didn't want to find out about that just yet."

Or something. Yes, I babble.

The Man
08-10-2002, 03:38 AM
<font color=38e897>You could also use the spoiler box for something that wasn't a spoiler, though. Like if you write something of another nature that you figure you don't want anyone else to see. Maybe something some people might take as arrogant. Dunno really. If "Spoiler" should be a part of that box at all, I don't think it should be capitalised at least.

Peace

Big Ogre Umaro
08-10-2002, 04:08 AM
Just gotta find <i>somethin'</i> wrong with it, don'tcha? ;P