PDA

View Full Version : Computer Quandries

TranceVivi1223
07-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Okay, I need a bit of help. My situation is that I'm getting a new computer for my room that will be all pretty and such. My main reason for doing so is FFXI, but that's beside the point. My question is that if I have a GeForce 4 Ti with the TV Out option, do I need a monitor at all? I mean, couldn't I just play games, browse my desktop, and surf the internet right from my TV? I'm not sure if I need a new monitor because my TV is a big screen with Progressive Scan. Please make certain of the information you reply with, as this is a matter of about $300. A link would be reassuring. However, speculations are welcome as long as you say they're just that. Okay, well, thanks for reading my post, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Dr Unne
07-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Don't know anything about TV-outs, but wouldn't that be annoying? I'd rather just have a monitor myself. They're not that expensive.

Yamaneko
07-24-2002, 08:45 AM
If it has a TV out option then yes you can get a TV out cable, hook it from your TV to the video card and you have yourself a huge monitor. Of course I'd recommend you get a monitor since the resolution is going to be horrible on the TV(512 * 448).

crono_logical
07-24-2002, 09:24 AM
I'd also recommend the monitor, because of the higher resolutions, and also I don't think the TV-Out works by default (it certainly isn't on my PC), you need to activate it yourself, and if something goes wrong and you need Safe Mode, you'll definately have to use a monitor.

Of course, you can plug in both TV and monitor and have them display the same image if you want :D