PDA

View Full Version : Windows Millenium Task Manager.

Bulldog
07-24-2002, 09:58 PM
Where do you find the windows "task manager" in ME?
I want to set priority of DCPlusPlus to lowest, because of some complications and have been advised to do so in the task manager. Problem is, I'm not good at this Windows stuff and I don't even know what a task manager is. *cough*

Any help would be appreciated.

crono_logical
07-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Try going to Start, Run, and type "taskman" or "taskmgr" (can't remeber which one).

However, I'm not sure if you can change priorities of programs in WinME, I always thought it was a WinNT-based system feature :p

Bulldog
07-24-2002, 10:10 PM
I think you are right. I can't configure anything. Does this mean I have to SUFFER until I get a NT-based system? Heh. I'll have to accept it, although it's unacceptable. This is so not good.

crono_logical
07-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Yes, NT based systems (go for 2000 or XP today) feel much nicer and more stable than 95/ME/98.

IMHO, WinME is the worst of the lot :)

Bulldog
07-24-2002, 10:20 PM
IMHO, WinME is the worst of the lot :)

I have been CHEATED!!!

*curses seller and her nice body* *cough*

How much RAM would I need for 2000/XP?? Currently I have 128 which is too little to make good use of NTFS.

crono_logical
07-24-2002, 10:25 PM
I didn't know RAM affected the ability to use the NTFS file system :)

128 MB RAM is in fact the recommended amount needed for WinXP, 64 MB being the minimum. I'd guess Win2K would ask for similar. More RAM wouldn't hurt either :p

Note that you'll need around 1.5 to 2 GB of HD space to install WinXP - a huge bloated jump from Win98 which can be 200 MB when installed :p

Bulldog
07-24-2002, 10:34 PM
I didn't know RAM affected the ability to use the NTFS file system :)

Now you know. *shines*

Don't worry about my HD space. I'm a leech which means; storage takes first priority.

The only problem would be if it didn't work even after I upgraded.
I'll be making a new topic about DC++ if this task manager thing doesn't help.

Anyway this has gone a weee bit off topic :p

Dr Unne
07-25-2002, 04:13 AM
Task Manager in NT is very nice, yep. What is DC++, if I might ask? Some sort of debugger?

Killy
07-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Direct Conect in C++, a File sharing program... where you need to share at leats 10 gigs to have acess to the good stuff.