PDA

View Full Version : Drive Making Strange Noises

Zypher
07-29-2002, 04:07 PM
When I put a music CD in the drive, to rip off the songs, the drive started to spin as usual. However, it also started to make a strange loud, buzzing sound. What I want to know is:

1. What the sound means, obviously

2. If it's okay to put the disc in the drive, or if that will somehow damage it.

I only left the disc in the drive a few seconds after the noise began, and checked it briefly after. Still, I'd like to be sure.

Dr Unne
07-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Strange noises generally aren't a good thing. Don't really know what'd cause it, but it's probably not good. Does it do that all the time?

Killy
07-29-2002, 04:20 PM
I suggest you use one of those Cleaning Cds... Dust can cause lots of problems..

crono_logical
07-29-2002, 04:49 PM
It can also be caused by a slightly warped or off balance CD that's not properly weight distributed, which will cause it to vibrate in the drive as it spins very fast. I'd check with other CDs first before saying it's the drive at fault.

Zypher
07-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Other CDs work fine. That's why I was worried that the disc might not be compatible or something (?), but I guess I didn't make that clear. Not like it matters :p
It can also be caused by a slightly warped or off balance CD that's not properly weight distributed, which will cause it to vibrate in the drive as it spins very fast. I'd check with other CDs first before saying it's the drive at fault.I think I'm asking a pretty stupid question here, but will that vibration cause actual damage?

crono_logical
07-29-2002, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I don't really know. Though I could sensibly guess yes it would, since it might cause the disc to hit the laser head or could dislodge what holds and spins the CD if the vibrations get too bad.

Zypher
07-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Meh. I don't suppose there's anything I can do about this, other than exchange the CD?

Killy
07-29-2002, 05:52 PM
If you have a CD burner, make a copy of it...

Doomgaze
07-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Mine makes noises sometimes too...

..I just hit it and it stops. ;)

Citizen Bleys
07-30-2002, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I used the Doomgaze method for a while. My computer was making funny noises. Sounded like a fan going out of whack. So I took a hammer and beat the crap out of my power supply, and it stopped for a while. Later, it came back. So for three months, I faithfully beat the crap out of my power supply, and then paid $65 for a new one.

Put in the new power supply, it was still making funny noises, because it was my card fan (A little peripheral that I slid in between my video card and sound card) at fault. Took out the card fan and everything is fine.

Moral of the story: Don't beat the shit out of your computer with a hammer.