PDA

View Full Version : TopText Link?

Tokki Wartooth
08-02-2002, 10:41 AM
Am I the only person that sees these random words underlined in yellow and leading to advertisement sites?

Is there something wrong with my computer? Oor am I just crazy?

...And no, I'm not crazy. Here's a screenshot to prove it.

Mr Rocko
08-02-2002, 10:56 AM
no your not crazy. It's probably just a glitch on your computer.

crono_logical
08-02-2002, 10:57 AM
It's your computer :p You installed some adware/spyware tool which does it to your browser, though currently its name escapes me at the moment :p

EDIT: Google search tells me it's probably something called Ezula & Kazaa TopText, a very bad spyware program which installs at least 3 other seperate spyware tools on your system along with itself:

eZula & KaZaa Toptext sells targeted traffic based on the content of everyone's web page without having to develop any content of their own. There is a new file-sharing system launched in the wake of the MP3 war called KaZaa. When you install KaZaa you get a spyware virus installed on your computer. Toptext takes control of your browser and makes changes to everything you read on the Internet (like Flyswat). The latest version of this program also installs the following spyware agents: Cydoor, Webhancer, and Newdotnet. TopText operates with a browser to highlight words on every web page, inserting a yellow background behind keywords that have been purchased through their media sales company eZula, Inc. If a web user clicks on one of those yellow highlighted words on a web page, the user is sent to the site of the company paying the most that day for each click-through. If a user whose browser is infected with TopText visits your web site, they will be offered links to competitor's web sites for every keyword they find on your site for which they have a buyer. This is not much different from the Smart Tags system that Microsoft announced for their Windows XP browser. This particular spyware agent is very hard to get rid of so your best option is to never download it in the first place.

Go to www.lavasoft.nu and download AdAware from there, that's give you the best chance at removing this nasty software. I'd also recommend uninstalling/deleting Kazaa too. (Download Kazaa Lite if you can't live without the Kazaa network :p )

If all fails, well a full reformat of the entire machine would be your remaining option - tis as bad as getting a virus on your PC. :)

EDIT: *just noticed you included TopText in the thread title* ^_^;;

Dr Unne
08-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Next time you install anything, make sure you read every single option they give you. They sneak in "I'm going to install this piece of crap invasive spyware garbage on your computer unless you tell me not to" options that're pre-checked and in really tiny fonts, and it's easy to miss them.

Agent Proto
08-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Silly spywares. :p