PDA

View Full Version : Censorship...

Spatvark
08-15-2002, 05:43 AM
or rather, why there should be none.

Just looking at replies to my threads in the Writer's Corner and I noticed that parts of my song had been censored and I'm feeling a little hard done by now. Writing is about expressing ones self and sometimes, teh best way to do that is swearing.

As long as I've been here, swearing has been allowed in the Writer's Corner, although only in pieces of literature obviously and now all of a sudden, it's not and I'm really not happy about this.

If we're going to censor bad language from the Writer's Corner why not go the whole hog and censor all words in there? You've basically done that already...

Del Murder
08-15-2002, 06:00 AM
I agree in this case. The Writer's Corner is a place where F should be allowed I think. I wonder if there is a way to unban it on that forum only. And then maybe put a disclaimer?

Yamaneko
08-15-2002, 06:23 AM
Yes, if you need to express yourself by using profanity I guess it has to be done, you shouldn't be censored. That or you can edit all your posts with < b >< / b >, just without the spaces in between the said word.:D

Spatvark
08-15-2002, 07:06 AM
Read the announcement so now I know why that word is banned at least but I still think the Writer's Corner should be exempt of this.

I could do that Yamaneko but that's avoiding it, not solving it and what I want is a lifting of it from the Writer's Corner. Just going around it is, at least as far as I'm concerned, a bannable offence. I'd rather reason about this and get defeated than go around it and get banned.

Yamaneko
08-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Well Unne did say if you had any questions to make a thread about. *awaits Unne* Just for the record I agree with you Spat.

crono_logical
08-15-2002, 10:43 AM
As far as I can see, the built in censorship options of my copy of vB do not let you choose which forums they apply to, they're board-wide options only.

Dr Unne
08-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Can't choose which forums to censor and which not to. You can save your poems as text files and post them as attachments maybe. I didn't want to turn on the censor, but people swear too often and I'm really sick of having to constantly yell at people for it.

LH
08-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Perhaps then you could allow people to go around it in that particular forum without any penalty? Like instead of shoe they could say s.hoe or something.

Dr Unne
08-15-2002, 06:33 PM
I need to talk it over with Staff. It'll probably be OK though.

EDIT: Yeah, it's OK in the Writer's Corner. Posting an attachment is probably easier, but do what you have to.