PDA

View Full Version : Font Sizes

The Man
08-17-2002, 04:41 AM
<font color=38e897 style="font-size: '13 px';">Apparently, not all browsers regard font size in the same manner. I viewed EoFF with Internet Explorer 4.5 on my iMac, and all the text was smaller than it should have been in Normal view -- it was like all the text was sized <font style="font-size: '10 px';">like this</font>. This was annoying, and I've found a potentially easy solution: Replace, or augment, the "font size" tags, which vary from system to system, like so:

<font size=1>&lt;font size=1&gt;</font> could be replaced by <font style="font-size: '10 px';">&lt;font style="font-size: '10 px';"&gt;</font>.
<font size=2>&lt;font size=2&gt;</font> could be replaced by <font style="font-size: '13 px';">&lt;font style="font-size: '13 px';"&gt;</font>.
<font size=3>&lt;font size=3&gt;</font> could be replaced by <font style="font-size: '16 px';">&lt;font style="font-size: '16 px';"&gt;</font>.
<font size=4>&lt;font size=4&gt;</font> could be replaced by <font style="font-size: '18 px';">&lt;font style="font-size: '18 px';"&gt;</font>.

And so on. Any computer that supports Cascading Style Sheets, I believe, will view these just fine, and it'll be universally the same size from computer to computer. I dunno if it seems an appealing thing to change, but it could be cool.

I've also thought of a new tag based on this feature: &#91;csize=LKJDSFLASFnAKHFLKEAJR&#93;aldkjfal;skdjf;wailje&#91;/csize] would yield &lt;font style="font-size: 'LKJDSFLASFnAKHFLKEAJR px';"&gt;aldkjfal;skdjf;wailje&lt;/font&gt;. Just a thought. Then you could size your text <font style="font-size: '9 px';">small, like this</font> much more easily than you otherwise might.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Peace
Stuffed Manny<font size=2>

Killy
08-17-2002, 05:21 AM
Good idea, but it would be hard to do
*Waits till the admins decide*

crono_logical
08-17-2002, 05:57 AM
I say a <FONT SIZE="+2"><B>BIG FAT NO</B></FONT> to this :D

We lose the flexibility of being able to resize the fonts ourselves in the browser when we change resolutions or are feeling like changing the size or whatever. Fixed size text = bad, it forces something onto people which they may all not like. :p IE let's you quick-resize by scrolling the mouse wheel whilst holding down CTRL. Of course, Macs with their inferior one button mice are incapable of that, but that's another thing :p

Why didn't you just change the text size in the browser, Manny? Far easier than complaining about it :)

EDIT: I don't see much use for the other tag you suggested, although it's nice, I doubt it'd get used often and wouldn't be much different from a normal FONT tag anyway.

Big Ogre Umaro
08-17-2002, 08:01 AM
wah hahah I didn't know you could do that...*scroll wheel + ctrl weeeee!*

The Man
08-18-2002, 02:40 AM
<font color=38E897>Er, screw that. I guess it doesn't change when you alter the font size on Windows boxes. It works on Macs, though. *dies* Never mind this thread. Someone can close it if they want.

Peace

Dr Unne
08-18-2002, 03:11 AM
CSS = bad. That would cripple the MB if you were trying to use Opera or Mozilla, I bet.

Citizen Bleys
08-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Mozilla handles CSS fine.

But some of the style stuff IS IE-specific, or at least Micros~1 specific, so it won't work in Linux.

Shlup
08-19-2002, 04:33 AM
I guess that's what you get for using an iMac, Manly. *nod*

Yamaneko
08-20-2002, 04:41 AM
If font sizes get any smaller I'll end up getting laser eye sergery real soon.:D

Mac=bad
PC=bad + 1

The Man
08-20-2002, 11:00 PM
<font color=38BCEE>
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
I guess that's what you get for using an iMac, Manly. *nod* Actually, Shlup, I was using an iBook when I did the CSS experiments, yet I post on a PC. I just didn't bother to check whether the font sizes changed when you did the wheel-scrolly thing, because I assumed they would, as they did on the PC.
Thankfully, I just remembered the other reason I created this thread, since as it stands right now it's just going to turn into spam: The &#91;list] tag screws up font sizes. When you use it:

<ul><li>blah<li>blah</ul>it puts thing in 12-px Verdana, at least on my computer, and the font size doesn't change under Windoze xP when you use the wheel-scroller. This irks me, and if someone on staff knows how to put a &lt;font size="2"&gt;blah&lt;/font&gt; tag by default in each of the table's elements, that'd save me the trouble of having to do that myself in each of the lists I create. Plus it'd look better in the lists of everyone who doesn't bother with the tags. *nod*

Peace

Shlup
08-21-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout
I viewed EoFF with Internet Explorer 4.5 on my iMac

Originally posted by Kilgore Trout
Actually, Shlup, I was using an i<I>Book</I> when I did the CSS experimentsDoes it matter?

Zypher
08-21-2002, 06:17 PM
It doesn't work for me, but is it really that big a deal? Besides, can't you just use the HTML if it matters that much to you? Or does that not work either?

The Man
08-30-2002, 03:42 AM
<font color=38bcee style="font-size: 'xx-small';"><font style="font-size: '90%';">Okay, I figured out a way to make this work so that it doesn't screw up with the resize tag:

&lt;font style="font-size: 'xx-small';"&gt;&lt;font style="font-size: '<font color=38e897>{insert pixel-height here}</font>0%';"&gt;<font color=38e897>Hi I r text plz</font>&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Yesh.

Rest assured that I'm not going to continue posting in such a small font -- this is kinda hard to read, I'd imagine. It looked good at 800x600, but... not so good at 1024x768.

Peace
Kilgore Trout

Dr Unne
08-30-2002, 04:05 AM
Hard, as in next to impossible, for those of us with 1280x1024.

The Man
08-30-2002, 04:22 AM
<font color=38bcee style="font-size: 'xx-small';"><font style="font-size: '110%';">At any rate, would you be willing to make a [csize=<font color=38e897>{insert pixel-height here}</font>] tag as per the example I gave above? I'd like to use [csize=11], as I'm doing right now, and I'm sure there are other examples where it'd be useful as well. Plus, it'd save on board space. *shrug*

Peace
Kilgore Trout

Dr Unne
08-30-2002, 04:23 AM
I'll think about it. I don't really see the need though. I would save on board space if people said &lt;font size=blah> or just didn't use tons and tons of formatting tags in the first place.

edczxcvbnm
08-30-2002, 04:29 AM
Why don't you just go to view and change the text size to large or extra large? That seems like the easiest solution to me.

Your text was pretty easy to read for me but the again I use 800 x 600 view.

Can anyone read this? <font size=7 style="font-size: .1pt;"> I am writing stuff? Can you read this?</font>

Those are not periods. That is just font size .1!

The Man
08-30-2002, 04:30 AM
<font style="font-size: 'xx-small';" color=38bcee><font style="font-size: '110%';">Unne: Having to type &lt;font style="font-size: 'xx-small';" color=38bcee&gt;&lt;font style="font-size: '110%';"&gt; before each of my posts will not be much fun, though. There's no HTML tag that simulates that -- I have to type in all that CSS, which is no fun and a large use of board space. Yep.

Thanks for the consideration, though.

And ed: Yes, we can worry about people using size 1 in the csize tag, but that's as silly a worry as people using colour 000000 in the color tag, because why in hell would they do that if they wanted to communicate with each other? But reasonable font sizes add personality.

<font color=38e897>Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, it'd make more sense if you made it so that [csize=110] would be like 11-pixel text, because if you made [csize=11] then it would be impossible to use fractional font sizes. Y'know. [11.5] would result in [11.50%], a value which is completely wrong. So disregard the zero in my earlier post.</font>

Peace
Kilgore Trout

edczxcvbnm
08-30-2002, 04:47 AM
What the hell is Csize? I used this.

< "This is here so it doesn't tag it" font size=7 style="font-size: .1pt;"> I am writing stuff? Can you read this?</..........font>

Anyways what about just going to view and then click on "Text Size" and then click large or largest if you are having trouble with the size of the text? Wouldn't that fix the problem while you browse the forums?

I may not understand the problem but can't you go to microsoft.com and download Explorer 5.0 or 6.0 for the Mac?

Like I said I may be misunderstanding your problem here.

Dr Unne
08-30-2002, 04:49 AM
My point is, why in the world do you need weird fractionally-sized CSS font sizes in the first place? I have a feeling you're the only person who's going to use this thing if I add it. I find it very unnecessary. vB codes are for things that people already do very frequently, to save them time. If I start adding codes for everyone who has a special way of posting, we're going to have a bajillion codes, and I'm going to have a severe headache and a cluttered vBB to mess with every time I want to change something.

Citizen Bleys
08-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Not to mention that it requires storing extra info in the database. Since we've been having problems, I've stopped emptying the search index, and the db size is crawling back up to size.

Adding something to the database that precisely one person is going to use is simply not feasable.

Just copy your font style tags into a text file, and use copy/paste if you're that dead set on having a different text color. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. Plain ol' white is good enough for me.

The Man
08-30-2002, 07:42 PM
<font color=38bcee style="font-size: 'xx-small';"><font style="font-size: '110%';">Okay. One last question, then:

At the top of the HTML source for the pages, there's a CSS definition that uses "10 px" and "12 px" in places. For example, if I were to remove all my font styling:

</font></font></font>we'd be left with twelve-pixel-high text that WON'T resize in Windows.

<font size=2><font color=38bcee style="font-size: 'xx-small';"><font style="font-size: '110%';">That happens a lot, actually, when people use too many &lt;/font&gt; tags in their posts by mistakes.

But there IS a solution: perhaps you can somehow change all the occurrences of "10 px" to "xx-small" and of "12 px" to "x-small." That should also mean that lists would display in the proper size, rather than

not resizing, either.So y'no. I dunno how you'd fix that in the header, but it'd be a LOT more pleasant, I think.

The only reason the cSize tag would be super-nice for me is because I don't always post on the same computer -- in fact, there are like three or four computers I use to post. So y'no. I don't know of anyone else who uses anything like the cSize tag right now, but there might be people who'd want to start using it once they found out about it. These "weird fractionally-sized CSS tags" are nice, in my opinion, because they allow you to use font sizes for your own posts that aren't accessible in standard HTML &lt;font size=blah&gt; tags, giving your posts an individual flavour different from others. But y'no. If the posts get too diverse, I could see how EoFF would look more like a circus than a message board, which wouldn't be good, so woteva; it don't matter to me.

Peace
Kilgore Trout

Big Ogre Umaro
08-30-2002, 09:38 PM
wtf just type in plain text :( I read your post five times and two things have yet to happen: 1) knowing what the hell you're on about, and 2) figuring out how this is even in the smallest bit important, 3) caring, 4), learning to count.

The Man
08-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Hi I won't be using colour this time. Thx BOU plz.

<font style="font-size: '12 px';">This is what happens when teh EoFF doesn't have a font size specified: &lt;font style="font size: '12 px';"&gt;.</font>

<font style="font-size: 'x-small';">This would be a better specification: &lt;font style="font-size: 'x-small';"&gt;, which is roughly equivalent to &lt;font size=2&gt; only it's specified in CSS.</font>

<font style="font-size: '10 px';">This is what happens in some places, apparently, when a font size isn't defined. &lt;font style="font size: '10 px';"&gt;</font>

<font style="font-size: 'xx-small';">This is better, also defined in CSS. &lt;font style="font-size: 'xx-small';"&gt;.</font>

<font style="font-size: '11 px';">If I were to specify, for my own posts, &lt;font style="font-size: '11 px';"&gt;, then it wouldn't resize. That = suck.</font>

<font style="font-size: 'xx-small';"><font style="font-size: '110%';">What I'm asking for is a &#91;csize=110] tag to be shorthand for &lt;font style="font-size: 'xx-small';"&gt;&lt;font style="font-size: '110%';"&gt;, which is what I'm using at the moment. That = r0x, if you ask me.</font></font>

Maybe it's just me, but in my opinion, there's only two things as good as 10 px Verdana and 13 px Verdana, and those are 9 px Verdana, which is too small for anything but a signature, and 11 px Verdana, which is this. I use this in my posts, and it's a lot of HTML code. It's big. &lt;font style="font-size: 'xx-small';"&gt;&lt;font style="font-size: '110%';"&gt;A winner is you. Editing posts = super&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt; uses up a lot more board space than &#91;csize=110]A winner is you. Editing posts = super&#91;/csize] would, especially when you realise that I'd be using that in pretty much every post. As I understand it, vB tags are really small. That's why you should care about that.

Replacing the stuff at the top, the "10 px" and "12 px" stuff, with "xx-small" and "x-small" respectively, would eliminate the resizing problems. That stuff would resize. Plus, 12 px Verdana, in my opinion, looks like crap compared to 13 px Verdana, which is what most people would be seeing when they looked at the revised EoFF tables.

I dunno. This is all super-complex CSS stuff, which I've been researching for the past week or so on the Internet, and I might be the only person on EoFF who actually understands it. So it goes. I hope not, though.

Peace
Kilgore Trout<font size=2>

Dr Unne
08-30-2002, 11:25 PM
I understand, I just see no reason to bother with any of it. *joins BOU in not really caring at all about any of this* You're the only person in almost 3 years who's ever cared about this. I think you'll be the only one who ever does. If it's big enough to read I'm fine with it, and I'd have to imagine so are 99.999999% of the people here. I doubt I could even tell the difference between 12 point Verdana and 13 point Verdana, for example.

*pretty much done talking about this now*

Big Ogre Umaro
08-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Oh man, thank you Carpie, I thought I was nuts. I get what you're saying now. I think the most I'd care to have done is changing the 12px's to something resize-friendly, but other than that, it's all a whole lotta nothin'.