PDA

View Full Version : Registration

Spuuky
08-20-2002, 01:32 PM
I'm aware that registration is currently disabled, and I understand the reasoning behind it. Is it possible to get single accounts created manually, somehow, upon request? I know someone who wants to join, and is unable to do so, so I was just wondering.

crono_logical
08-20-2002, 03:19 PM
The option exists in the admin control panel :) Whether one is around though to do it for you is another question, you'll have to wait :p I'd guess it be best to contact using an IM of some sort for any details the account needs :)

Dr Unne
08-20-2002, 05:13 PM
PM me a username, email and password. They can change the password after I set it up.

Citizen Bleys
08-20-2002, 11:04 PM
Yeah, and if you see me on AIM, I'll be happy to do it, too.

We *want* new members, we just want to kill the spam attack first.

Squally Leonharty
08-21-2002, 06:46 AM
About the spam attack: what if they just wait till registration is enabled? That'd mean they'll start again spamming the place.

I think you just should do an IP ban, but before doing that do a search on that IP and see if there are innocent users in it. They might be non-posters, so that's nothing to worry about then. Ban away. XD It's up to the admins, though. :p

Yamaneko
08-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Or they could always be using a public computer, ie. a library. Yes they probably would come back even when registration is enabled, but they will never succeed in the long wrong.

Can anyone preferably an admin clarify this: When you register, does vB give you an IP or does it use your computer default or am I completly lost? Because if vB gave you an IP, then ban away.:D

Squally Leonharty
08-21-2002, 07:01 AM
vBulletin doesn't give a computer an IP. :p It just looks up into your computer what your real IP is and you can use that to ban users. Only administrators and moderators can see the IPs.

I can know that, because I'm an admin myself somewhere else. *cough* :p

Yamaneko
08-21-2002, 07:10 AM
I'm an idiot. I knew I shouldn't have posted that after I did, but oh well. It's stupid to think that vB gives you an IP because that would be the same as banning a username. Yeah everyone else see's "logged". Thanks for the clarification Squally.

Killy
08-21-2002, 02:48 PM
I have a few solutions... Ive seen it done on other Vbulletin forums.

Moderate the first 5 posts. (the mods must see and approve their posts).
But it would be a lot of work

I have another solution, but it would be better if it was kept secret, ill contact bleys shortly.

Citizen Bleys
08-21-2002, 05:45 PM
I've tried IP banning Thursday.
Each new account he registers has a unique IP. I don't know how he's doing it, but he's spoofing his IP, so IP banning won't work.

Dr Unne
08-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Even turning on the option to moderate all newly registered people would work. We did that once before.

crono_logical
08-21-2002, 07:55 PM
He's the guy that came into chat one time saying he had lots of proxy servers he could use. Fortunately, you can't get into our chat server using a proxy server (not easily, anyway), so he never returned after being banned from there :D

Citizen Bleys
08-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Ah! Proxy servers != IP spoofing that can defeat vBulletin's security.

This means that buddy has a finite number of IP addresses, and it's perfectly feasable for us to ban them all :)