PDA

View Full Version : A forum in disrepair

Bannor
08-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Uh, personaly I am having a few problems with the writers corner. Besides the fact that most of the stories dont get any readers, besides the fact that the most amount of votes we ever got in a competition was 9, I am more concerned about the forum itself. First of all, have you seen how many threads there are? And how many of those threads are in there. Do you know that everything past page 3 is over 3 months old? That is an incredible amount of JUNK just sitting around. Come on... i thought we were pruning. Hell, I think that both the artist forum and writers forum deserve mods that are purely for that forum, for things like deleting old threads and posting and most stories. Kind make it like a job.

Then secondly(and I know this has been brought up alot) for Heaven sakes make a poetry corner. I mean, slightly more than half the stuff is poetry, and it tends to push stuff down. We might lost readers you claim... well I highly doubt it, hell poetry seems to be getting most of the posts anyway, and if you look at the writers corner is terms of fan fics we really dont have very many readers to lose.

To sum up, I really hope that we can fix up the writers corner just a little. I think it is just a little ignored and needs to be tuned up a little. Thank you for your consideration.

-Bannor

Kumo
08-20-2002, 07:39 PM
I support Bannor 100%. I've been saying this for months now . . . the forum has become useless, and the mods are crap. I've visited many other forums, and at least the moderators there take time to read and reply to the works in progress. I'm so disillusioned now . . . I wonder if any of the admins have ever set foot in those forums. I wonder if the first mods had to do anything, or if they even wanted to mod those forums in the first place.

You admins don't give a shit, and that's why it's doing so horribly. There are people that are serious about writing, but you must think they are losers and aren't important enough to have their own voice. If you do create a new forum, because you have a miraculous change of heart, I nominate Bannor to be one of the new moderators for it. And if I could have a second pick, it would be Tokkiquil.

And btw, sorry if I posted 10 times in a row in my thread there. I have been posting new chapters for about 5 months now, and nobody is replying. I wonder why . . .

Heath
08-20-2002, 07:51 PM
I beleive the mods voted not to Prune the writers corner because of the stuff there was good enough to save. Can't back this up as much as I'd like. I don't stop in that forum as much as I'd like but I beleive that the Staff forum, the writers corner and the artists gallery (maybe more?) weren't pruned. Not 100% sure though, but...

*awaits to be corrected*

I Love Shoyku
08-20-2002, 08:01 PM
I actually agree with you guys. I really think the study forum, and that other writers forum should be delted. I still think we should have a food forums though.. :mad:

Later
Cheffie

Dr Unne
08-20-2002, 09:56 PM
First of all,

<i>...the mods are crap...</i>

<i>I wonder if any of the admins have ever set foot in those forums...</i>

Things like that aren't going to make us eager to jump and help you. We're people, you know, we're not your MB-slaves, and we're not robots who can take insults and happily continue about our business without caring. Try posting that kind of crap at an another MB sometime and see what kind of responses you get. Then come back and tell us about how bad we are. But thankfully for you, we are good people, and we continue to work to make this place as good as we can, so I'm going to address your concerns, even though you're not going to like the answer, and even though I'm going to get no thanks for the time I spend typing it up. I hope you realize that I owe you absolutely nothing, and the fact that I'm even bothering to respond instead of closing this thread with a simple "No", which is well within my right to do, means that I DO care about this place, and I care about everyone's opinion.

Kuja Trance is partly right, there were some forums we agreed not to prune at all so that we wouldn't lose any important threads. Not sure which threads we ended up not pruning, Bleys would know better than I do since he's the one who did the pruning.

In any case, check any forum, three pages back, and see how many threads there are good. Look at general chat for example. Dead threads die for a reason, and closed threads tend to end up together as the good threads stay alive while the closed ones die. We're not going to prune every forum manually so that all the spam threads get deleted. First of all, that would be a huge burden on us, and it'd take a great deal of time that could be better spent on other things. Secondly, if it was really important to do so maybe we would invest the time anyways, but make the writer's corner look pretty three pages into the dead threads isn't high on my list of priorities.

I can tell you that yes, the staff does read most / all of the threads in there. However, we're human beings, and there are limited numbers of us, and we're not omniscient, and we do miss things. As we said the last time people complained about this, if someone is doing something wrong in there, feel free to PM anyone on staff and the problem will be taken care of within a few hours.

About the forum not getting any traffic, exactly what does that have to do with the staff? There are 4000 members here, of which exactly 20 are staff. We're not going to force people to go read everyone's stories. If people were interested they'd go read on their own. Obviously people just aren't that interested. Speaking for myself, I don't like fanfics at all, so I'm not going to go read every fanfic everyone writes just because I'm on staff.

About the poetry thing, well, the forum is for writings of all kinds. This is a gaming forum remember. The primary function of the MB is to talk about games. We could give fanfics their own forum I guess, but we need somewhere to put all the other writings, and, this being a gaming forum, it would be ridiculous to make a seperate forum just for non-gaming poetry. I would agree that fanfics should be more important to the site, in a way, since this is a gaming site, and fanfics are about gaming. But we are left with the following options.

1) Seperate poetery forum. Not going to happen. It would get no traffic, and what little traffic the fanfic forum gets now would be cut in less than half. Dead forums are not something we enjoy having around.
2) Recombine Fanfics/poetry and Fanart into one forum, as it was before. But I can assure you, fanfics will be buried far more quickly by art than by poetry, because a lot of people here draw.
3) Move poetry and non-fanfic writing into the Lounge. We tried this once too, and it didn't work. Movies, music, TV, AND books/poetry makes the Lounge too chaotic, and once again, the writing threads will be buried.
4) Just don't let people post any writing that's non-game related. Not sure what that would accomplish.
4) Leave things as they are now.

Leaving things as they are is probably how it's going to be. If fanfics were popular, they would get plenty of posts no matter what else was in the forum. Moving stuff around isn't going to make people suddenly come post there. Take my word that we get a lot more writing-related threads with the forums set up as they are now than we used to when the fanfics were parts of other forums. I think we've done just about as much as we can to give that forum some life.

A side note, the fanfic forum is part of EoFF as a whole. Some people seem to regard it as some sort of sub-culture within EoFF, seperate from the rest of the MB or something. It's not. It's not going to get its own mods or anything either. I fail to see why that would be necessary. You yourselves have said that the forum doesn't get much traffic. No traffic = no need for more mods.

That having been said, I'd love to see the fanfic forum get more traffic. Fanfics are popular in some places, we just don't seem to have many fanfic fans around here. I don't know what we can do about it though. Go try to find people who like to talk about writing and get them to register here. That's your best hope. Barring that, if you love fanfics that much maybe you can make a fanfic-devoted site or MB yourself, or go to one where they talk about nothing but fanfics. EoFF has never been big on writing and fanfics and whatnot. I don't forsee a time when they're going to become popular.

PS: No food forum. General Chat serves that purpose well enough. You realize, if we made a new forum every time a couple people wanted one, we'd have a Newbie forum, an Intro forum, a Spam forum, an RPG-maker forum, a Happy Birthday forum, a Seiken Densetsu forum, a Xenogears forum (which we just merged, because it was dead), probably seperate GameCube, PS2, XBox, Nintendo forums, a Strategy game forum, seperate forums for FF1 through FF4, a forum where people could go to insult each other (don't ask me...), a Food forum, a Computer forum, an Anime forum, a Sports forum, a seperate forum for Books, Fanfics AND Poetry, etc., etc. This is Eyes on Final Fantasy, not Eyes on Everything in the Known Universe.

I will ask the rest of the staff about making a poetry forum, or a food forum. But the answer is probably no.

Citizen Bleys
08-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Just to confirm: Yes, I did make the Writer's Corner immune from the prune--For all I know, some writers posted their work on EoFF and it's not saved anywhere else--I know how hard writing is, and I don't want to be responsible for the destruction of hours and hours of someone else's hard work.

Kumo and Bannor: Again, I don't think you're going to get your way here, but I'm glad that we've got you on-board trying to keep the Writer's Corner alive.

And a final note: If EoFF doesn't serve your needs as a writing forum, you might be happier going to <a href="http://www.legardinia.com/forums/">Legardinia</a>, as that site's primary focus is writing, both fanfiction and original works.

Good luck.

Bannor
08-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Well taken, but I do have a rebbutal.

First of all, you say that you save it because some writers only post their work here. Not to dispute the honesty of your word but doesnt it seem a little unlikely that someone would sit down to this tiny little white screen and type out a chapter of something? I am certain that most people save their writings to their hard drive and copy and paste from their.

Secondly, if we were to make a poetry corner, nothing would be affected. In all honesty poetry gets a hell of alot more post do to the fact that it is short, easy to read and doesnt require long term commitment. I highly doubt we would lose any readers.

This is Eyes on Final Fantasy, not Eyes on Everything in the Known Universe.

Oh that is great.. LMAO.

In any case, check any forum, three pages back, and see how many threads there are good. Look at general chat for example. Dead threads die for a reason, and closed threads tend to end up together as the good threads stay alive while the closed ones die.

But my point was that the stuff that was their was <b> Old </b>. I mean like really old. And obviously if the stuff is there and it is old then no one will prolly have any interest in it at all.

I can tell you that yes, the staff does read most / all of the threads in there. However, we're human beings, and there are limited numbers of us, and we're not omniscient, and we do miss things. As we said the last time people complained about this, if someone is doing something wrong in there, feel free to PM anyone on staff and the problem will be taken care of within a few hours.

I dont think there are any actual "problems" per se ie. flaming, spamming and such( I do believe those left with whats-her-face... ALenita, thats it)

About the forum not getting any traffic, exactly what does that have to do with the staff? There are 4000 members here, of which exactly 20 are staff. We're not going to force people to go read everyone's stories. If people were interested they'd go read on their own. Obviously people just aren't that interested. Speaking for myself, I don't like fanfics at all, so I'm not going to go read every fanfic everyone writes just because I'm on staff.

Actually I dont think that it is the staffs fault at all. I am not asking for you to change that. Hell, we cant help it that some of the stuff in there is hardly worth a glance. But if we could install neon lights... or hookers. Thats it! Hookers in the writers corner. Damn I'm brilliant.

A side note, the fanfic forum is part of EoFF as a whole. Some people seem to regard it as some sort of sub-culture within EoFF, seperate from the rest of the MB or something. It's not. It's not going to get its own mods or anything either. I fail to see why that would be necessary. You yourselves have said that the forum doesn't get much traffic. No traffic = no need for more mods.

Kinda agree, kinda of disagree. First of all, it really is a subculture per se. Or was. I dont know. But the point is assign the mod to do the pruning of the useless junk that is backed up. Hell, I dont mean like a roaming mod, but a temporary one for the corner.

The primary function of the MB is to talk about games

Are you sure? Because the 60 thousand post in General seems to rival the 80 odd thousand in all of the ff gaming ones. And there 13 FF ones while I only counted General, EoEo , Lounge and Art in my scope of general. So is this really about gaming?

But in the end I do see were you are coming from. If we make one sub-forum then we open the flood gates. You guys would get pressured to make ever more fora. But either way, I still hope you consider making a seperate forum for poetry. Thanx

-Bannor

P.S.
And a final note: If EoFF doesn't serve your needs as a writing forum, you might be happier going to Legardinia, as that site's primary focus is writing, both fanfiction and original works.

True, but I would rather stay with eoff, I have been here much longer and feel that the writers corner deserves better.

Daryl
08-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Bannor

First of all, you say that you save it because some writers only post their work here. Not to dispute the honesty of your word but doesnt it seem a little unlikely that someone would sit down to this tiny little white screen and type out a chapter of something? I am certain that most people save their writings to their hard drive and copy and paste from their.

A lot of things I post (although, admittedly, I haven't posted many writings here, especially in recent months) are posted as the idea hits me - examples being the poems I wrote last winter. This was the first place they were saved, and I hadn't saved a copy to my hard drive until last month. They'd've been lost if the prune happened.

On top of that, what if people who do love fanfic would like to go through and read the EoFF authors' old stuff?

I don't see a problem with us not pruning the writing and art forums. Creative efforts may be chronologically old, but to forum newcomers, they are new and interesting.

Secondly, if we were to make a poetry corner, nothing would be affected. In all honesty poetry gets a hell of alot more post do to the fact that it is short, easy to read and doesnt require long term commitment. I highly doubt we would lose any readers.

I hardly think a subforum is the answer to the traffic problems. If people don't want to read and post responses to fanfic, seperating it from poetry will hardly change that.

But my point was that the stuff that was their was <b> Old </b>. I mean like really old. And obviously if the stuff is there and it is old then no one will prolly have any interest in it at all.

Au contraire. Shortly after I joined, I read all the old threads in the (at that time) Fanfic/Fanart forum. Just because old things aren't of interest to you, don't assume the same of all newly registered EoFFers (and older members, for that matter).

Kinda agree, kinda of disagree. First of all, it really is a subculture per se. Or was. I dont know. But the point is assign the mod to do the pruning of the useless junk that is backed up. Hell, I dont mean like a roaming mod, but a temporary one for the corner.

I don't think that would solve any problems, either. If you need staff assistance in the writer's corner, simply instant message or Private Message us and we'll take care of things.

Are you sure? Because the 60 thousand post in General seems to rival the 80 odd thousand in all of the ff gaming ones. And there 13 FF ones while I only counted General, EoEo , Lounge and Art in my scope of general. So is this really about gaming?

The primary focus has always been gaming, but since it's hardly to be expected that we all devote ourselves 100% to video games, no matter how engaging they may be, I think it makes sense that we add a couple non-gaming fora, yes?

Sorry if I stepped in where you were hoping Unne would again respond, but, those're my opinions on the matter.

Bannor
08-21-2002, 12:12 AM
A lot of things I post (although, admittedly, I haven't posted many writings here, especially in recent months) are posted as the idea hits me - examples being the poems I wrote last winter. This was the first place they were saved, and I hadn't saved a copy to my hard drive until last month.

Ok true. But in all honesty, that is one in maybe a hundred case. Sure people make alot of reference to old stuff in other forum but not in WC. I mean, if that is a problem then post an announcement that you are clearing out writers corner and all work that is past such and such a date is being deleted. Then give them a week or two to save their stuff.

I hardly think a subforum is the answer to the traffic problems. If people don't want to read and post responses to fanfic, seperating it from poetry will hardly change that.

Well that is exactly my point. It wont affect traffic, but it will help with pushing stuff down. I understand that a <i> Long </i> time ago it was different, but times change dont they? Dont focus on the past.

Au contraire. Shortly after I joined, I read all the old threads in the (at that time) Fanfic/Fanart forum. Just because old things aren't of interest to you, don't assume the same of all newly registered EoFFers (and older members, for that matter).

So we are saving a bunch of old stuff for nostalgia sake. Dont they have a forum for that? And really Daryl, how many people actually check out the old stuff? I am not saying delete it ALL, I am saying reduce the massizeness of it.

<quote> I don't think that would solve any problems, either. If you need staff assistance in the writer's corner, simply instant message or Private Message us and we'll take care of things. </quote>

But the whole point is you want to weed out the good stuff from the bad from the past right? Assign some one to do that then.

The primary focus has always been gaming, but since it's hardly to be expected that we all devote ourselves 100% to video games, no matter how engaging they may be, I think it makes sense that we add a couple non-gaming fora, yes?

True, but it doesnt seem all that engaging or all the primary if it becomes secondary to a smaller sub-forum(that being General(not genral chat)) But indeed this entire mb is based off of ff and therefore it tis centered on gaming. Newho I eagerly wait to to torn down, my argument to be dismissed as mindless prattle and to be throughly hosed and schooled by Dr Unne.(Heh)

-Bannor

Dr Unne
08-21-2002, 02:14 AM
We're considering a sub-forum, which wouldn't be a seperate forum, since it'd still be technically part of the Writer's Corner, but it'd help seperate stuff. Sub-forum isn't the same as "seperate" forum. When you say "seperate" I think of a new forum on the main page. I see no reason why we couldn't have a sub-forum. You are right about the floodgates though. But we're discussing it.

The Man
08-21-2002, 02:28 AM
<font color=38BCEE>I, personally, am not in favour of deleting any threads from the Writer's Corner at all. I think the judgment of whether writing is ace or crap should be left up to the people who read it, and I think they shouldn't be deprived of the opportunity to read it just because someone else thought it was crap.

I personally disapprove of the idea of subfora, since it means more clicking for me, but if it would make more people post to the Writer's Corner, I'd be in favour of it. I've been a bad WC supporter though. I haven't even looked in there in a long time. Then again, I haven't had time to do more than browse General Chat, Feedback and FFVI for about a month each time I come on EoFF anyhow. C'est la vie, I guess.

Peace
Kilgore Trout<font size=2>

Bannor
08-21-2002, 02:43 AM
Oh, you thought I mean an entire new forum? No no no, just a sub-forum.

Zypher
08-21-2002, 03:52 AM
To subforums: I say no. All my reasons have been said already, and I'm to lazy to point out which ones are mine. But just put my vote that way, or something.

The other thing I wanted to say: people do go back through old threads in the creative forums. I've done it. Just because those threads are old doesn't mean that they're worse, or not worth reading. There's some good stuff 'three pages back.'

Kumo
08-21-2002, 05:08 AM
Well, if the readers (actually there are no readers anymore in the WC, they are all posters) are the ones that decide if a fic is crap or not, then I guess my fic is utter crap. It hasn't had a repsonse (where somebody actually read it) since just about January. SO what if it's 27 chapters long . . . so what if I put my heart and soul and two years of work into it . . . Nobody is reading it, so it must be crap.

Really, the staff should care about stuff like this . . . especially the forum moderators for WC. Weren't they picked because they loved literature or read a lot in the WC? Weren't they picked for their merit and devotion to that forum? Or were they just given that forum as a benefit for being friends with other mods and admins . . .

I'm sorry, but I'm a mod at another fanfic forum, and I've never shirked off my responsibility as a mod. And I have never stopped loving fanfics and other originals. If I ever did, I would quit. If the mods are busy doing other things . . . spending their time elsewhere, then they should step down and perhaps let somebody else take a shot at modding the WC. This is why it angers me that you guys seemingly don't care, and this is why I fight for the conditions to improve. Do I have to prove to you admins that a subforum works? Do I have to prove that good moderating actually improves the traffic in forums? If so, I will.

The Great Experiment

http://www.ffwa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63

Take a look . . . browse around. There are two forums, one for originals and poetry, and the other for fanfic. They exist separately and function separately. Traffic is relatively good (we had about 100 posts in fanfic during peak times this summer), and the quality is improving with each day. I'm not saying that EOFF should become this, but I am saying that Bannor's idea could work, and work well. All it needs is a little work and patience. Again, nobody is asking that this all be done overnight, but over a period of time.

I'm willing to be a temp mod and to clean up everything if you want me too. I'm willing to put hundreds of hours into making the WC great, but you have to take a leap of faith. If nothing is done, then I will just leave . .. cause I'm sick of it all. I've been a member here for about two years with different accounts (damn crash), but dammit all to hell if I stay here any longer with the way things are.

And I'm sorry that I'm yelling at you mods and admins, and I know that it will get me nowhere, but I don't think you are seeing the benefits to some of my suggestions. Or . . if you really care.

Citizen Bleys
08-21-2002, 05:43 PM
The Staff discussion so far seems to be in favor of a subforum for poetry, and against promoting a moderator :(

I'd actually like to see a moderator dedicated to the Writer's Corner, but ultimately, EoFF's policy has been "Supermods, not mods" for a long time, and I don't see that changing.

LH
08-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Although in name you guys are Cid's Nights and Administrators, it doesn't mean you couldn't find a de facto moderator of the individual forums amongst your ranks to personally tend to the forum without being a mod for it in name, right?

Citizen Bleys
08-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LH
Although in name you guys are Cid's Nights and Administrators, it doesn't mean you couldn't find a de facto moderator of the individual forums amongst your ranks to personally tend to the forum without being a mod for it in name, right?

Funny you should mention that ;)

Dr Unne
08-21-2002, 08:57 PM
Yeah, we sort of came up with that idea when we were discussing it. We're probably going to "assign" one of the Mods we already have to specifically watch over the WC fairly closely.

Bannor
08-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Well YAY!!! for sub fora. Then secondly you are going to ""assign"" a person to watch the wc, so what does watching actually entail per se?

Kumo
08-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I guess that's enough to shut me up for now. And what exactly are this "Watcher's" powers? Will they be able to delete some of the spammier old threads (while leaving the better ones)? And again, we should be thinking of improving the posters themselves (promoting comments and critiques in a positive light/ cracking down on spammy comments and flames) so that the forums don't regress back into what they are right now.

For your sake, I hope this works. I'm probably going to delete my fic soon if nothing changes in the next few weeks. I'd rather focus on other forums where I have more of a chance of getting read by at least one person. And since you got rid of posts, this will only hurt the quality of the fics.

crono_logical
08-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted my Dr Unne
Yeah, we sort of came up with that idea when we were discussing it. We're probably going to "assign" one of the Mods we already have to specifically watch over the WC fairly closely.

Since the watcher is a current mod, s/he'll have full mod powers, of course :p

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Kumo
And since you got rid of posts, this will only hurt the quality of the fics.

If you need post counts enabled in order to write fan fictions, you're probably not writing good fan fictions.

1 sentence per post stories SUCK BALLS.

Kumo
08-22-2002, 07:23 AM
I totally agree Mr. Bleys. One sentence per posts stories do suck. They should all be closed or deleted. Shouldn't be a problem for me though since on average my chapters range around 4500 words. Has anybody ever seen my fic? I'm not the best, but I'm a damn good writer.

Posted by Bleys

If you need post counts enabled in order to write fan fictions, you're probably not writing good fan fictions.

I never said that. My point was that the quality of fics were going to suffer with the less fics out there to read. I guess I think highly enough of my fics that if I get rid of them, the quality of the forums will decrease. But then again, nobody has read them in months so it probably doesn't matter.

Spatvark
08-22-2002, 12:39 PM
Subfora? Nay, we are but men![/Tenacious D]

Single mod to oversee the WC? Well, it'll need to be a mod who writes I think since you do get very different responses from writers. For me that narrows it down to Britt, Bleys, Unne, Proto and Daryl. Now, Britt, Bleys and Unne are both Admins so they've got enough on their plates as it is which leaves Proto and Daryl... and out of these two, I'd like to nominate Daryl for the job... (sowwy Pr00t)

One more thing to go. There is most definitely a whole WC subculture and it's been going for quite a while; mostly consisting of me, Bannor, Kumo, OWA, Shira, Tokkiquil and Zypher. We've been there for months on our own, writing stories and poems, replying to each others works and stuff... well, not actually replying to Kumo's Impact but the rest of it. We mostly only talk to each other on chat programs, we've joined other fora on mass and we are honestly our own small group. Denying it is ridiculous and to be honest, it's this subculture that's stopped the WC from being a total waste of time. However, now a lot of us don't have the time to be here so often anymore and I've watched it slide a hell of a lot...

Let's just be honest, as long as I've been here, EoFF has never been particularly great for writers, that's just how it is. I'm loathe to say it, but I would recommend any serious writers here to try other fora. Even, god forbid, FFOnline who actually have a half decent writing section... or so I'm told since I can't sign up coz' I'm on blueyonder... BAH! Don't get rid of the section here but don't expect it to go through huge leaps and bounds either. EoFF just isn't a fora with lots of good writers...

Loony BoB
08-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Well it aint Daryl, sorry mate. And I do write! ...kinda! I've written heaps of poems (about ten?) and I've started a fic ;_;

So yeah. Purely since you discluded me from your little list, I'm going to delete every thread you ever make. *nods firmly* That'll teach you to mess with the guy who's gonna look after your lovely WC ;D

*luvz spt*

Yeah, I'll start being all watchful etc. when I get my new PC hooked up to the internet. Not this Saturday, but the next, that is.

The Man
08-22-2002, 02:07 PM
<font color=38bcee>Another thing that might help the Writer's Corner is the discussion of literature -- that's one of the avowed purposes of the Corner, but few people actually use it for that purpose. I think if we did have more people discussing their favourite authors and such, it might bring a crowd into the forum who might not otherwise go there, and then, fan fictions and poetry might get more readings than they currently do. The Vonnegut thread <font color="7dd7ff" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='bbeeff';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='7dd7ff';">here</font> (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23253) is one of the first of its kind I've seen in awhile.

It also might help for people to put links to their latest literary works in their signatures. Such links can be really small -- look at the links in my sig -- and I don't think there's anything wrong with a little self-promotion in one's signature.

Peace

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Spatvark
For me that narrows it down to Britt, Bleys, Unne, Proto and Daryl. Now, Britt, Bleys and Unne are both Admins so they've got enough on their plates as it is

Britt resigned months ago, ace.

Spatvark
08-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Britt resigned months ago, ace.

That's what happens when you barely turn up for months...

Loony BoB
08-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Okay, once I get that broadband I'll begin going through the threads... now, I want someone to tell me if they want their thread deleted. Anyone. Who would WANT that? And what gives me the right to say 'this is crap, this is not, this should go, this should stay' etc.? I'm sorry, but I don't think that I'll do that. But if anyone wants to elect for their old threads to be deleted, tell me and I'll check out what stories etc. they have posted up and delete the older ones. NOW we'll see who wants that to go ahead >=P

I for one will keep all my poems in there, given that I, along with Daryl, do not save all my work to a personal computer.

Yet. ;D

What else would you guys have me do as a WC-intensive mod?

The Man
08-22-2002, 07:08 PM
<font color=38bcee>Ya know what, if people want to delete a thread of theirs, they can just delete their first post in that thread, unless it's closed. It's not that hard, and I dunno why Daniel should be subjected to doing all that work, really. *shrug*

Peace
Kilgore Trout</font>

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 08:07 PM
The Poet's Corner was approved by staff and added today.

Kumo
08-23-2002, 04:09 AM
What I did at my forums a couple months ago was start from the back (the very last topic we had), and then look at when the last time the person posted was. If they hadn't posted in the last 7 months or so, I deleted their thread. That gets rid of everything that is unfinished for the most part. If you come across finished fics, maybe you should think about Archiving them . . . that would be nice.

This is of course, after all the poetry was moved into the other forum. I am happy that something is finally being done, thanks admins. I'm sure you won't regret this in the future.

Spatvark
08-23-2002, 05:45 AM
Uhm, html doesn't seem to work in the Poetry Corner...

Dr Unne
08-23-2002, 05:54 AM
Fixed.

Citizen Bleys
08-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Spatvark
Uhm, html doesn't seem to work in the Poetry Corner...

>< 'cause I did a sloppy, poor job of setting it up :(

Spuuky
08-23-2002, 11:53 AM
<font color=38bcee>
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout
The Vonnegut thread <font color="7dd7ff" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:over="this.color='bbeeff';" :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:out="this.color='7dd7ff';">here</font> (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23253) is one of the first of its kind I've seen in awhile.
</font>I was actually wondering where that thread had gone, since I never check the Writer's Corner. If people actually started discussing literature there, I might have to make it one of my frequent stops. Unfortunately, I doubt that a particularly large percentage of EoFF would be willing to use their posting time in such a way. It might get more people in there, and then undoubtedly more people would eventually view the writings that are posted in there.

But sadly, I've got nothing more to contribute about Vonnegut, except to say that Kilgore Trout is by far the best name I've ever seen.

EDIT: But, ya know, The Trout already brought this up. I guess I'm being redundant. It's a good plan, though. It should be promoted, somehow.

The Man
08-23-2002, 05:39 PM
<font color=38bcee>I've always been frustrated, actually, at how little literature discussion happens in the Writer's Corner. Probably most people don't know that the Writer's Corner can be used to discuss literature, and if they knew, they'd come, so it's something of a catch-22. (Ha! ... ... actually, Catch-22 is on my list of books to read still). I dunno... the forum description of the Writer's Corner even says, "This is also a place for the discussion of literature itself," which makes me kinda wonder how many people really read those things. ;)

At any rate, I'd encourage people to make threads about any authors or literary works that they feel really enthusiastic about. It might help stir up some debate in the Writer's Corner, and really, the fora that have the liveliest debates also seem to be the most active ones. So y'no.

Somebody really has it in for trouts, I'd say. Interestingly, the word was only censored again after my name changed to reflect a Vonnegut character whose last name coincidentally happened to be "Trout." Well, :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: this! *gets shot by a sniper*
Peace

Loony BoB
08-23-2002, 05:55 PM
I'm still unsure as to what I would be doing if I was to be some WC-intensive mod. Please, tell me?

Spatvark
08-23-2002, 08:26 PM
Actually, this is something I really should have mentioned. What the others are more looking for isn't really a moderator, it's someone who reads most of the work there and replies to it. The reason a mod has been asked for is so it seems like it's a person of power who's doing it all, a leader of sorts or heh, a champion in our corner...

To be honest, this is what we all used to do but it's caved in really. I'm a staff member on another board so that, coupled with too much Diablo, is chewing up all my time. Bannor has been on holiday for a while and god knows about the rest of them...

Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to read and reply to practically everything and set an example to everyone else there. This post will self-destruct... whenever I work out where the hell our pyrotechnics budget went!

Loony BoB
08-23-2002, 08:59 PM
So I read? Bloody hell. You need someone to be MODDED to do that? Wow. Well, I don't see what difference I could possibly make, but I'll give it a shot. Like I said, let me get my own PC & 'net access though. I have limited time on this sheehite netcafe.

Tokki Wartooth
08-24-2002, 01:27 AM
Yay for subforums! <s>I'm so glad all those annoying poems are out of the way now.</s> I really do think Writer's Corner need, like, a Writer's Corner Moderator, but I guess that's up to the EoFF staff.

*considers starting to post at WC again*

Citizen Bleys
08-24-2002, 02:31 AM
Drat. the :skull: smiley worked when I tested it on the censor filter :(

Spatvark
08-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that Bleys...

Calliope
08-26-2002, 04:53 AM
are you going to shift all the poems into the poets corner?

Agent Proto
08-26-2002, 05:06 AM
I already moved poems in the first two pages. :p

Calliope
08-26-2002, 08:58 AM
yeah. now do the rest. now. *cracks whip*

Kumo
08-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Hey Loony Bob, you shouldn't JUST read, you should also be looking out for people who flame other writers saying things like "This fic sucks and you should be killed". A mod's job is to report that to the higher ups and to help the WC be a clean, writer and reader friendly environment. Perhaps you should start deleting all the dead/abandoned threads from years past in the WC as well, Just keep the stuff that has been posted in the last year or so. If you have that power of course . . .

And now that I'm down at college, I might just be reading a bit more myself. Right now, there is a hell of a lot of cleaning to be done, so don't expect me on for another week or so.

Loony BoB
08-26-2002, 09:11 PM
I will say this now - I for one will NOT go around deleting any works, finished or not. I don't like that idea at all.

Dr Unne
08-26-2002, 10:02 PM
No deleting, nope. We don't delete stuff around here.

Calliope
08-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Thank Goodness. Yeah Towns, just keep doing Townslike stuff. Like WRITING. You can't be the forum mod if you don't write regularly, but I spose you've got more time now to do your rpgstorything :D

Citizen Bleys
08-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
No deleting, nope. We don't delete stuff around here.

Yeah, that would be rather silly, wouldn't it, we'd never delete anything at all. Now I'm going to go browse my favorite six-month-old threads in General Chat. *nods*