PDA

View Full Version : Hi. The search function isn't working for me.

The Man
08-22-2002, 12:37 AM
<font color=38BCEE>Whenever I type in a valid user name and a text query, I get no results whatsoever. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

Peace
Kilgore Trout<font size=2>

Yamaneko
08-22-2002, 01:02 AM
It works fine for me, but it might be because the search index was taken out about five days ago, making searches a little slower, but maybe in your case, non-existent. That or the server timed out or something. Just guessing here. *awaits admin or something*

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 01:59 AM
Works fine for me

Attachment is a screenshot I took four seconds ago.

If I can't duplicate the problem, I can't fix it :(

crono_logical
08-22-2002, 03:02 AM
Perhaps tell us exactly what you searched for and see if we can recreate the problem?

The Man
08-22-2002, 04:16 AM
<font color=38BCEE><s>Specifically, it doesn't seem to work when 'Kishi is part of the search. I used "Kawaii" plus "Match Partial Name" and got nothing; I used "Kawaii Ryűkishi" plus "Match Exact Name" and got nothing. Plus, I searched for "Paladin Ring" with no user name, period, and got nothing.</s>

Dunno. Maybe it's just a problem with my user account. And I was trying it on a different computer. I'll try it with this computer now and see if the results still refuse to show up.

<font color=38e897>Edit: Okay, what happens is I never get any results when I'm searching with both a user name and keywords. Searching just with a user name or just with keywords is fine, but if I have both, I get no results. And I've used obvious things like looking for "môgri" and "Kawaii Ryűkishi," or "Peace" and "Del Murder" -- I know those should be giving me results.</font>

Peace

crono_logical
08-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Interesting.

I have no idea what the cause is xD

EDIT: Hmm, perhaps something do to with Bleys clearing the old Search table to save 150 MB or so on the database size, and perhaps some counter wasn't reset with it? But I don't really know xD

Spuuky
08-22-2002, 09:25 AM
I think the problem might be that if there's a user name, it fails to search the entire post. I typed in a keyword that I knew was in the title of a thread Del Murder had recently posted in (namely 'love' for Bleys' Halifax thread) and typed in 'Del Murder' without the quotes, and it gave me that thread (and even his specific post, if I set it to return results by post). It just seems to only be searching thread titles.

EDIT: Then again, it does seem to work, sometimes. It works if I use wildcards, for instance... Sometimes, still. Not always. Wow, how weird.

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 02:38 PM
That screenshot I took earlier was taken using both keywords and a user name--although I can't remember WHICH keyword and what username now :(

The Man
08-22-2002, 03:01 PM
<font color=38BCEE>A search for "Peace" posted by "Kilgore Trout" gave me only twenty-three thread results, which is obviously wrong since I'd started forty-two threads at last count (admittedly, that was before the pruning, but there's no way in heck I've posted in only twenty-three threads in my history at EoFF). All of the threads were extremely recent, as in after the pruning happened, so... I dunno. Methinks something's sorta messed up. How it'd be fixed, I have no clue.

Peace

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Meh, probably the search index--But restoring that would just about double the size of the db.

The Man
08-22-2002, 03:40 PM
<font color=38BCEE>Carpola. It sounds unfixable then. I don't really understand why it should be so hard for the database to AND two searches in the first place, but woteva.

Peace

Yamaneko
08-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. When you start a thread your current user name will stay in place even when you change your user name, ie. The Man, Darth Manly, Kilgore Trout, etc. But only in the thread title, not the actual thread(your name will change automatically in everyone of your posts) So maybe the search option doesn't check the actual thread, but the title for who posted in the thread, hence giving Manny only twenty-so results since he changed his name. Again just a guess.

EDIT: Maybe your being too specific. Hopefully it's just that though.

The Man
08-22-2002, 06:14 PM
<font color=38BCEE>Awhile back, I searched for results with "Peace" in their text and "The Man" as the username and got no results. So there's your answer.

Update: I did a few more searches and found out that I'd posted in far more than 23 threads as "Kilgore Trout." Additionally, searching for "Kilgore Trout" without any keywords gave me 1109 results or something.

I'm thinking that the keywords function is actually messed up. Now that I think of it, I've not gotten some results in the past few days that I was sure I should have been getting.

Re-edit: Yep, that's it. The keywords query got wiped with the pruning. Dunno if there's a fix for this. I certainly miss having it, but if it's too much trouble to regain, then don't worry about it, I guess. May it rest in PEACE.

Re˛-edit: Apparently, the vBulletin fora no longer require you to own a copy of the software to register, merely to specify which version you're using. I haven't registered because it doesn't feel right for me to go on and register, but if anyone wants to ask about the problem on vBulletin's fora, I wouldn't mind their doing so, seeing as I miss the search function greatly :mog:

Peace