PDA

View Full Version : gil

bki
08-22-2002, 01:43 PM
could we have a gil hack installed???
...then use the gil to...buy stuff???

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Absolutely not. Gil system = based on post counts = incentive to spam.

bki
08-22-2002, 02:45 PM
well then...if you don't get for posting and get it for maybe helping out, winning competitions etc instead...that won't cause people to spam...

The Man
08-22-2002, 02:52 PM
<font color=38bcee>That'd really take quite a lot of people's time to judge whether people were being helpful or not. I'd imagine it would be left to the staff to do that. That's time that the staff could be using to solve more pressing issues like dealing with flaming and, y'know, running the board. A Gil system could also easily turn into a class system (I believe part of why post counts were eliminated was that they were creating a sort of "class system" that certain members held by) and could also lead to people accusing the staff of showing favoritism. I don't think either of those are wanted.

It seems nice on paper, but really, the Gil system would just be a bunch of numbers. You'll probably find out how accepted and helpful you are in the EoFF community pretty quickly without even asking if you're active, and I think the responses of members show a lot more than how much "money" you have. It might work well on other boards, but I just can't see how it would mesh well with EoFF at this point in time.

But I'm not a staff member, so woteva.

Peace
Kilgore Trout<font size=2>

Garland
08-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Rewarding people for being helpful in someway is the point of the recognized member status I think. Too many rewards become redundant. Once everyone is getting rewarded on a consistant basis, the rewards are no longer special.

edczxcvbnm
08-27-2002, 04:13 PM
A gil hack sounds cool and every thing but it will become very bad later on. People will just spam the hell out of everything. A thread that normally gets 5-6 posts would get 29 because people would keep talking to get more gil.

That is the way it use to be with post counts but they got rid of them to help reduce that kind of pointless posting. It worked to some extent.

Where as I would like to buy things based on how active I am it just wouldn't work out because

1) These Forums(I refuse to say Fora) are too big and it has too many members

2) There are alot of people out there like Myself, Kawaii, and Drex use to be who got up to and past 3000 posts in 5 months.

3) We are trying to conserve on space here so that the database and what have you doesn't become oversized and adding a bunch of more pictures and variables for 3000 some odd members is just going to take up more space over time. Where as it doesn't seem like alot. Add in 5 lines of code to each post * 100,000 posts = alot of space...I think that works.

Although(like I already said) it would be pretty cool.

The PC Fascist
08-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Well, i like shinra's gil system. You make art or tags, poems, fanfics, you get gil. No post count gil.

Del Murder
08-29-2002, 03:51 AM
I completely agree with Bleys. The last thing we need is another incentive to spam. We should spam purely for the spam, and nothing more. That is the art in its truest form. True spammers need no incentive.

Calliope
08-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Well said.

By the way, what the hell is gil?

Shoyku
08-30-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Calliope
Well said.

By the way, what the hell is gil?
Gil is FF money.

Calliope
08-30-2002, 05:53 AM
Oh! Actually, I wouldn't mind being paid to post. Or paid not to post.

Citizen Bleys
08-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Calliope
Oh! Actually, I wouldn't mind being paid to post. Or paid not to post.

Yeah, you'd think 100 would have been enough to shut you up. *glare*